Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more Full Self Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
As of right now, the "Full Self Driving" option has been completely removed from Tesla's website.

It is no longer an option that can be ordered with new vehicles.

The website (under the description of AutoPilot) still claims that "Every new Model S comes standard with advanced hardware capable of providing Enhanced Autopilot features today, and full self-driving capabilities in the future - through software updates designed to improve functionality over time." So Tesla is still claiming the AP hardware is sufficient for FSD (though it's likely that at least an AP processor upgrade will be needed, at least for AP 2.x vehicles).

If Tesla has decided not to accept any new orders for FSD, Tesla should provide current owners who've already purchased FSD an explanation of Tesla's change in strategy, and what impact, if any, that will have on the FSD option they've already purchased.

And for existing owners that purchased vehicles and declined to purchase FSD, with an estimate by Tesla for the cost of future activation of FSD, they should also confirm what will happen if/when Tesla gets FSD capabilities operating.

Or... Has Tesla decided to bundle future FSD with all vehicles, for a single price and if/when FSD features become available - all vehicles with EAP will also get those features?

Has anyone seen any announcement on a change in policy for EAP/FSD?

Reactions: croman
The possibility exists that, despite Electrek's take, Tesla's confidence is actually very high. Perhaps with the new chipset that they've designed they are closer than they want to let anybody know and, this is the point here, they're going to raise the price a ton! I wouldn't be surprised to see this feature be a $10,000 option. If it actually works people will pay.

Of course Elon could just be stinging from his SEC case and not wanting to have another one hit him in the head!

• Informative
Reactions: Magus
The possibility exists that, despite Electrek's take, Tesla's confidence is actually very high. Perhaps with the new chipset that they've designed they are closer than they want to let anybody know and, this is the point here, they're going to raise the price a ton! I wouldn't be surprised to see this feature be a $10,000 option. If it actually works people will pay.

Of course Elon could just be stinging from his SEC case and not wanting to have another one hit him in the head!
Way to double down on the optimism, despite every shred of available evidence. :)

When we purchased FSD for our S and X, we assumed that even before FSD was fully functional and (if ever) approved for use, Tesla would be providing the features in driver assist mode - expanding the situations under which the software is essentially driving the vehicle beyond limited access highways (which is the primary goal for EAP - entry ramp to exit ramp).

Tesla could clean up the FSD option considerably by rebranding it to something else - like "EAP+", initially providing features beyond EAP under more conditions (than limited access highways), and eventually, once the software is validated and approved for use, purchasing EAP+ would also provide Full Self Driving (without driver monitoring). And, with EAP+, owners would be provided free AP processor upgrades, if needed to achieve FSD.

Since this would be a change in how this feature is marketed, Tesla could provide a limited time offer for current owners. Those who've purchased FSD already would have a short time to request a full refund. And for those who haven't yet purchased FSD, they could be purchase the EAP+ option at the originally quoted price of activating FSD after delivery. And after this limited time period, future EAP+ activation would be at the prevailing rate, allowing Tesla to change that pricing in the future, to help cover any hardware upgrade costs.

Having the potential for eventual Full Self Driving, is something the other manufacturers are unlikely to provide in their competing EVs. As long Tesla can clean up the perceptions and promises for this feature, making it available again (with different branding/description) should help them compete against the other EVs entering the market soon.

Reactions: henderrj
I haven't read all the speculation but my gut reaction is it was removed because they have admitted internally there needs to be some hardware tweaks they are not ready to roll into production.
They will make things right and modify already sold cars but don't want to keep selling the option knowing they will have to modify cars sold between now and when the hardware update goes into the production line.

Reactions: Inside and dbldwn02
Well, I decided to bite the bullet and pay the $5,000 + $350 tax on my credit card for Full Self Drive. I’m either ahead of the curve or very foolish. I don’t even know what to expect next. I only know that my intuition led me to believe that I should make the purchase on 12/31/2018, before the end of the year. Please be kind with your comments.
If anything, you can enjoy the frequent flyer miles earned on your credit card. Not a total waste.

• Funny
Reactions: NeverFollow
Well, I decided to bite the bullet and pay the $5,000 + $350 tax on my credit card for Full Self Drive. I’m either ahead of the curve or very foolish. I don’t even know what to expect next. I only know that my intuition led me to believe that I should make the purchase on 12/31/2018, before the end of the year. Please be kind with your comments.

lol. Good luck with that. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Tic-tac-toe
Well, patience is a virtue :)

Well, sometime taking risks can pay off.

I remember reading that when Ghosn, vice president at Renault, spent $5.4 billion to buy a 36.8 percent stake in Nissan Motors,
Bob Lutz, vice chairman of General Motors, said that:

"Renault would be better off taking $5 billion, putting it on a barge and sinking it in the middle of the ocean.”

So, who know if you can re-coupe back your $5,000.

I was considering doing the same as you did, but honestly $5,000 for just getting a new CPU chip
when you can get a laptop for $1,000 seems a little bit high.

So I decided waiting for getting directly a new Model Y with AP3 included when it will available.
But who know when...

Last edited:
When I bought my car with FSD in September both the sales advisor AND store manager "strongly" advised against it. But I am planning on keeping the car quite a while, it was cheaper than buying later, and I was prepared to take a punt with little expected in the short to medium term. If I see anything within 3-5 years I'll be delighted.