Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Frunk Bag Hooks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It costs more when someone buys another product rather than the Tesla Model 3 . . . .

Ok- but I can't imagine finding someone who was going to buy one and decided not to based on lack of frunk hooks.

It's not like the market is flooded with alternative 300+ mile range EVs that DO come with frunk hooks, right?

It c
And it just plain looks bad when owners show off their new $45k to $60k Model 3. Then we lose another sale perhaps?

At this price point there are certain expectations. Having a trim that looks like what one would find in a Nissan Versa, the cheapest car sold in the US, is unacceptable.

Why is this so hard for some to understand?

because Tesla continues to have more orders than they have capacity to build cars.

Until that stops being true, even if there WERE people who would refuse to buy due to removing the frunk hooks, there's 2 more guys behind him who'll happily take the car he didn't order, and Tesla has no financial incentive to care.

This is hardly the only area this is true (see the inability to reach anybody at a service center on the telephone as another thing that'd be a non-starter for a company who didn't have more demand than supply)

Reactions: dandrewk
Maybe the molder had a tooling issue that would take it out of commission for a few weeks for repairs and Tesla didn't have enough safety stock available to continue putting hooks on cars. There could be many different scenarios for this change.

Back in '11 after the Earthquake in Japan, we had automakers stopping production due to lack of items like speedometer needles and mica flakes for pearl coat paints. With the demand Tesla is seeing, they can't afford to stop selling cars because a supplier has a production issue.

Reactions: rtshefe
Maybe the molder had a tooling issue that would take it out of commission for a few weeks for repairs and Tesla didn't have enough safety stock available to continue putting hooks on cars. There could be many different scenarios for this change.

Back in '11 after the Earthquake in Japan, we had automakers stopping production due to lack of items like speedometer needles and mica flakes for pearl coat paints. With the demand Tesla is seeing, they can't afford to stop selling cars because a supplier has a production issue.

Yes, that's why smart companies dual source many of their parts . . . one would think that frunk hooks wouldn't be that hard to dual source, eh?

Let's call it for what it is: Tesla is being cheap because they can get away with it. Sadly, as others have posted, it makes one wonder where else they're de-contented the car where it's not easily seen, but will turn up years later.

The various paint threads come to mind, to include the class action in one of the Nordic countries. All of these little "nicks" on the brand leave a huge opening for the likes of VW and other brands to wipe the floor with pissed off Tesla customers, such as those that can't reach a friggin' human anywhere at Tesla to discuss an issue.

Really upsetting and unbecoming of a brand that used to surprise and delight on a regular basis, no?

Reactions: camalaio
I could 3D print a set tonight if someone wanted them.

Just curious if you really looked at these pieces before commenting. I took mine out just to see what would be involved in making a quick 3D model and there appears to be enough detail in here that it would be several hours of work to duplicate the two pieces that make up the hook and mount. Not impossible but would be a labor of love.

Yes, that's why smart companies dual source many of their parts

That is far from true. I work in the Auto industry, and very few parts are dual sourced due to potential quality concerns and traceability issues - even more so at the OEM level. At least with the Japanese automakers that I have worked with for over 15 years now.

ne would think that frunk hooks wouldn't be that hard to dual source, eh?

Dual sourcing requires two different molds to be produced. A mold for those hooks that have texturing (Class A surface requirement) and tuning requirements for fit/form/function could easily range from $250-300k each, potentially higher depending on # of cavities and build location. Making spare tools for a non-critical part like a hook seems unlikely.

Just curious if you really looked at these pieces before commenting. I took mine out just to see what would be involved in making a quick 3D model and there appears to be enough detail in here that it would be several hours of work to duplicate the two pieces that make up the hook and mount. Not impossible but would be a labor of love.
I do this kind of stuff for a living so it's not that hard for me. Here are some of the last parts that I modeled for my old Cadillac:

IMG_5139.JPG

IMG_6033.JPG

Things like this make people think class action lawsuits
Not sure a company can NOT notify consumers of changes (especially those that lessen the features) who have financed a vehicle prior to those changes.
Hooks? Pocket light? What else is missing?
Sounds like an old bait and switch. Some people were pretty happy with those frunk hooks and could have them buy the car.
Seems like Tesla thinks they can do whatever they want.

