Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightmare Tesla experience- all from a flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as
Sorry to hear of your problems. I'm a fellow Gas Passer. I just traded in my 2021 Model S Plaid last Tuesday because I had it with the slow and poor service experience from Tesla. I did not have faith that they could make timely repairs on my car. Uber credits don't work when you are on call and need to get into the hospital in the middle of the night. On a positive note, I'm enjoying my new 2023 BMW X5 45e. Not nearly as fast, but it is much more quiet, drives smoother, and has a much more reliable dealer network in my experience. I took a decent sized sized hit on the trade in, but it bought me peace of mind.

totally understand that. I have a backup Kia Telluride also, but couldnt do my job with Uber credits. So ridiculous by Tesla to not offer loaners

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
First of all Sorry for your experience, but

1. Tesla's do not come with wheel locks so you need to contact the person who sold you the car to get that.They might be Tesla's wheel lock but they are aftermarket.
2. You should count your blessing that the tire shop knew about the jack pads before lifting and destroying your 120k car. Just do your homework and you will see every Tesla owner has them (they are like $20 from Amazon)

The problem with the 21s is usually availability and that most Tire shop won't touch them because of the acoustic foam, so even for a fixable patch they will tell you to buy a new one unless you change them to the none-acoustic ones which will increase road noise by 1-2 dB. And this is not a Tesla issue as other car manufacturer use them on low profile tires.

Having special treatment for specific cars is not a new thing, go check Porsches and how nightmarish it is to deal with their center lug!!

as

totally understand that. I have a backup Kia Telluride also, but couldnt do my job with Uber credits. So ridiculous by Tesla to not offer loaners
I came from for other German and luxury cars and during the pandemic loaners became like a unicorn!!! only way to get them is to schedule service ahead of time (wish Tesla will do that) but for emergencies you are out of luck like Tesla. So this is not a Apple-Apple comparison.

On the other hand Tesla Mobile service hands down is the best, for all easy tasks that needed you to go a to a dealer before and wait for 3 hours, they will come and fix it in your drive way!!

I purchased a used nissan from a nissan dealer. They had no clue about the wheel locks. Luckily I noticed them before I was stranded.

I found an old invoice with the prior owner name and they sent me the wheel lock “key”.

Otherwise, I had a tire place that said they could get them off for $75. Basically beat a socket on it from what I could tell.

It’s a used car problem.

Reactions: Lephturn and KJD
I came from for other German and luxury cars and during the pandemic loaners became like a unicorn!!! only way to get them is to schedule service ahead of time (wish Tesla will do that) but for emergencies you are out of luck like Tesla. So this is not a Apple-Apple comparison.

On the other hand Tesla Mobile service hands down is the best, for all easy tasks that needed you to go a to a dealer before and wait for 3 hours, they will come and fix it in your drive way!!
1. Tesla Mobile Service is ONLY good if you live within a certain distance of a Service Center. They will not drive 5 hours to repair your car no matter what the problem is.

2. Getting your car fixed at a Tesla Service Center has its own share of problems. Parts are not in stock and may take a few weeks to get. You may also be weeks out to get an appointment in the first place. Fun times if your heat pump fails in the middle of the winter and you don’t have a second car or they don’t give you a loaner. Try to live with Uber credits for a few weeks of inconvenience.

As an organization Tesla needs to step up and create a lot more Service Centers and have a good supply of loaners. They also need to establish several large parts warehouses to ensure timely delivery of repair parts.

Unless you live close to a Tesla Service Center, have a minor repair or availability of Tesla Ranger Service, the other car brands have them beat by a mile.

1. Tesla Mobile Service is ONLY good if you live within a certain distance of a Service Center. They will not drive 5 hours to repair your car no matter what the problem is.
The closest TSC to me, which is over 2 hours away, said they staff mobile Service by the amount of cars in an area. There is a mobile hub in the city I live in where they keep parts for repairs due to the amount of Teslas in my proximity.

I won't assume all do things the same as my SC still provides loaners as of June.

The closest TSC to me, which is over 2 hours away, said they staff mobile Service by the amount of cars in an area. There is a mobile hub in the city I live in where they keep parts for repairs due to the amount of Teslas in my proximity.

I won't assume all do things the same as my SC still provides loaners as of June.
Tesla only has 19 Service Centers in ALL OF CANADA coast to coast. Unless you live close to one that is a real problem.

