Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more P90DL? P85DL faster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ICUDoc

May 19, 2015
Sydney NSW
I note that the P90D no longer has the Ludicrous option on the Au Tesla website.
So where does this leave a new car buyer? Is the P85DL faster than a (new battery generation) P90D?
Sorry- I have searched the main forums but the search results are very diluted by older threads....
Many many thanks for your help...

I note that the P90D no longer has the Ludicrous option on the Au Tesla website.
So where does this leave a new car buyer? Is the P85DL faster than a (new battery generation) P90D?
Sorry- I have searched the main forums but the search results are very diluted by older threads....
Many many thanks for your help...
I think the only Ludicrous model now is the P100D. Possibly can still get it after market.

They are not doing P90D upgrades, and I don't think they ever did. If you tried to get it aftermarket the answer was always " we are not doing them yet" .The P85D upgrades were being done on those who bought their car just prior to the P90D release. The P85DL would be quicker than the P90D but not the P90DL.

Mate, I bin searching the forums for a thread comparing a recent P90D (non-L) to a P85 DL. Any ideas??
I think pretty similar, but as I might be in the market for a new car....
As far as I remember, the P85D and P90D are similar; the 90 is just a little quicker.
Similarly, the P85D and P90D are roughly the same with the 90 just a little quicker.
Obviously, the P100D beats both older models.
When I was in the US recently I had a P85D for 3 weeks and that was quite fast enough for me.

As far as I remember, the P85D and P90D are similar; the 90 is just a little quicker.
Similarly, the P85D and P90D are roughly the same with the 90 just a little quicker.
Obviously, the P100D beats both older models.
When I was in the US recently I had a P85D for 3 weeks and that was quite fast enough for me.
Yep, I agree, the P85D is definitely quick enough. I just don't want to go slower, was hoping the P90 with latest battery would be as quick; the P100 is much more expensive...

Yep, I agree, the P85D is definitely quick enough. I just don't want to go slower, was hoping the P90 with latest battery would be as quick; the P100 is much more expensive...
You could probably get the P90DL from the Tesla SC as an inventory car. They had some a week or so back with low K's (3000 or so) at a substantial discount to the new car price. Phone Stephanie at Richmond SC (can transfer cars to Sydney) on 0498338808.

Times are here for all models
Tesla Model S - Wikipedia
Firewired is correct, the improvement in the P85DL is mid range torque. The 0-30 mph does not change much
Remember the P85D upgrade was about conductors with higher power handling (fuses and high melting alloys)
Thanks very much, guys. I am trying to find out what the newer P90Ds are like, as you can't get a P85DL anymore. I've heard that the newer ones have better batteries.... can't find new data anywhere.
The 0-100 and 0-400m don't give the true story of the midrange pull that the Ludicrous mode gives as an advantage...

Thanks very much, guys. I am trying to find out what the newer P90Ds are like, as you can't get a P85DL anymore. I've heard that the newer ones have better batteries.... can't find new data anywhere.
Even if they have better batteries you'll find the standard P90D (non ludicrous) will have a lower amperage limit on the fuse. The car will be software limited and just won't draw the power that the ludicrous P85DL/P90DL can.

In short, I think you will find that a new P90D (even with better batteries) will be slower than your P85DL due to the lower amperage limit programmed into the fuse.

The P85DL produces power similar to most of the P90DLs (around 450kW). There were obviously some newer P90DLs that produced 500kW but it's hard to say how many of these are out there.

The P100D is a big jump, the battery architecture is now much better (less voltage sag, better power delivery at lower SOC). If you can hold out a bit longer though I think you'll see an even bigger jump when the 2170 gigafactory battery cells are integrated. Maybe it'll be P120D too ;)