You do not have to buy the car and you always have the option to return it.

Look at the upgrades they have done that no one expected. YouTube, performance upgrades, Hulu, Sentry Mode, Video Games and a bunch of other things that they did not promise.

I guess the ironic for me part is that I have the bag hooks and ambient lights in mine and don't use either. I like it dark in the car at night and never use my front because I don't want hand prints from closing it.

I mean I guess it sucks that they are removing some stuff but I like what they add far better than what they remove. You would think Netflix in a car is dumb but when you get somewhere early or need to leave your kids in the car while you pull the trash cans from the street its pretty rad. I cant imagine them actually losing a sale over this (hooks, ambient) either so its unlikely to change and really just supports the theory that if you want a Model 3 buy it now before it changes. I got fairly lucky and got a P right before the price hikes and right before the white noise machine. I did miss out on EAP though which is a bummer.

I do this kind of stuff for a living so it's not that hard for me. Here are some of the last parts that I modeled for my old Cadillac:

IMG_5139.JPG

IMG_6033.JPG
Very nice. It's a special skill to be able to take an original design and know what's critical to making it function. Intent doesn't always come across in forum text, and I wasn't at all questioning your ability.

The hooks lack symmetry, have odd angles and even the front face is scalloped. There's enough to make it a challenge, but I'm sure not all is necessary. It's a hobby for me, so I'd spend a lot more time making a functional part. It does look like there will be some demand for a hook or cover from the looks of things. Can't wait to see what they decontent next!

Ok- but I can't imagine finding someone who was going to buy one and decided not to based on lack of frunk hooks.

It's not like the market is flooded with alternative 300+ mile range EVs that DO come with frunk hooks, right?

No, but the market sure does have a lot of gas or hybrid vehicles. Not everyone's reason for buying a Tesla is a 300 mile EV (trivially, consider those who get the SR+, which a widening selection of EVs have similar range).

Just because there aren't many 300 mile EV options doesn't mean it looks good to continually strip out hardware.

because Tesla continues to have more orders than they have capacity to build cars.

Until that stops being true, even if there WERE people who would refuse to buy due to removing the frunk hooks, there's 2 more guys behind him who'll happily take the car he didn't order, and Tesla has no financial incentive to care.

This is hardly the only area this is true (see the inability to reach anybody at a service center on the telephone as another thing that'd be a non-starter for a company who didn't have more demand than supply)

Which is exactly why this is upsetting. It shows Tesla doesn't care about their product nor its presentation. Someone will take it so it's fine. It makes business sense, but since when does everyone like Elon because he's a traditional capitalist? Even in other car manufacturers that have no vision other than money, this blasé approach to both product and customers is frowned upon.

And the service situation is exactly why I tell most people on my area (5h from the nearest centre) to avoid Tesla right now. Sure they have people buying up cars right this second, but when they anger their hyped up customer base, they are putting themselves in a worse future position.

EMS needs to access and remove the frunk to disconnect Model 3 power, critical in many emergency situations. It could very well be changes to the frunk have everything to do with requests from first responders and nothing to do with being “cheap”.

Not quite true. They already have the access they need via the top panel which just pops off.

I guess the ironic for me part is that I have the bag hooks and ambient lights in mine and don't use either. I like it dark in the car at night and never use my front because I don't want hand prints from closing it.

I mean I guess it sucks that they are removing some stuff but I like what they add far better than what they remove. You would think Netflix in a car is dumb but when you get somewhere early or need to leave your kids in the car while you pull the trash cans from the street its pretty rad. I cant imagine them actually losing a sale over this (hooks, ambient) either so its unlikely to change and really just supports the theory that if you want a Model 3 buy it now before it changes. I got fairly lucky and got a P right before the price hikes and right before the white noise machine. I did miss out on EAP though which is a bummer.

Netflix won't help even in your case once they remove the ability to stream it over cellular :S

EMS needs to access and remove the frunk to disconnect Model 3 power, critical in many emergency situations. It could very well be changes to the frunk have everything to do with requests from first responders and nothing to do with being “cheap”.

Huh? Is marijuana legal in your state?

