Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wish new leaf will come out 150 miles range around 25k with 30 min charge...dream car I know asking it 10 years in advance

I don't think that range is away more than 3 years for Nissan-Renault given their exec statements and supply agreements with LG Chem (Renault already has signed contracts with LG Chem).

But I estimate the base price to be higher ($30-35k, not 25k), at least before subsidies.

Here's what Nissan execs said earlier this year about the Leaf 2.0 and the Infiniti EV:

New battery chemistry to debut for Nissan-Infiniti by early 2017
Infiniti luxury EV (likely based off the Infiniti LE concept) on track for 2017 debut
Next-generation Nissan LEAF expected to arrive right after Nissan’s Power 88 business plan, which ends March 31, 2017
Next-generation LEAF will feature hatchback layout, but a more mainstream design

Nissan Provides Details On Next-Generation LEAF - Luxury Infiniti EV Back On Track For 2017 Debut

Last edited:
taken from Nissan forum:

Nissan 250-Mile Battery Nearly Ready, Reveals CEO Ghosn
http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=34725

Nissan 250-Mile Battery Nearly Ready, Reveals CEO Ghosn
Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn unintentionally reveals that his company is working on a battery that could double range of the LEAF.
Published: 05-Dec-2014
Following an unintentional disclosure by CEO Carlos Ghosn, Nissan has confirmed it will “very soon take the issue of range off of the table.”
The company is otherwise still being vague, not ready to show what it has, but Ghosn suggested a near-ready battery to enable affordable electric cars good for as many 250 miles (400 km) depending on configuration, and how it’s tested.

Nice, but without something like Tesla Supercharger network, not good enough.

taken from Nissan forum:

Nice, but without something like Tesla Supercharger network, not good enough.

Fair enough but, a longer range affordable Nissan EV coupled with a decent CHAdeMO network in large urban areas is a good recipe for EV adoption.

My only concern is if it's going to be packaged as the LEAF 2.0. I hope there's a better design coming up, possibly with the Infiniti badge.

Not good enough for what? Good enough to compete with the Model S as a cross country road trip car? No. Good enough to sell a lot more Leafs? Definitely.

There are hints that Nissan is looking at transitioning to a DC charging method that's faster than the CHAdeMO that is on the current Leaf.

That depends on cost defference comapred to vehicles with access to SC network - if its 10+K cheaper it would be OK for many people, but if price is similar, it would be really stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Article said "depending on configuration, and how it’s tested", so I would expect EPA range around 200 miles. Less on highway and unless battery pack is heated much less during the winter.

When most chrgers are 1 plug its a congestion and reliability issue - so I cannot rely on them onless they are every few miles. Its 1 thing to hate to loan ICE once ot twice a year and entirely another renting ICE twice a month.

- - - Updated - - -

Nisan is not exactly going to make this available next week. 200+ miles battery will need to be built on dedicated EV platform (Leaf 2) and I doubt, that we will be able to buy that before 2016.

We also have no idea how much will it cost us - it might be great price, or it might not be competitive.

I personaly hope, that other car makes will make cars competitive to Tesla, so that I can buy my next car at reasonable price.

Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn unintentionally reveals that his company is working on a battery that could double range of the LEAF.

That would be about 170 miles, which is pretty good. If it doesn't actually look like the current LEAF I could be interested, but I don't have much hope of it being a more compelling vehicle than the Model 3.

Do we know that to be true with this future pack?

You mean the one that so far exists in Ghosn's mind only? :)

More seriously though with all the debacle Nissan have had it would be extremely surprising if they did not add some sort of temperature control system to their future packs. Also we may see them moving away from larger to smaller cells (this is only speculation on my part).

Problem is that Nissan refuses to provide a battery temperature management system.. Your 200 mile range will be 140 after 2-3 years

Historically this has only affected owners in hot climates. Those in more temperate regions have noticed much less capacity loss.

I myself am much more comfortable with an active temp management system.
However, I am not about to paint ALL Leafs and All 2nd gen Leafs with the downfall of a minority of the original cars.

Problem is that Nissan refuses to provide a battery temperature management system.. Your 200 mile range will be 140 after 2-3 years

To be fair Nissan batteries have on the whole held up well, very well unless one is in the SW. They are the only one to offer a guarantee on range loss and their published price for a battery replacement ($6200) is about 25% the cost of Tesla's battery for the Roadster on a KWh basis. And Nissan has more EV's on the road and 4x the fast DC charging stations than Tesla. Granted the Super chargers are faster and a Model S is much nicer than a Leaf but at 3x the cost it should be.

Even the folks in Washington state have significant capacity loss now. The capacity warranty requires such significant capacity loss that folks need to tolerate ranges in the 50s for months while doing everything to lose that last capacity bar before the miles add up. To each their own.. Nissan is dependent on folks that give them credit for a cheap ev despite its inherent issues.

Now wait, I thought they just came out with their new battery for the 2015 models that manage the heat better?.......so they have noticed their first version was not working and are improving things. All that makes me believe the new generation battery will be much more tolerable.

Now wait, I thought they just came out with their new battery for the 2015 models that manage the heat better?.......so they have noticed their first version was not working and are improving things. All that makes me believe the new generation battery will be much more tolerable.

They are looking for folks willing to trust Nissan and forget the past.. Will be interesting...

a theoretical 160 mile Leaf coming out late 2015 or early 2016 is highly valuable for a LOT of people. Trouble is....in just a few years, the m3 is gonna come out, and will cost less than a 10 000$ more.

and then there's the next gen volt, which i think will be a *very* interesting PHEV.