Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more dryer adapters (10-30 and 14-30)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's already too late to get one now, at least from Tesla.

I stopped by the Sunnyvale service center on my way home tonight, and was told in no uncertain terms:
- the NEMA 14-30 adapter has been "discontinued" and is no longer available for sale
- any stock they have is strictly for warranty replacement
- they would not be able to sell one to me
- no other service center would be able to sell them

Hopefully they will take note of the fact that customers are still requesting these adapters. (I had to explain that this was not for charging at home, but for infrequent charging at a destination where I could not simply install a 14-50 outlet or HPWC.)

The good news is that third-party adapters will fill this void, even if they require manually dialing back the current for that site. More pessimistically, I think the Ontario pilot foreshadows the end of days for the 40A NEMA 14-50 adapter, which could also be "discontinued" in favor of a 32A variety without warning.
I just don't understand this attitude from the service center. What changed? When the 6-50 adapter was discontinued the service centers that had remaining inventory were happy to sell them. These UMC adapters are safer than the ones from EVSEadapters or corddepot or any homemade solution as they set the correct amps automatically. I sort of understand Tesla's reluctance to promote them as they may appear to make the car "complicated" to a mainstream buyer, but to refuse to sell one to someone who asks for it is just perplexing. And yet they just came out with a 6-15 adapter that hardly anyone would have a use for. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Or I will be happy to make a 14-50 to 10-30 adapter for anyone willing to pay $10,000. Seriously one can pick up the parts at any hardware/Lowes/Home Depot and build one for under $25. Not difficult BUT you then MUST dial down the current in the car.
Which is why the Tesla UMC adapters are safer. Which is why Tesla should have them available even if they don't want to actively promote them to the masses who are being taught to use only supercharger, HPWC, or 14-50.

It's already too late to get one now, at least from Tesla.

I stopped by the Sunnyvale service center on my way home tonight, and was told in no uncertain terms:
- the NEMA 14-30 adapter has been "discontinued" and is no longer available for sale
- any stock they have is strictly for warranty replacement
- they would not be able to sell one to me
- no other service center would be able to sell them

Hopefully they will take note of the fact that customers are still requesting these adapters. (I had to explain that this was not for charging at home, but for infrequent charging at a destination where I could not simply install a 14-50 outlet or HPWC.)

The good news is that third-party adapters will fill this void, even if they require manually dialing back the current for that site. More pessimistically, I think the Ontario pilot foreshadows the end of days for the 40A NEMA 14-50 adapter, which could also be "discontinued" in favor of a 32A variety without warning.
I went to the Palo Alto store and was told the same thing. 30A adapters are discontinued and are no longer available for purchase. I also checked with Quick Charge Power's web site and they have been removed from there too. It looks like the only way to keep my cars (RAV4 EV and e-Golf) from overloading a 30A circuit is to get a 20A adapter and accept 16A charging. Well, either that or sell the Jesla and get a proper adjustable EVSE for traveling. If anyone has a 30A UMC adapter (14-30 or 10-30) that they are willing to part with, please PM me.

Wow, that's disappointing. I had assumed the absence of 10-30s in the online store was just a temporary thing, so I was going to ask about one in-person once I take delivery. I see 10-30 outlets far more frequently than any other 240v outlet.

I'm also happy to buy a 10-30 and/or 14-30 adapter off of anyone who has one to spare. I'll pay 1.5x retail; shoot me a PM.

I have recent 7.0 (2.9.77) software in Model S. Maybe that's the reason my charge dropped to 30 amps after charging for awhile? It has stayed at 40 amps in the past.

This occurred at a remote location, so I cannot test this again for awhile. Just wanted to post the info so others can compare their use of the NEMA 14-50 adapter.

When charging drops to 30A it's because the car senses a voltage drop. It's a safety feature when there may be bad wiring to the 14-50 outlet. It has nothing to do with the software version, other than this "feature" started with a version long before 7.0 that I don't remember but a search here could find it if you're interested.

Wow, that's disappointing. I had assumed the absence of 10-30s in the online store was just a temporary thing, so I was going to ask about one in-person once I take delivery. I see 10-30 outlets far more frequently than any other 240v outlet.

I'm also happy to buy a 10-30 and/or 14-30 adapter off of anyone who has one to spare. I'll pay 1.5x retail; shoot me a PM.

