Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A car with blown headlights is also drivable, doesn’t mean you should drive it or you won’t get a ticket if you’re driving at night.

Correct. But in this case your headlights, HVAC, and turn signals are still working. (Even if you can't hear the turn signal indicators.) So I think it is perfectly legal to still drive it.

But, it still has to be fixed. The big deal is that it doesn't leave you stranded requiring a tow to the service center.

Correct. But in this case your headlights, HVAC, and turn signals are still working. (Even if you can't hear the turn signal indicators.) So I think it is perfectly legal to still drive it.

But, it still has to be fixed. The big deal is that it doesn't leave you stranded requiring a tow to the service center.

No, it’s not drive-able. Among other things, can’t use defroster - try not having one during a Chicago winter.

No, it’s not drive-able. Among other things, can’t use defroster - try not having one during a Chicago winter.

You state that as a fact, have you actually tested it? NHTSA has said that the current software turns the HVAC to auto set to 71.6 when the eMMC fails. So it should still defrost the windshield.

Haven’t been able to download the latest software because we live in a condo - each time we’ve gone somewhere with WiFi the screen has frozen even after multiple reboots. The next Tesla appointment is a month out.

Last edited:
Does it really? People have driven their cars for weeks without the Tegra daughtercard even installed. The car is driveable even without the screen being up and running. (Even more so now that they have made changes to make sure the headlights/HVAC are on auto and bypassing PIN-to-drive when the eMMC fails.)

Wheh was the last time someone has done this? What iteration of the software? I know with the last when my mcu crashed I have access to nothing. Air turns off. Wipers turn off. Headlights abs DRL turn off. Today in fact my MCU crashed and when I barely touched the accelerator my car lurched forward. VERY narrowly missing hitting the car in front of me. It reminded me of launch mode. Had I not slammed on the brakes if he saying something different.

So here we are at the end of the day 2 weeks later. Has anyone heard of any response from Tesla? Is it all being overcasted by the big news of profits and S/X refreshes?
Note as per the letter, the response is only required to the NHTSA official in the letter. Tesla does not have to make it public, nor does NHTSA. However, if NHTSA does respond to the response, then we'll likely see it public, but probably will take a couple of days.

Today given the earnings call and all the other news, probably most media is not focused on the recall.

Does it really? People have driven their cars for weeks without the Tegra daughtercard even installed. The car is driveable even without the screen being up and running. (Even more so now that they have made changes to make sure the headlights/HVAC are on auto and bypassing PIN-to-drive when the eMMC fails.)

It's not all about hard failures of the MCU. My MCU is locking up and rebooting every few days now. Takes 1-2 reboots to get it back, at 5+ minutes each. Tesla says this is a known SW bug that will be fixed "in the future".

During this, I don't have any HVAC. It definitely doesn't go to some default- I had a very cold drive a few days ago for the first 20 minutes. AP doesn't work when this is happening either, and warns me that many safety features are unavailable. I have no idea what the state of my headlights are, and I don't have the legally required backup camera.

By your definition, a car with no windshield, seat belts, iffy brakes, and stuck in 3rd gear is equally "drivable".

I'm under the impression some people believe the car is still drivable despite having a dead center console. Allow me to share my experience last 2018.

I noticed my touch screen froze when I left my house for work. No problem... reboot the screen. The screen went black and never restarted. Figured I'll get this dealt with later. When I arrived at work and was my time to charge at my work's ChargePoint charger, the Model S would not charge. It could be because it is stuck in scheduled charging mode for the evening, I don't know. I had about 30% battery left and panicked so I either called the roadside assistance number first, or tried a nearby Supercharger, thinking a supercharge will bypass the scheduled charging. Either way, the Model S also did not charge from a supercharger. I was very fortunate the Tesla rep considered this to be an emergency (with having less than 30% SOC left) that the Fremont Service Center took me in without an appointment.

Don't tell me my car is still considered "driveable". I would hate for this to have happened to me while out on a long distance road trip.

Are you guys aware of the arbitration process. If your car is under warranty, and if something doesn’t work, you make them fix it. You need your facts and be able to present it in a coherent way. You have to focus on the problem and let them figure out what they have to do to fix it. Doesn’t matter if it is drivable of not.

With the new horizontal displays for model s introduced today, I am wondering if there is a finite period during which MCU2 upgrade will be available. I would like to wait for the recall process to work itself out, but I am also wondering how long before the vertical display is completely phased out. Any thoughts?

They have plenty of mcu2. Theres about 2 years of S and X they will need to support

Are you guys aware of the arbitration process. If your car is under warranty, and if something doesn’t work, you make them fix it. You need your facts and be able to present it in a coherent way. You have to focus on the problem and let them figure out what they have to do to fix it. Doesn’t matter if it is drivable of not.

I opted out of the arbitration process (like all new Tesla owners should). But I agree- Once Tesla makes it clear my non-eMMC MCU1 issues would be solved by MCU2, I'll upgrade to MCU2 and take them to small claims court to get my $2k back. The car is under warranty, it has advertised features that do not work, and they know how to fix it.

Screenshot_20210128-110056.jpg

Lol. This is absurd. The car guesses what shift to put in and override on the touchscreen. So when touchscreen dies, you cant move the car. Because Tesla has such great history with reliable touchscreens and auto features (see autopark)

View attachment 631557

Lol. This is absurd. The car guesses what shift to put in and override on the touchscreen. So when touchscreen dies, you cant move the car. Because Tesla has such great history with reliable touchscreens and auto features (see autopark)
Usually I like to stay on top of technology and upgrade but in this case... there is no way I will be upgrading.

Short of autopilot the Porsche Taycan is looking quite appealing right about now.

Reactions: David.85D
Someday... oh... someday... it would be lovely to be a fly on the wall (or an iphone set to record) and listen in to the engineering meetings with topics such as:

Get rid of P-R-N-D as we've always known it...

Get rid of the steering wheel as we've always known it...

Let's load the new car with an upgraded chip and memory to improve video-game access...

Say what ? That older Model S issue ? Who cares. Let's table it till the next quarter and until after the next earnings call.