Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No hatch-back on model 3 - Anyone else disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's just as often a sedan or coupe.
10 cheapest cars: Why (almost) nobody buys them
Only half are hatchbacks.
Interesting article. I found this both interesting and true in my experience:

Dealers almost never stock the lowest-price model. They say nobody buys the bottom version, and shoppers say that's because they aren't available.

And I have to wonder how much of that goes on with hatchbacks in general. Are they as available as sedans (when the same exists for one model of car?) are they pushed as much by the salespeople? Do hatch buyers have to order and wait? I don't know. And just what IS the deal with the huge difference between US and Euro buyers?

And I have to wonder how much of that goes on with hatchbacks in general. Are they as available as sedans (when the same exists for one model of car?) are they pushed as much by the salespeople? Do hatch buyers have to order and wait? I don't know. And just what IS the deal with the huge difference between US and Euro buyers?

The preference for sedan is real. But in some cases, it became a vicious cycle where the less in demand models are harder to get.
For example, the previous generation BMW 5 series wagon sold so poorly in US that they have stopped selling it all together for the current generation. So you simply cannot buy one even if you want to.

On the other hand, cars like VW Golf is readily available, but it is still outsold by Jetta by a large margin despite Jetta being on the aging older platform and worse than Golf in almost every aspect.

A hatch would've been nice, but I'm ok with the current design. I have a Range Rover sport, so I'm going to be sacrificing a LOT in the way of trunk space...

Same here. But our other car is a minivan.

My wife is starting a job with a long commute (much longer than mine). She might claim Model 3 for a littany of very good reasons: cheaper fuel, autopilot, safety features, etc...

So, I might be stuck with the gas guzzling minivan until we see the Model Y. The Model Y needs to be at least as useful as a Mazda5 in order to get us the rest of the way off of gasoline. But, a hatchless Model 3 does solve a number of very real problem for us, and might even save us a lot of money if it proves to be reliable on a 30k-mile/year duty cycle.

Alas, I didn't sign up for two Model 3s. But, honestly, we only need one car with the capabilities of the Model 3, and the second car really needs to be a 3-row people mover (like a Mazda5 or a Toyota Sienna).

I currently own an A3 hatch. It is so versatile, with over 43 cubic feet of space with the seats down, its hard to envision driving a sedan ever again. It is truly amazing what can fit in a hatchback. When you compare the opening size with the new model 3 opening size, well its night and day.

2853.jpg

I currently own an A3 hatch. It is so versatile, with over 43 cubic feet of space with the seats down, its hard to envision driving a sedan ever again. It is truly amazing what can fit in a hatchback. When you compare the opening size with the new model 3 opening size, well its night and day.

Yeah! I loved my A3. Had to wait months in 2006 on an order to get it with the 3.2L Quattro minus the sunroof – I was bumping my head otherwise (as I do in a Model S with sunroof). I sold it in 2011 to go electric with the LEAF. No trouble with headroom, legroom or cargo room there, doesn't look as nice though. Been in a half-a-Tesla RAV4 EV since late 2013 waiting for a smaller, sportier, AWD electric car. Obviously I have a reservation for the Model 3 now. I would be very tempted if Audi finally did an all electric, all wheel drive A3 "sportback", particularly if they came to their senses and bought into Tesla's Supercharger network.

2853.jpg

And once you experience a 15 seater van, where you can literally put beds and cabinets into it while still seating your entire family, you'll never go back to a hatchback!

People who don't like hatchbacks are already aware of their cargo advantages. Most people simply don't have much use, ever, for holding that much cargo or are willing to drop $20 on a U-Haul the 1-2 times a year they may need it. Many in the US market prefer performance, passenger room, and aesthetics over cargo capabilities. Europe prefers utility and practicality. It's the reason why smart cars in the US are extremely niche and minority, while smart cars in Europe are considered the most premium car in the micro segment.

I drive to work and back. That's pretty much it. I think hatchbacks (in the traditional sense, like a Bolt) are hideous. The liftback form of a Model S is appealing though, and I think few would look at it and say hatchback. My wife is an SUV person, so if we need to haul stuff, we'll just always use her car. Never a concern for me. Love how the current design look and gives interior roominess/comfort feel.

• Disagree
Reactions: NeverFollow
People who don't like hatchbacks are already aware of their cargo advantages. Most people simply don't have much use, ever, for holding that much cargo or are willing to drop $20 on a U-Haul the 1-2 times a year they may need it. Many in the US market prefer performance, passenger room, and aesthetics over cargo capabilities. Europe prefers utility and practicality.
The funny thing about this discussion that keeps going round and round is that many hatchback lovers also love performance, passenger room and yes, even aesthetics. That was certainly the case for me with the A3: I loved the performance of the S-line version and the dual clutch and all wheel drive, was happy I could sit in the back despite my height (6'4") and the compact form of the A3 and I liked the looks of it, inside and out. They tried to upsell me to the A4 or A5 but the sedans with boot/trunk weren't at all appealing to me, aesthetically or in practicality!

