Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Investigates Failing MCUs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it matters how many people submit a complaint at this point. The NHTSA has already requested information from Tesla on every vehicle with a MCU1 installed and what the condition of the eMMC is, how many have been fixed under warranty, how many have been fixed by Telsa out of warranty, and how many appear to have had the eMMC replaced with a third-party chip. (Along with requesting a lot of additional information.)

While responding to that request Tesla might decide it is best to issue a voluntary recall. Or not. I guess we will see.

Just as a data point: what is pretty much the equivalent of NHTSA in the UK has already reviewed the MCU failings and determined that it isn't a safety issue that requires a recall because it doesn't impact the ability of the driver to safely control the vehicle, pull over, and determine if it is safe for them to continue to drive. (Or something along those lines.)

Well that sucks. So Tesla is just very sleazy in how they chose to handle this

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
Tesla is going to give as many people as possible an opportunity to buy an MCU2 for $2500 before they voluntarily recall any MCU1s. I wouldn't count on anything soon.

My exact words to SC when dropping off my failed MCU1...

Can I pay to upgrade to MCU2? No...

I am outside of the warranty so they are expecting me to pay and still drive off with an MCU1...

Now maybe this will change a few months from now...we will see.

Do you have a link to a Tesla document that cites the 4 year warranty for purchased MCUs? I’d like to pass it on to Tesla service. Thanks in advance.

They have updated the warranty and reduced the coverage: Touchscreen and Media Control Unit: 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf?redirect=no

I wonder when they did that.

Edit: As of June 1st, 2020 it was still a full 4 years: Wayback Machine

Last edited:
Do you have a link to a Tesla document that cites the 4 year warranty for purchased MCUs? I’d like to pass it on to Tesla service. Thanks in advance.
Take a look at the support page and the warranty. There should be a document called limited warranty of such sort. There it is described, but I can tell you that this document can be new for sec's. I managed to get confirmation of this after 3 months of calling and mailing with the sec

From above link: it's 2 years/25k

Coverage Period - Parts This Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the Part(s)’ purchase date and provides coverage for the period of 12 months or 12,500 miles (20,000 km), whichever comes first, with the exception that specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods as outlined in the table below: Sheet Metal Limited Lifetime Drive Unit* 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first Vehicle High Voltage Battery* 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first Wall Connector 4 years Touchscreen and Media Control Unit 2 years or 25,000 mile

Reactions: MP3Mike
The service writers don’t even know about the change. I emailed on June 10th and they wrote;

Hello,

Unfortunately the MCU2 is not yet available for your vehicle at this time and we don’t have an ETA as to when it will be available. A replacement MCU1 with a 4 year warranty is available for $2,675.00 plus tax.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

| Service Advisor

1636 West 4th Ave., Vancouver, BC, V6J 1L9

[email protected] |
#######@tesla.com

General questions/support: Tesla.com/support.

24/7 Roadside Assistance: 1-877-798-3752

O
r it maybe different up here in Canada?

The service writers don’t even know about the change. I emailed on June 10th and they wrote;

Hello,

Unfortunately the MCU2 is not yet available for your vehicle at this time and we don’t have an ETA as to when it will be available. A replacement MCU1 with a 4 year warranty is available for $2,675.00 plus tax.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

| Service Advisor

1636 West 4th Ave., Vancouver, BC, V6J 1L9

[email protected] |
#######@tesla.com

General questions/support: Tesla.com/support.

24/7 Roadside Assistance: 1-877-798-3752

O
r it maybe different up here in Canada?
Lol

Getting caught without replacement parts available is just further insult to the affected owners. We were days away from buying another Tesla then battery gate then my own MCU failure. Then drive unit. Then main battery. Don’t think the wife would take one for free at this point. They’ve done real harm to the Tesla brand with the changes to service.

And the public is supposed to believe that Tesla vehicles have. much less maintenance than the typical ICE vehicle? Lol.

Last edited:
I read most of these, & I find it strange that Tesla would not just replace the screen, so they can learn how to make better screens regardless if it rare or not, its the main control interface for the vehicle, & it gets so far less usage time than a phone or tablet, so as much as I get that it cost Tesla money to fix these displays, its just another engineering problem they have to fix, preferably not at the customer cost.

Many/most of us now have external storage in our cars for Sentry/Dashcam. What SHOULD happen, is that this storage should also be used for temp storage, so things like logs, music caching, games, easter eggs, etc can be done where the loss is insignificant. The permanent storage can be used for firmware only. This minimizes the overall size in the emmc, and it allows for easy and fast recovery in case of a major failure.

Many/most of us now have external storage in our cars for Sentry/Dashcam. What SHOULD happen, is that this storage should also be used for temp storage, so things like logs, music caching, games, easter eggs, etc can be done where the loss is insignificant. The permanent storage can be used for firmware only. This minimizes the overall size in the emmc, and it allows for easy and fast recovery in case of a major failure.

They are most likely not going to open up to something like this as it leads to tampering...

Any commodity flash storage device could be soldered to the MCU, say a micro SD reader like we use on modern enterprise servers. This would make more sense from a servicing standpoint for sure but my guess is they don’t want you to be able to easily remove and read the data.

Hello,

It could have still been 4-years as of June 10th. At this point we only know it changed sometime between 6/1 and 7/3. (Or maybe with your evidence we can narrow that to 6/11-7/3.)

They are most likely not going to open up to something like this as it leads to tampering...

Any commodity flash storage device could be soldered to the MCU, say a micro SD reader like we use on modern enterprise servers. This would make more sense from a servicing standpoint for sure but my guess is they don’t want you to be able to easily remove and read the data.

Encrypt it.

Eventually they are going to have to stop adding new things like they needed with MCU1 or they will run into the same shortened lifespan problem.

I'm sure that will come.... especially as they keep adding more (imo) bloat with games and apps like Trax. I have nothing against the games, but certainly not at the expense of longevity. It really is controllable built in obsolescence. Just pump out more c**p to fill up the eMMC / NV memory and you can bring on predictable earlier failure.

It's not about ambient heat.

Surely "It's not {only} about ambient heat." No?

Most if not all components have shorter life expectancy when operated at higher temps?

Reactions: Chaserr