Sorry to hear of your problems. I'm a fellow Gas Passer. I just traded in my 2021 Model S Plaid last Tuesday because I had it with the slow and poor service experience from Tesla. I did not have faith that they could make timely repairs on my car. Uber credits don't work when you are on call and need to get into the hospital in the middle of the night. On a positive note, I'm enjoying my new 2023 BMW X5 45e. Not nearly as fast, but it is much more quiet, drives smoother, and has a much more reliable dealer network in my experience. I took a decent sized sized hit on the trade in, but it bought me peace of mind.
And, as a side benefit, more business in the hospital from your GHG-dumping BMW!

After your 30-ish miles on battery (if you plug it in?) you'll end up with some 20 mpg and lots of GHG's out the tailpipe, so more heat strokes, pulmonary issues, heart attacks, drownings (from floods), and so on.

Given your valid concerns re: Tesla Service, it would have been far better to have simply gone with another EV brand, especially as BMW also has an X5-based EV as well:

As a physician I would have hoped you would have remained a part of the solution, vs. part of the problem. Please consider replacing the GHG-spewing BMW as soon as possible, and make more considered choices going forward.

Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: Propofoln
that looks fairly easy. Most auto places do this all the time, hammer a socket on it and crank it loose.

After a place had to do that with mine long, long, long ago, I never used wheel locks again. You can defeat them in seconds.
Now I have $100 insurance deductable.

I wonder if you could stick some JBweld in a large socket, put it over the lock wait a few hours, then just zip it off!
Same here. I just pounded a socket onto the nut when I had this problem.

Reactions: Lephturn
And, as a side benefit, more business in the hospital from your GHG-dumping BMW!

After your 30-ish miles on battery (if you plug it in?) you'll end up with some 20 mpg and lots of GHG's out the tailpipe, so more heat strokes, pulmonary issues, heart attacks, drownings (from floods), and so on.

Given your valid concerns re: Tesla Service, it would have been far better to have simply gone with another EV brand, especially as BMW also has an X5-based EV as well:

As a physician I would have hoped you would have remained a part of the solution, vs. part of the problem. Please consider replacing the GHG-spewing BMW as soon as possible, and make more considered choices going forward.

Thanks!
Wow. Just Wow.

Wow. Just Wow.
Tact isn't my strong point, but facts are.

We're dealing with incredibly consequential individual choices and when I see otherwise intelligent people making stunningly dumb choices, it makes my head spin. Like it or not, doctors are thought leaders in their community, and people watch what they do with the expectation that they're a cut above average in intelligence and wisdom. The OP failed here.

YES, he purchased a used Tesla, and Tesla did not check the lug nuts to ensure there was a key for the locking lug nut. He was quickly introduced into TCSH (Tesla Customer Service Hell). ALL VALID POINTS OF ANGST. Frankly, Tesla has grown so fast and become so inept on some very basic things that it needs an ombudsman to fix insane outcomes like this. (ELON: Get on this as you're pissing people off!)

BUT for the OP to then dump his Tesla for a GHG-dumping BMW 3-ton mild-hybrid SUV is just irrationally stupid.

Choices matter.

If the facts make some uncomfortable, perhaps that's a reminder: it's time for some first principles thinking, and a look in the mirror . . . .

There is no more neutrality in the world. You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem.
--Eldridge Cleaver

I remain gobsmacked at how many otherwise ostensibly educated and intelligent people are beyond clueless as to the planetary-scale risks posed by over a century of unchecked GHG dumping. We are playing with fire here and, last I checked, there is no "Planet B" spare planet around for an escape option. Positive feedback loops are a pretty surefire way to destroy an entire planet, yet the number of people not on the TMC forums (and far too many ON these forums) that have no friggin' clue honestly suggests we may already be doomed.

The OP is far from alone. After we loaned our family dentist our MS Performance for a few days (she loved it), we ended up dumping her after she replaced her Lexus SUV with a GHG-spewing BMW. We prefer to not financially support someone with such grossly limited bandwidth that makes such "Don't give a damn" or "I am ignorant as all get out" idiotic choices.

OP: Just in case you're among the less well-informed, perhaps due to admirable laser-like attention to your craft and profession, here are some links to get you up to speed--let's call it Climate Science 101. It's pretty damning info and once known it will make your head spin that so few have a clue or just don't care. It's like watching a slow-motion train wreck occur right before our eyes:

www.climate.gov

climate.nasa.gov

Almost every climate myth covered here:

skepticalscience.com

A guide on feedback loops, set up for students/children:

And NatGeo's short site/video on same, for Grades 2-8:

Last edited:
Reactions: GalacticHero

We're dealing with incredibly consequential individual choices and when I see otherwise intelligent people making stunningly dumb choices, it makes my head spin. Like it or not, doctors are thought leaders in their community, and people watch what they do with the expectation that they're a cut above average in intelligence and wisdom. The OP failed here.

