Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No audio bug in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It happened to me today. 100 miles in complete silence as nothing, not even the microphone would work. This happened a couple of times in the past and a simple reboot took care of it. But not today as even after 4 reboots we were still quiet. I finally get home and in a few minutes go back to the car and all works. Aggravating.

I did not realize power off was under safety and security. I really wish there was a search on the owner's manual.

Rebooting (pressing down both buttons on the wheel) never worked for me.... Power Off worked 100% of times now.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Encountered the no audio bug again today. Probably the third time I’ve had this. As with the previous two times I was able to fix it by just exiting the car and closing the door and opening the door again just a second later. This has fixed it for me every single time and is much faster than a full power off.

The car has recently started forgetting my Favorites in the audio section. Always something new weird. I just roll with it most of the time.

I’ve recently noticed this radio favorite issue as well in 2018.46.2. The last 2 versions I’ve had have been surprisingly buggy. Hopefully 2018.48.x is more solid.

Reactions: whatthe2 and Dan_LA
Anyone tried the two button press combined with brake press to reset the audio? Maybe we can find a use for it...

Does not work. Also I haven’t found any evidence that doing the two button reset while holding down the brake pedal is any different than not holding down the pedal. The only two fixed for this are either a complete power off or just exit the car for a second and re-enter.

Reactions: Dan_LA
I reported this to tesla and they came to replace the amp and update the software on Wednesday. 3 days later, it’s happening again. Never thought it was hardware related but Tesla said it was. Got car in July but this never happened until November after an update. Will they ever fix this?

nearly 3k miles in and never experienced the problem while on v42.2. was updated to 42.2.1 over the weekend and had the issue on the 2nd start. had it frequently since then so i went into the service center. i was upgraded to 48.12.1 yesterday. issue remains on this version.

Encountered the no audio bug again today. Probably the third time I’ve had this. As with the previous two times I was able to fix it by just exiting the car and closing the door and opening the door again just a second later. This has fixed it for me every single time and is much faster than a full power off.

I encountered my first "no audio" bug today and it came back as soon as I opened the door, closed the door and opened it again.

Reactions: PoitNarf
At the moment there’s a very small sample size, but of those that have received the 2018.48.1 update I’ve seen a few comments that the bug appears to be fixed in that version.

Can’t say this is the case. I got 48.1 two days ago and the no audio bug happened to me for the FIRST time yesterday.

Scroll button reboot did nothing, but something interestingly dangerous did. It seemed like the ui was lagging badly. I was pulling into my garage after waiting for homelink to automatically open the garage door. Nothing happened so I pushed the homelink button again. Nothing happened. So I got out of the car to manually open the garage door and before I got to the keypad, the garage door began to open. I thought “great, there’s a delay but at least homelink worked”. I get back in the car to pull the car into the garage and boom! It starts to close on the car. Luckily I triggered the sensor and the garage door reopened. I realized that the lag in the ui was finally catching up to the time I pushed the homelink button.

So the moral of the story is that went the ui is lagging, the buttons you push might eventually work so be careful.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
After going a couple weeks without it happening, it's gotten me twice in the past 2 days on my first drive of the day.

I had sent an earlier email to Tesla customer support about this, and they replied requesting that I call them next time it happened, so I called them when it happened yesterday. But they couldn't do any diagnostic stuff over the phone, so they asked that I schedule an appointment with a mobile repair tech so they could come out and pull my vehicle logs. So I'm supposed to get a call to schedule that appointment shortly.

Sure would be nice if they could just pull the relevant logs remotely / over the air. (Maybe there would be security issues with that? Or the data files are too large? :confused:)

Anyway... I guess I'll report back if I learn anything further.

Update: After providing the local mobile service coordinator guy with a few specific times/days when this had happened in my car so that they could analyze the vehicle logs, he then talked with a Tesla engineer about the issue who said that it was a known issue and would be addressed with an upcoming software fix. So encouraging news.

Hopefully this fix rolls out soon, as it's been happening to me with daily frequency lately.

This happened to me for the first time on Sunday. Already 9k miles on my car, approx 9 months old. I'm on 2018.48.12.

Trying to switch my audio source to USB just made the screen sit on the spinning circle icon for longer than I cared to wait.

This bug is super aggravating. For me, like @TEG it always happens when the screen doesn't respond immediately after getting into the car and does a full boot.

Someone else mentioned that driving off with the screen still booting seemed to trigger the no-audio portion of the bug more often, but I couldn't say for sure, will pay more attention.

What's aggravating is that it doesn't seem to affect all cars - why?

Power off while parked for 5 seconds always fixes the issue for me. It is strange that it seems to occur in waves, it'll happen a lot over a couple days, or it might not happen at all for a while.

Reactions: jsmay311