Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AWD for Model 3 until next year confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There will not be a single, unified, queue. Tesla has made that clear. But they've also said that your order in line will be based on when you reserved. Your location makes a difference, and what options you select makes a difference. But within your region and your configuration choice, earlier reserved means earlier delivered. Someone who ordered the same configuration, in the same region, earlier, will get their car earlier.

Nissan's handling of the first batch of orders of the Leaf was a total fustercluck. (That's how I ended up with my Roadster instead of a Leaf.) I don't think Tesla will make the same kind of mistake.

I know what they have said and implied - and my concern remains based on Model S and Model X launches.

I just can't see the reservation queue having much effect beyond some very broad batching implications.

Based on the title of this thread I don't know what to think.
Sure, it's quite possible first deliveries of the AWD will slip into January or later and end up being "next year" as stated in the thread title, but at least we know the goal is to hit the low-end of the 6-9 month range. This would be in the same timeframe as the original year-end first delivery date for any Model 3 announced at Reveal 1.

Elon has certainly had many goals when it comes to schedules... :) I got to admire the optimism some attach to his scheduling announcements.

But sure, I can see delivering a handful to meet a target but then I can also see an additional three months when nothing happens.

Just pulling this out of my you-know-where, but I don't believe they'll deliver a handful to meet an arbitrary timeline, and then wait for three months. Note, however, that the questioner asked about AWD, which Musk said 6 to 9 months in the earlier tweet, and not about Performance, which Musk said one year. So if you just want AWD, there's a chance for the end of this year, which was always the case with the 6-to-9-month time frame. But if you want P-AWD, probably not.

Not sure where the discrepancy is... 6-9 months is, depending on interpretation, next year. The thread title says 'next year'. Elon just said first day people have a 'pretty good' chance of getting an AWD version 'by 12/31'. That's as close to 'next year' as you can come. I think we have to assume that promise/estimate is for west coast people, since east coast weren't going to see any cars, most likely in 2017.

upload_2017-4-2_9-39-22.png

It all may be a bit of a sliding scale based on blowback from the screaming from 'what do you mean, no AWD?!'... who knows?

Reactions: cdub
As I posted in the standalone thread, it was mentioned in the Elon Tweets thread: when he posted that it was still April 1st in California. Is he back home? Dang time zones! This didn't have the insane quality of the Alien Language tweets of earlier, though.... I think it's real.

As a central US early line-waiting reservationist, I was originally hoping for AWD in the January to March timeframe. When Elon originally posted his 6-9 months post about AWD, I was worried that would push my AWD opportunity past March whereas I could get a RWD as early as November. A 4 to 5 month difference in wait time made AWD a much tougher sell, but only a month or two is much more reasonable!

Reactions: Falkirk
Lots of people seem to think that "6 to 9 months" means ten or eleven months from when the tweet was posted. Granted, that Elon tends to be a bit of a chrono-optimist. But "6 to 9 months" from March (I don't know when the "6 to 9 months" statement was made) would be as early as September or as late as December.

Kind of moot for me, because I'm waiting for P-AWD, which I gather he said one year, so that's spring of 2018.

But now I'm not sure where "6 to 9 months" came from because at the beginning of this thread, in post number 5, Az_Rael posted a link to a screen shot of a Twitter stream where Elon says dual motor "not until next year."

I need to stop reading this thread and wait for an email from Tesla. (I probably won't, but I should.)

I need to stop reading this thread and wait for an email from Tesla. (I probably won't, but I should.)
:D

But now I'm not sure where "6 to 9 months" came from because at the beginning of this thread, in post number 5, Az_Rael posted a link to a screen shot of a Twitter stream where Elon says dual motor "not until next year."
Looking back, maybe it is 6 to 9 months from 24 March for dual motor and next year for performance.

upload_2017-4-2_13-19-9.png

upload_2017-4-2_13-21-19.png

I do most my own work ONLY because I fear incompetence. After I had a vehicle damaged from being lifted incorrectly (a Ford Van? OMG! The world's easiest vehicle to lift. It has a FRAME!!! They lifted it by the body sheet metal)...
a dealership put my Solstice on a flat lift and did the same thing. When I came in for the next (included in service package at time of purchase) oil change and had a printout showing the correct lift points and said last time I caused damage the response I got was something like "OK, I'll let the tech know" no response to the damage - then they claimed the reason it took 3x as long to get it back to me was because they had to figure out how to use a jack. After that I didn't use any more of the pre-paid oil changes.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
:D

Looking back, maybe it is 6 to 9 months from 24 March for dual motor and next year for performance.

View attachment 220933

View attachment 220934
Yes, it appears some people (myself included) may have interpreted the 3/24 announcements as pushing out the AWD and/or performance models first deliveries past July 2017 (when initial Model 3 deliveries begin) by the specified amount of time:
  • "First in line for dual motors as soon as we can make it, which is probably in 6 to 9 months" assumed to mean January to April 2017 (6-9 months after initial Model 3 deliveries), which is "next year", rather than September to December 2017 (6-9 months from when the comment was made). The latter ties in with the latest tweet that there's a "pretty good" chance first-dayers could get their AWDs by 12/31.
  • "Yes, but not until next year" for the performance model assumed to mean starting no earlier than July 2018 (one year after initial Model 3 deliveries) rather than some unspecified date starting at the earliest January 1, 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: SureValla
I think that reading this thread to figure out when we're going to get our cars is like learning ballistic trajectories from watching the coyote on those old road runner cartoons. You know, where the coyote runs off the edge of a cliff, goes straight out for 50 feet or so, then stops, and then falls straight down.

It's fun, in a perverse sort of way, but has no relation to reality. Some day they're going to open the design studio. We'll order our cars. And some day they'll arrive. I'm confident they'll be worth the wait.

It is all a big quarterly game for Tesla, this whole business. For such a longterm-minded business in theory, they sure are very short-sighted in practice. :)

I have never felt the quarterly pressures affecting me as a customer of any other car company, but with Tesla it is certainly felt even at the end-customer level.
That is because no other car company is so dependent on having easy access to debt and equity markets than Tesla. Wall Street and Banks care about quarterly results and so then does Tesla. Until they are actually profitable they will have to live this way.

That is because no other car company is so dependent on having easy access to debt and equity markets than Tesla. Wall Street and Banks care about quarterly results and so then does Tesla. Until they are actually profitable they will have to live this way.

Yeah, I am not really blaming them for it - more like stressing to myself and others to be aware of this. Tesla does play quarterly games that are not always on our own interest...