I picked one up at the Charlotte, NC Service Center this morning. They had 7 in stock (well, 6 now :) )

Success on the 10-30! This thing is massive compared to the others. Getting closer to a full set...

tesla_adapter_trio_small.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up! I just called the Sunnyvale SC and they had them in stock as well. Heading over to pick one up now.
WTF?! When I showed up there in person, the service manager was clear that "discontinued" meant "we can't sell you one." And now they're saying they have them in stock??

I'm actually looking for a 14-30 as well, although it's probably the easiest adapter to make (according to cosmacelf's document). Maybe I'll go ask to be put on a waiting list at the SC in case they have a fresh shipment, or another change of policy.

WTF?! When I showed up there in person, the service manager was clear that "discontinued" meant "we can't sell you one." And now they're saying they have them in stock??

I'm actually looking for a 14-30 as well, although it's probably the easiest adapter to make (according to cosmacelf's document). Maybe I'll go ask to be put on a waiting list at the SC in case they have a fresh shipment, or another change of policy.
A little over a week ago I picked up a 14-30 from the Van Nuys service center, they had just done inventory so they knew exactly what they had in stock. Not sure if service centers will ship to your location but it's worth giving them a call.

While I was there I saw several Model Xs being prepped for delivery, although at that time they said they had yet to deliver one.

Huh, very weird. Try asking for Evan in the parts department. He was super awesome about it and had one from stock waiting for me when I arrived.

I guess I can understand them ditching the NEMA 10 adapters if they wanted to push safety concerns. 6-outlets have grounds. 10-outlets don't. 14-outlets have both. So keep making 6 and 14 adapters Tesla.
View attachment 104728

I installed my NEMA 10-30 outlet (extension from an existing 10-30 dryer outlet in my garage) using metal conduit which provides a ground path. What is the point of a ground lug on the UMC plug anyway? There is nothing metallic on it that a user can touch.

I installed my NEMA 10-30 outlet (extension from an existing 10-30 dryer outlet in my garage) using metal conduit which provides a ground path. What is the point of a ground lug on the UMC plug anyway? There is nothing metallic on it that a user can touch.
I'm pretty sure the car is metallic, and I'm pretty sure the user can (and frequently does) touch it.

The equipment grounding conductor (EGC, a/k/a "ground") connects through to the car. Imagine what might happen if, due to vibration, one of the "hot" wires from the UMC to the charging inlet to the charger got rubbed enough inside the car that it was shorted to the car's body. By touching the car and standing on the ground, you become a convenient path for current to flow back to the transformer. The EGC is absolutely critical, especially in a high-current circuit, to provide a good path to ground that would trip the circuit breaker in case of a fault.

The UMC provides ground fault protection so that if current does flow this way (30 mA max), it will shut off with a ground fault indication, much like the GFCI receptacles in your bathroom.

The equipment grounding conductor (EGC, a/k/a "ground") connects through to the car. Imagine what might happen if, due to vibration, one of the "hot" wires from the UMC to the charging inlet to the charger got rubbed enough inside the car that it was shorted to the car's body. By touching the car and standing on the ground, you become a convenient path for current to flow back to the transformer. The EGC is absolutely critical, especially in a high-current circuit, to provide a good path to ground that would trip the circuit breaker in case of a fault.

The UMC provides ground fault protection so that if current does flow this way (30 mA max), it will shut off with a ground fault indication, much like the GFCI receptacles in your bathroom.

Sounds like an improbable circumstance to put it mildly. If that were to happen and the internal GFCI in the UMC tripped, how could it be reset?

Sounds like an improbable circumstance to put it mildly. If that were to happen and the internal GFCI in the UMC tripped, how could it be reset?

Unplug and plug it back in. GFCI's don't all have test/reset buttons.

Such ground faults are not as improbable as you think. There are a lot of ways this can happen. Good news is that the EVSE provides logic to ensure the pilot signal is there, so you get a bit more protection in the car. But imagine you're in a fender bender that shifts the charge port and shears the cable going to the charger, which lands on a metallic part of the car. You go plug in, the pilot signal from the EVSE is good, and the car tells the EVSE to energize. The car now sits at 120V relative to ground.

Ever touch a refrigerator or oven and a stainless steel sink at the same time and end up with a shock from it? Ground fault.