Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.../ and then there's the next gen volt, which i think will be a *very* interesting PHEV.

nextVolt.jpg

Too bad it looks like yet another ‘punishment car’ (!)

But then again, the entire Chevy line-up is starting to look like ‘punishment cars’… (More about that here.)

Tragic as it is, the only makers of 'non-punishment' BEV’s besides Tesla are VW (E-Golf), Renault (Zoe), Ford (Focus EV) and Fiat (500E)

(!)

Last edited:
A punishment car is usually referencing a small uncomfortable poorly built vehicle, I don't think the Volt fits that description. I expect the new one to be marginally better than the old, a bit more electric only range, similar styling, and maybe room for 3 in the rear seat.

A punishment car is usually referencing a small uncomfortable poorly built vehicle, I don't think the Volt fits that description. I expect the new one to be marginally better than the old, a bit more electric only range, similar styling, and maybe room for 3 in the rear seat.

Volt's not a punishment car. It has weaknesses, but it's a pleasant car to drive and ride in. We also have a Prius... (I don't mind it).

Volt 2 should improve AER, mpg, and efficiency; plus it will improve low end acceleration, and hopefully eliminate the pause and torque limiting making it a responsive car all round. Then also the "5th seat". Oh and the charger's just a little better at 3.6kW. Hoping they fix some of the stupidity in the design that leads to small annoyances.

To be fair Nissan batteries have on the whole held up well, very well unless one is in the SW. They are the only one to offer a guarantee on range loss and their published price for a battery replacement ($6200) is about 25% the cost of Tesla's battery for the Roadster on a KWh basis.
Kia also has a battery warranty and a better one as they warrant capacity to 70% or more for 10 years / 100 k miles. Much better than Nissan's 5 year / 60 k mile warranty.

Now wait, I thought they just came out with their new battery for the 2015 models that manage the heat better?.......so they have noticed their first version was not working and are improving things. All that makes me believe the new generation battery will be much more tolerable.
Yes, in all but cool climates the '11-12 battery loses capacity faster than what Nissan claimed (20% after 5 years, 30% after 8 years). The '13-14 battery appears to be doing better than the original batteries based on user reports, though Nissan has not said anything about these except that they reduced the cost, and Nissan claims the '15 battery should be the one that is heat tolerant. Whether that is true or not, time will tell.

The Volt looks much better than the Leaf, but is held back by the lack of a 5th/middle rear seat and smaller cargo and interior volume.

Kia also has a battery warranty and a better one as they warrant capacity to 70% or more for 10 years / 100 k miles. Much better than Nissan's 5 year / 60 k mile warranty.

Yeah, the relatively weak Leaf warranty doesn't mean a whole lot even if it does warrant range. I'd still rather have the larger thermal managed pack in the Tesla.

10 years / 100k miles to 70% should be the bare minimum. From other threads, I don't suggest Tesla offer a degradation warranty until they are confident they can exceed that.

Last edited:
here's a thread that shows the joys of owning a LEAF and working with Nissan as well their dealer network:
My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Nissan towed my car beyond the range and wants me to get it.
Basically, the guy took his car to a Nissan dealer, they couldn't fix it, so Nissan towed the car to another dealer. The guy is waiting weeks for the repairs, but now the car is too far out of range from his home, and he can't drive it back. Nissan said they refuse to even tow the car back to his original dealer.
We have it real good, working with Tesla and avoiding dealers entirely.

Tony Williams range chart thread at My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Range Chart has been very useful but the hosting service he used to post the attachments for the thread has shutdown the links.

For now I thought I'd upload one of the copies I have in case it helps someone looking for it.

It's the 2 bars lost version from last month before dropbox clamped down on his bandwidth limit. Use this 75% chart for a battery that has 10 of 12 capacity bar segments. View attachment LEAFrangeChartVersion7G75.pdf