Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No free Supercharger for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla needs to bill owner's for Supercharger use!! Owner's having to pay for credits take money out of the owner and puts it into the hands of Tesla. You could buy 1,000 kWh of credit and not use it for months or over a year. All that time, Tesla is using the owner's money to do as they wish. We should be billed on SC purchases as soon as our car's connect.
Too much friction. Tesla would have to deal with expired credit cards, etc. We don't know yet what the unit of purchase will be, but I doubt it will be in 1000kWh increments as that's about 2500 miles. It seems more likely the increments will be closer to what is given free each year which is 400kWh.

Not to hijack my thread, but what's with the fake grill on the Jag? People who want an EV also want a grill? The proposed specifications for acceleration and range are just a pipe dream at this time. And the cost? probably more than an S that has better specs.

I wonder if Tesla will open up its Supercharger system to competing brands. The Supercharger infrastructure gives Tesla a YUGE marketing advantage.

But to get back on topic, the email I received was probably a marketing promotion based on my geographic location, California. But again, the email poses more questions than answers for Model 3 reservation holders.
It might have a radiator to cool the batteries.

Tesla needs to bill owner's for Supercharger use!! Owner's having to pay for credits take money out of the owner and puts it into the hands of Tesla. You could buy 1,000 kWh of credit and not use it for months or over a year. All that time, Tesla is using the owner's money to do as they wish. We should be billed on SC purchases as soon as our car's connect.
In Illinois 400KWH would be billed at $.14 which would be $56.

I posted in a thread that I created that ...... If Tesla can get all of this credit stuff lined up by Christmas....I'm going to buy some "Tesla Credit" (gift) cards for some folks.

That would require them to completely change the way the super chargers work. Right now, when you connect, your car says "Yep, I'm allowed, fill me up". The SC just does what the car says. With prepaid units it can work the same way, you buy the units, your car gets notified that it is allowed to charge, then it tells the SC it's ok. Under your scenario the SC would need to have to be able to make the purchase or to communicate in a different way with the car.

Reactions: Red Sage
That would require them to completely change the way the super chargers work. Right now, when you connect, your car says "Yep, I'm allowed, fill me up". The SC just does what the car says. With prepaid units it can work the same way, you buy the units, your car gets notified that it is allowed to charge, then it tells the SC it's ok. Under your scenario the SC would need to have to be able to make the purchase or to communicate in a different way with the car.

No it wouldn't. Let's say for example that you have no credits in your account, you go to a supercharger, the supercharger needs to get an increase in your credits, so either you need to authorize a charge on your card, or need to have authorized them to charge whenever. Either way, that doesn't look any different than if the payment is single use only. [it might look different to regulatory bodies.]

Thank you kindly.

No it wouldn't. Let's say for example that you have no credits in your account, you go to a supercharger, the supercharger needs to get an increase in your credits, so either you need to authorize a charge on your card, or need to have authorized them to charge whenever. Either way, that doesn't look any different than if the payment is single use only. [it might look different to regulatory bodies.]

Thank you kindly.

You're right, but what I'm saying is that, right now, the SC doesn't do anything like that. It just provides electricity when the car says it's allowed to receive it. Having it work the way that PRSIST said where you don't prepay, would mean that the SC has to function differently than it currently does if he wants it to charge you when you connect and for only the amount that you actually take.

I think he's getting too worked up about it though, without knowing what size "blocks" will be available it's entirely possible that he'll be able to purchase exactly what he needs through his car or the app as soon as he pulls up to the SC. It's too soon to be demanding a change to the business model when no one knows what that model is.

Reactions: Red Sage
would mean that the SC has to function differently than it currently does if he wants it to charge you when you connect and for only the amount that you actually take

Not really. They could simply have the car do the handshake with Tesla command, rather than the Superchrager. I assume that the Supercharger communicates with command now, but it doesn't need to, it can all happen through the car if Tesla wants (and trusts it).

Tesla knows now how much charging is happening, presumably at the individual car level. Billing a credit card AFTER the transaction is no harder than BEFORE.

There may be legal reasons for doing it in lump amounts, I don't see any technical reasons, even with the existing infrastructure.

Thank you kindly.

It's just an available parking lot. The article talks about the locations connecting the Midwest.
Its not just that simple. Grocery store SuperChargers are not connecting anything. They are put there to get people to use them. My point is....if you read the article......that these SuperChargers have nothing to do with long distance travel. These grocery stores are a long way from the expressway.

Its not just that simple. Grocery store SuperChargers are not connecting anything. They are put there to get people to use them. My point is....if you read the article......that these SuperChargers have nothing to do with long distance travel. These grocery stores are a long way from the expressway.

My goodness. I think you managed to be wrong on every single statement you made in that post.
  1. The locations mentioned in the article are literally all near highways. Looks like most are within 1/2 mile, and at most ~2 miles.
  2. The article makes repeated, explicit mention of Superchargers being installed specifically to enable long-distance travel across the Midwest. “We’re happy to be working with Hy-Vee to kind of connect the Midwest, from Chicago to Denver,”
  3. The only mention in the article about actually shopping inside the Hy-Vee's is a quote from a Hy-Vee rep, and of course they are going to focus on the benefit to their business and not simply talk about enabling long-distance travel for out-of-towners. (Although I'm sure some travelers will stop in for a bag of chips or a soda or whatever.) The other benefit to Hy-Vee -- association with a popular, up-scale brand -- is also explicitly mentioned in the article: "Merchants recognize that Tesla has rapidly created a highly desirable brand. In short, Tesla drivers are good for business."
FFS, you really think they're going to install 8 Supercharger stalls in Peru, IL (pop. 10,107) one mile south of I-80 just to attract all of the local Peru resident Tesla owners to buy their weekly groceries at a Hy-Vee grocery store??? (Sarcasm alert! I'm layin it on pretty thick here!) :p

I mean..... how many long distance travelers go grocery shopping?

Tesla partners with grocery chain on Midwest Supercharger expansion

I do all the time but I'm probably unusual. The Superchargers I regularly visit are in hotel parking lots and since I am passing through I don't need to stay at the hotel, as are the vast majority of SC users. I'd much prefer going into a grocery store and picking up from fresh food to eat, as well as just checking things out in the store.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Reactions: Garlan Garner

Collecting an up front fee is no different than EZ-Pass, Chargepoint, or even cellular plans like Tracfone. When I go on a cruise I pay 90 days prior to the sailing. Sure it would be nicer to post-pay, especially if on a credit card that gives you another 25 days of float based on billing cycles, but it isn't exactly surprising.

Plus, like BluestarE3 pointed out, legally they might not be able to sell us electricity, but they can sell us credits.

Not really. They could simply have the car do the handshake with Tesla command, rather than the Superchrager. I assume that the Supercharger communicates with command now, but it doesn't need to, it can all happen through the car if Tesla wants (and trusts it).

Thank you kindly.
I agree with what you said, that would keep things working the same way they do now. I was only commenting that what the OP initially said was not the way it works now. Let's just agree to agree :D

Reactions: Topher