TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No longer see option to purchase extended warranty

Discussion in 'Model X' started by stevemc, Aug 23, 2019.

1. stevemc

stevemc Member

I just went into the manage Model X page and I noticed the section has been updated. I like the new look but I don't see an option to purchase the extended warranty any longer. I was thinking of waiting until my car was almost out of warranty to decide whether or not to purchase it. Well seem like Tesla may have made that decision for me.

2. cartwright

cartwright Member

Same. I have 46k miles on my car and plan(ned?) to go ahead and get the service agreement. Might have to give them a call.

3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

I believe Tesla stopped offering extended service near the end of the year. There are 3rd party solutions.

4. cartwright

cartwright Member

The option was there within the last few weeks for sure.

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Are we talking about service or warranty? Two different things. One is prepaid annual service (which has semi disappeared/reduced) and one is extended warranty on the car.

So....

• Helpful x 1
  6. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Active Member

Mine is also gone too. I noticed it the other week. We are talking a out extended warranty not service agreement.

• Like x 1
  7. ajdelange

ajdelange Banned

See Extended Service Agreement. You now have to go to a Service Center to buy it. This is very disturbing. They don't offer it at all for the 3 and it looks as if its heading that way for the S and X too. Were I a prospective buyer I'd put that together with the service horror stories and might well be frightened away.

8. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Thanks for the updated information.

It used to say after the price table: "See your Tesla Account for availability."

It sounds like Tesla is discouraging the ease to buy ESA. Some owners are hundreds of miles from a Service Center. Some states don't even have one so they have to drive to another state.

9. ajdelange

ajdelange Banned

I've been a huge fan up to this point. I found this discovery very upsetting. A Republican is a Democrat who has been mugged. I don't want to have to change parties.

• Funny x 3
  10. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

I thought it's just business.

Tesla keeps changing policies all the time.

They must have some economic rationales for making buying ESA harder for S and X and impossible for the 3.

After all, Tesla is a business and it would do whatever it takes to save or make a few bucks.

11. ajdelange

ajdelange Banned

It is just a business. A business that appears to backing away from support of its product. I have lots of high tech gadgets that are no longer usable because their manufacturers don't support them. I don't want this $100K + chariot to become one of those.

• Like x 4
  12. electricar

electricar Member

I'm worried that Tesla might not be around to honor my new car warranty so purchasing an ESA made no sense to me at this point. I really like the car, become very attached to my cars, and keep them a long time I but wouldn't want to own it out of warranty. It is probably not a big deal though because if Tesla doesn't offer an ESA in 2022 when I would want to purchase it there should be lots of other electric cars to choose from made by companies that understand the importance of customer loyally and repeat business.

• Like x 1
  13. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I would think the only reason the ESA isn’t available for the 3 is that NO WARRANTEES will expire for years.

Why offer something no one will buy since the cars are only what two years old?

• Funny x 1
  14. Zorg

Zorg Active Member

It reinforces my decision to lease.

15. Ludalicious

Am I reading this correctly. It no longer covers the battery or drive units? 20190824_195722.jpg

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  16. ajdelange

ajdelange Banned

Read on. It never did. The battery and drive units are covered by a separate 8 year warranty.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

No. It has never covered Battery and Drive Unit.

What it means is you don't need to pay ESA in order to get coverage for the most 2 expensive parts: Battery and Drive Unit because those 2 coverages come standard with your S and X (8 years / infinite miles whichever first).

18. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

I guess you haven't read:

Extended warranty? I can't believe it. What did he just say?

1) From the horse's mouth: No ESA for Model 3.
    2) Some people drive a lot and need ESA now.

19. Ludalicious

ahhhh ok. so theres no warranty after the 8 years. this warranty is for bumper to bumper excluding brakes ect. Seems steep IMO

20. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member