YES, he purchased a used Tesla, and Tesla did not check the lug nuts to ensure there was a key for the locking lug nut. He was quickly introduced into TCSH (Tesla Customer Service Hell). ALL VALID POINTS OF ANGST. Frankly, Tesla has grown so fast and become so inept on some very basic things that it needs an ombudsman to fix insane outcomes like this. (ELON: Get on this as you're pissing people off!)

BUT for the OP to then dump his Tesla for a GHG-dumping BMW 3-ton mild-hybrid SUV is just irrationally stupid.

Choices matter.

If the facts make some uncomfortable, perhaps that's a reminder: it's time for some first principles thinking, and a look in the mirror . . . .

There is no more neutrality in the world. You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem.
--Eldridge Cleaver

I remain gobsmacked at how many otherwise ostensibly educated and intelligent people are beyond clueless as to the planetary-scale risks posed by over a century of unchecked GHG dumping. We are playing with fire here and, last I checked, there is no "Planet B" spare planet around for an escape option. Positive feedback loops are a pretty surefire way to destroy an entire planet, yet the number of people not on the TMC forums (and far too many ON these forums) that have no friggin' clue honestly suggests we may already be doomed.

The OP is far from alone. After we loaned our family dentist our MS Performance for a few days (she loved it), we ended up dumping her after she replaced her Lexus SUV with a GHG-spewing BMW. We prefer to not financially support someone with such grossly limited bandwidth that makes such "Don't give a damn" or "I am ignorant as all get out" idiotic choices.

OP: Just in case you're among the less well-informed, perhaps due to admirable laser-like attention to your craft and profession, here are some links to get you up to speed--let's call it Climate Science 101. It's pretty damning info and once known it will make your head spin that so few have a clue or just don't care. It's like watching a slow-motion train wreck occur right before our eyes:

www.climate.gov

climate.nasa.gov

skepticalscience.com

While I admire your dedication to eliminating GHG from the planet I would never dump my dentist because of their car choice. I would suggest that her BMW spews less pollution than a gas lawnmower, snowblower, chainsaw, etc. These devices do not have the benefit of catalytic converters or any pollution control equipment. How far will you take this ? Would you deny entry to a landscaper to cut down a tree on your property because he showed up with a gas powered chainsaw ? Do you unfriend your neighbour because of his gas powered lawnmower ? Would you picket all road construction and heavy equipment operation due to these gas/diesel powered behemoths ? Will you never ride a bus or take a cab ? How about air travel ? While it’s commendable to save the planet and you can argue every bit counts, you have to be reasonable. This problem will not be solved anytime soon. I would think your energy would be better served in convincing you local/state/federal lawmakers in making all gas powered machines more expensive or undesirable. Penalizing a competent dentist seems like taking a sledgehammer to a flea.

Reactions: 4SUPER9

Choices matter.

--Eldridge Cleaver

www.climate.gov

climate.nasa.gov

skepticalscience.com

Tact and reading comprehension are not your strong points. There are 2 dissatisfied physicians here, not just one. But don't let me stop your rants where facts matter.

Here is another fact - this is the 2nd BMW X5 45e that I have bought this year. The government clearly likes what I am doing because it offering me a a total of $15k in tax credits for these 2 cars. Please don't let your head explode. Breathe deeply.

Believe me, I wanted to love that Plaid. I guess I just expected too much for $134k.

Please let me know Tesla treats its customers the way that they deserve and figures out how to hang a tailgate correctly on their millionth Model S - it's not too much to ask.

Signing off.

One last comment about doctors being regarded as “thought leaders” in their communities. While I would like to believe this I know of several medical professionals that smoke cigarettes, are very overweight and adhere to other non-healthy practices. Thought leaders indeed.

"Like it or not, doctors are thought leaders in their community, and people watch what they do with the expectation that they're a cut above average in intelligence and wisdom."

In general, "community doctors" are not "thought leaders". We leave "thoughts" to the academics who are compelled to write papers at any expense. The rest of us are working professionals, mostly intelligent, with diagnostic and therapeutic skill sets different from most others. Some are smarter than others, some more respected than others. During COVID, it became clear who among our "community doctors" was able to apply basic immunology, infectious disease standards and practices that go back 100 years vs. those who wanted to be witting or unwitting ascientific gov't policy cheerleaders. When doctors can convince and mislead lay people to label proven basic science as "misinformation", you know science under "thought leaders" is doomed.

Reactions: ICUMD