Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No dash screen -- only 15" touchscreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it says a lot about Tesla's thinking, that they could easily have dummied a driver's dash but didn't. The RWD Model S was dropped. Traction control "off" was dropped. Then, AutoPilot. This follows.

I like AutoPilot, but will not be with Tesla much longer if they insist that is all I want.

999999-55670508615.jpg

Frankly this is (so far what has been presented) the biggest (and only) downside I've seen regarding the model 3. I personally have not driven cars where the speedometers are in the middle but can easily imagine that this quote is spot on:

I've driven a Mini for years with the center speedometer. It's downright annoying. You're taking useful information that you want to see often and moving it out of your line of sight and putting it "way over there". It sucks.

The LHD/RHD excuse worked in the old days when you had lots of mechanical linkages to the gauges. Now it's just a single CAN bus. Totally trivial to move an LCD around.

But as many have stated, it's still a prototype and we might/will see some changes. And overall, I think it looks really nice.

Not too worried. My 350Z has an analog speedometer behind the steering wheel and a digital speedometer as one of the gauges above the center console. I always looks at the digital one, even though it requires looking slightly to the right. I am hoping for a HUD, though, since Autopilot and nav displays on it would be really cool.

• Informative
Reactions: Sudre
I think it says a lot about Tesla's thinking, that they could easily have dummied a driver's dash but didn't. The RWD Model S was dropped. Traction control "off" was dropped. Then, AutoPilot. This follows.

I like AutoPilot, but will not be with Tesla much longer if they insist that is all I want.

On the contrary, my teenage daughter keeps on saying that she wants a car that she doesn't have to drive. So if you leave Tesla, she'll fill in :)

• Informative
Reactions: Sudre
Here is the video talking about there being only one screen and the fact that it's floating to allow for better air flow:

I personally also think it looks stuck on, but then again Mercedes is proud of they glued-on ipad design and some people like it. Interestingly I'd be more worried about software updates - think how often Model S got a cluster update vs. IVI update. They are tested to different standards (I've had the large screen reboot, partially stop working or crawl along at glacial speeds until reboot - not something acceptable in an instrument cluster).

I hope they will add a dash screen or HUD.
Because I think my neck will be in pain otherwise.

I already get shoulder and neck pain from constantly gazing on my right screen on my dual monitor setup. (I sit sligthly to the left and not in the center so it's my own fault really)

Last edited:
i'd almost guarantee it will have a cool hud. Remember they said we're only getting half at this part 1 reveal. We'll see lots more cool stuff at part 2.

I sure hope so. Because, as I was driving in this AM, I was looking down and thinking about how annoying it would be to look off to the side for my speed & basic alerts. I would absolutely hate it. Plus, I sortof like that not everybody in the car (cough! back seat drivers!) knows how fast I'm going.

I'm likely to stick with the Model S, but eliminating the driver's "instrument cluster" would be an absolute deal breaker for me. AP is cool, but I still like to drive!

Reactions: Sudre and jkk_
How would the autopilot software work with the single screen? I guess you just wouldn't get the visual of what the car can see. Honestly, I don't mind the single screen, just curious. Overall, I really like the car. Got my reservation:)

IMO it's cool and very forward thinking!

1. Has to help with the car's cost (as Elon has been saying about less displays for a LONG time, not sure why everyone is so surprised)
2. As Autopilot usage increases, driver gauges will be less necessary.
3. There are other features (adaptive cruise control, speed limit audio chimes) people could use for speed rather than taking their eyes off the road (even through a HUD or to steering wheel cluster) when they are actively driving.
4. Minimalist design / less distraction

As autonomy improves steering wheel clusters are going to seem more and more antiquated; this will be looked back at the first vehicle to recognize that. The steering wheel will be for when you have to be driving actively in tricky intersections and emergencies looking at the road/surroundings (not instrument cluster details). The center console will be for when it is driving autonomously (vast majority of the time).

Years ago I started using a Garmin GPS. It is mounted in my car, just a little higher than where that screen is in the Model 3. I've grown very accustomed to viewing my speed via the much easier to read and more accurate GPS screen and barely ever use the actual instruments anymore. It actually takes longer for me to use the instruments in my car, because I have to scan for the speedometer needle, then check the gauge and then estimate if I'm at 44 or 46. For those that say they "need" instruments directly in front because it's faster to look at, your eye movements are equally fast in a glance down and straight as opposed to down and right. You are just conditioned to do the former.

I think that the screen + HUD would be ideal, as that would take away the "looking down" part entirely for basics like speed and GPS directions.

It actually takes longer for me to use the instruments in my car, because I have to scan for the speedometer needle, then check the gauge and then estimate if I'm at 44 or 46.
I also prefer digital over needle, but with a LED display nothing stops you from offering different styles.

Edit: God I hate this new Forum auto convert links... see 21:10