What could the frunk mat and hooks possibly have to do with EMS?!?

• Funny
Reactions: George75
That is far from true. I work in the Auto industry, and very few parts are dual sourced due to potential quality concerns and traceability issues - even more so at the OEM level. At least with the Japanese automakers that I have worked with for over 15 years now.

Dual sourcing requires two different molds to be produced. A mold for those hooks that have texturing (Class A surface requirement) and tuning requirements for fit/form/function could easily range from $250-300k each, potentially higher depending on # of cavities and build location. Making spare tools for a non-critical part like a hook seems unlikely.

Noted, so no "dual sourcing."

But ALL of those costs are sunk costs and no longer relevant as the first 400k+ Model 3's had frunk hooks installed. To stop installing them now is beyond petty, for something that was actually a "surprise and delight" item.

Elon's a smart guy, and a "nanomanager" so I'm boggled that he would just let this item, and the frunk mat, get removed without his approval--and by all measures it's coming across as a daft move on Tesla's part.

Very nice. It's a special skill to be able to take an original design and know what's critical to making it function. Intent doesn't always come across in forum text, and I wasn't at all questioning your ability.

The hooks lack symmetry, have odd angles and even the front face is scalloped. There's enough to make it a challenge, but I'm sure not all is necessary. It's a hobby for me, so I'd spend a lot more time making a functional part. It does look like there will be some demand for a hook or cover from the looks of things. Can't wait to see what they decontent next!
The beauty of making a copy of the original is that it can then be modified to make it even better.

No, but the market sure does have a lot of gas or hybrid vehicles. Not everyone's reason for buying a Tesla is a 300 mile EV (trivially, consider those who get the SR+, which a widening selection of EVs have similar range).

Just because there aren't many 300 mile EV options doesn't mean it looks good to continually strip out hardware.

None of the other cars you mention sell in anywhere near the #s the Model 3 does though.

Like by a factor of 7-10 times less sales compared to the 3 for even the BEST selling Hybrids.

Which is exactly why this is upsetting. It shows Tesla doesn't care about their product nor its presentation. Someone will take it so it's fine. It makes business sense, but since when does everyone like Elon because he's a traditional capitalist? Even in other car manufacturers that have no vision other than money, this blasé approach to both product and customers is frowned upon.

At some point Tesla needs to turn a profit or die.

Chevy can lose money on every bolt they sell because they make a ton on every ICE truck they sell in vastly higher #s.

Tesla has no backup profit source to be able to keep taking a loss on their EV business though.

And the service situation is exactly why I tell most people on my area (5h from the nearest centre) to avoid Tesla right now.

I do the same. For folks in a reasonable drive of an SC? Sure. But otherwise I suggest they wait.

Hasn't hurt sales yet- and they are actively working on improving service (albeit slowly) so it's a race to see if they fix this stuff before demand slacks... (though honestly I'm not sure when that happens as long as everyone else keeps making EVs that aren't cheaper or better outside of maybe for around-town econoboxes).

Netflix won't help even in your case once they remove the ability to stream it over cellular :S

It will in the second example he gave since he's at home in range of his wifi presumably.

Anyway all that said- I never used the hooks in over a year of ownership (I think I've only opened the frunk maybe 3 times total?)

So if it saves Tesla $2 for every car, and they sell em for a couple bucks to the fraction of owners who actually want them as an accessory... meh.

Homelink basically turned out that way and that was a much more expensive part.

Last edited:

I agree as long as Tesla provides a way to add them separately (Store Purchase). Seems simple enough to install (bolt on). Starting to see a trend with expanding store accessories. One positive is that the PWS (white noise maker) is very subtle - not sure if there was a recent adjustment with the volume - I’m fine with it.

• Disagree
Reactions: George75
Huh? Is marijuana legal in your state?

What could the frunk mat and hooks possibly have to do with EMS?!?

Yes marijuana is legal here. But you knew that by looking at my location. Condescend much?

BTW, I was an EMT first responder on an ambulance, responding to freeway accidents. Seconds count, especially with a car with an explosive battery.

Ever wonder why the frunk can be opened without a key?

Tesla front trunks can open without a key but it's an important safety feature - not a 'flaw' - Electrek

Reactions: Rmojo