I think what it really comes down to is just that some people like and some don't like hatchbacks/liftbacks. All those other qualities (and many more: fuel economy, luxury, design, reliability, cost, etc) vary in importance or interpretation for everyone regardless of whether they want a trunk or a hatchback.

That leaves some loving the Model 3 but disappointed in the lack of a liftback. It could've gone the other way round and in fact many of us expected it to and discussed this leading up to the reveal, given the Model S design.

Last edited:
To the dismay of some hatchback fans like me,
I just learned that the 3 will not be a hatchback per a tweet from Elon Musk himself.

@Christiano92 @Inspron @Jerry22499879 won't be a hatchback, but we should be able to increase the opening width and height

Ironically, I too was an A3 owner - a 2009 sportback Quattro - and it was by far my favorite out of all the cars I've owned. Yet I'm 110% positive that that will change with the Model 3.

Full article:
Five Things You Didn't Know About the Tesla Model 3

Reactions: Ocelot
The funny thing about this discussion that keeps going round and round is that many hatchback lovers also love performance, passenger room and yes, even aesthetics. That was certainly the case for me with the A3: I loved the performance of the S-line version and the dual clutch and all wheel drive, was happy I could sit in the back despite my height (6'4") and the compact form of the A3 and I liked the looks of it, inside and out. They tried to upsell me to the A4 or A5 but the sedans with boot/trunk weren't at all appealing to me, aesthetically or in practicality!

And for most Americans, on average, hatchbacks aren't preferred for aesthetics no matter what form they come in.

Just look at actual, real-life sales of hatchbacks versus sedans and other cars in the US.

That leaves some loving the Model 3 but disappointed in the lack of a liftback. It could've gone the other way round and in fact many of us expected it to and discussed this leading up to the reveal, given the Model S design.

Yes, but a liftback doesn't work on a vehicle the size of the Model 3. It's a physical impossibility unless you want the rear seats to be for children only, or the front of the car to look like a smart car. Making the Model 3 a liftback--in Tesla's own words--would kill rear passenger headroom, rear visibility, and/or aesthetics.

I don't see how so many people on this forum think that Tesla engineers are purposefully gutting their mass-market car that they specifically designed to revolutionize and change the entire world, literally. They aren't sitting in a room, conspiring to hobble this car so that people don't buy it.

And for most Americans, on average, hatchbacks aren't preferred for aesthetics no matter what form they come in. Just look at actual, real-life sales of hatchbacks versus sedans and other cars in the US.
Well, that's not so clear cut. Many manufacturers report that for models which are offered in both sedan and hatchback forms, the hatchback forms are actually very popular and often exceed the sales of the sedan version. Also, when you consider how popular SUV's and crossovers are (now exceeding sedans) and that most of these are essentially hatchbacks in form or function... it's a little odd to keep saying that most Americans don't like the utility of hatchbacks.

There's a well-worn cliché that is uttered periodically by just about every product planner and PR wonk in the auto industry – one that's been dutifully parroted by the journalists and enthusiasts that surround them, and it goes something like this: "Sorry, fellas, Americans just don't buy hatchbacks." Typically, that chestnut is trotted out whenever an automaker is compelled to explain why a particularly desirable new hatchback won't be sold in U.S. showrooms. Thing is, this commonly accepted bit of wisdom isn't as true as we've been led to believe.
Hatchbacks: Who says Americans don't buy 'em?
Ford: Sales Figures Suggest the Hatch is Here to Stay
Hatchback vs Sedan: Why You Might Want to Consider a Hatchback - Autotrader
SUVs and crossovers overtake sedans as most popular U.S. vehicles
http://jalopnik.com/a-simple-explanation-why-america-doesnt-get-european-h-1493377285

Reactions: Ocelot
Well, that's not so clear cut. Many manufacturers report that for models which are offered in both sedan and hatchback forms, the hatchback forms are actually very popular and often exceed the sales of the sedan version. Also, when you consider how popular SUV's and crossovers are (now exceeding sedans) and that most of these are essentially hatchbacks in form or function... it's a little odd to keep saying that most Americans don't like the utility of hatchbacks.

