Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No snow / ice around the car on the driveway - does the battery pack give off some heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the 1-2cm of snow that settled here the other day, I noticed a good few feet of driveway behind and in front of the car was clear of snow.

No snow in front of the car could easily be explained by shielding from the house. But behind the car I'm less sure.. so I am wondering if the battery pack or car in general gives off a tiny bit of heat (maybe to stop things getting too cold) and if so, it was enough to prevent the recent dusting from settling?

Our neighbour commented that our car never seems to need de-icing / scraping etc, which I said was due to the remote defrost feature (smug face), but I said I couldn't really explain why the area around the car was defrosted too!

After the 1-2cm of snow that settled here the other day, I noticed a good few feet of driveway behind and in front of the car was clear of snow.

No snow in front of the car could easily be explained by shielding from the house. But behind the car I'm less sure.. so I am wondering if the battery pack or car in general gives off a tiny bit of heat (maybe to stop things getting too cold) and if so, it was enough to prevent the recent dusting from settling?

Our neighbour commented that our car never seems to need de-icing / scraping etc, which I said was due to the remote defrost feature (smug face), but I said I couldn't really explain why the area around the car was defrosted too!
The battery pack has a large thermal mass. After a reasonable amount of use the warmth in the pack will build up and when parked will dissipate relatively slowly. I would guess that the pack is going to be above ambient temperature for a period of more than 24 hours, possibly a couple of days ... perhaps someone with specific knowledge in this area could comment. It only needs to be slightly above ambient to make a difference to the ground adjacent to the car.

Reactions: pow216 and Andy H
No specific knowledge but empirically plausible. I have other images showing similar at different angles so not just a one off.

1671019202168.jpeg