Hatchbacks: Who says Americans don't buy 'em?
Ford: Sales Figures Suggest the Hatch is Here to Stay
Hatchback vs Sedan: Why You Might Want to Consider a Hatchback - Autotrader
http://jalopnik.com/a-simple-explanation-why-america-doesnt-get-european-h-1493377285
The Motor Trend article says hatchbacks are getting more more popular, but the numbers they show say the sedans still outsell hatchbacks (although it has improved from previous years).

The Autoblog article shows more favorable news for hatchback models, but they are the cheapest econoboxes at the bottom of the lineup (Fiesta, Yaris, Accent, Aveo). For the ones that are slightly higher in the lineup (Mazda 3 and Jetta/Golf) the sedan handily outsells the hatchback.

And once you get to the premium segment (as for Model 3), the examples shown gives a very horrible case for hatchbacks. The A7 (outsold by A6) and Panamera (mediocre sales) I already discussed. The A3 vs A4 is a good example; the A4 sedan handily outsold the hatchback-only A3, until 2014 when they introduced the sedan version of the A3.
Audi A3 Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR
Audi A4 Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

As for talking about CUV/SUVs, Americans do not view them the same as hatchbacks. Automakers treat hatchback as a dirty world in the premium segment. They do everything they can to make a hatchback into a "crossover" (including slight changes in ride height and body cladding). Sometimes the only thing they do is change the name (as below):
http://jalopnik.com/why-dealers-forced-infiniti-to-change-the-q30s-name-1752012232

I am 100% sure a traditional hatchback like A3 would sell significantly worse. A sedan-like hatchback like the S (marketed as a sedan) is a different story, but already know why Tesla didn't chose this configuration (rear headroom).

First, as stopcrazypp pointed out, SUVs/CUVs are not considered hatchback, they are in a different market segment all together.

And if you look at the sales number, it is very clear cut.
In 2014 in US, 35.5% sales are sedans, 5.5% hatchbacks, 1.2% wagons, 36.5% SUVs/CUVs.
Can't get any more clear cut as that.

Can you give me some examples of which hatchback forms outsells the sedan versions? I can't think of any.
On the contrary, I can give you tons of example of the opposite like Golf vs Jetta.

And I have been hearing over and over again about what don't you like about utility of hatchback, or what is there to lose etc.
Surprisingly, utility is not the number 1 concern when people buy cars, actually, it's not even in the top 10!

10 Top Reasons Why People Buy Specific Cars

Utility and practicality not in the top 10 for 2015 survey.
And 1/3 of the buyer won't consider the car if they don't like the exterior styling.

If everyone worries about utility, no one would be buying coupe and convertible versions - you get less room, less cargo space, less rear passenger room but yet, you are charged more for the car.

Reactions: eloder
In 2014 in US, 35.5% sales are sedans, 5.5% hatchbacks, 1.2% wagons, 36.5% SUVs/CUVs.
Yup. It's like someone saying that toe-mah-toes and toe-may-toes are the same thing.

Utility and practicality not in the top 10 for 2015 survey.
For the same reason that 'sedan' is not either: it is not one of the choices because the survey is trying parse consumer choice within a segment.

Last edited:
First, as stopcrazypp pointed out, SUVs/CUVs are not considered hatchback, they are in a different market segment all together.

And if you look at the sales number, it is very clear cut.

Clear cut, no not really. If you look at this differently you can just as easily make the claim that the vast majority of car buyers prefer cars that have easy access to load and store cargo.
That is why most buy liftbacks, hatchbacks, SUV's/CUVs and wagons. And if you toss in pick up trucks with easy access sedans become an even smaller percentage of cars sold.
The message here is what you hear all the time, you can make stats say pretty much anything you want:)

Clear cut, no not really. If you look at this differently you can just as easily make the claim that the vast majority of car buyers prefer cars that have easy access to load and store cargo.
That is why most buy liftbacks, hatchbacks, SUV's/CUVs and wagons. And if you toss in pick up trucks with easy access sedans become an even smaller percentage of cars sold.

Hmmm....... sorry, I don't get your point at all.
We are not trying to categorize car by utilities or usage. You need to look at the stats from Tesla car production point of view. Of course, you can choose another angle to analyze the data, but it would not be relevant to the discussion of this thread.

Let's put it this way, you are the Tesla CEO, and you know that you can produce two models based on the new compact chassis in the next 6 years. Which body style would you choose?
If you decide to base your decision on sales numbers, the choice is very clear cut. Sedan and SUVs/CUVs would have 72% of the potential market, the largest pie possible - Model 3 and Model Y. After that, you may see a Tesla pickup in the road map.

Why would you lump all the hatchbacks, wagons, SUVs together? They are all different cars and different designs. Tesla has limited production and development capacity. Bigger manufacturers would produce all variations including coupe and convertible to have the largest market share available. Tesla cannot do that.

Reactions: Zoomit