Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No sound, no soul?

Will you miss the sound of an engine and exhaust.

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I hear loud cars all the time but I guess it rarely ever bothers me.

So then, as you admit, it does bother you, albeit rarely. If it bothers even a hardcore loud car enthusiast, then perhaps the owner should be more considerate of the vast majority of people that it obviously bothers much more than just rarely? If not, then perhaps he's an arsehole? I know a lot of people that are nice overall but in certain aspects of their life they are arseholes (including, probably, yours truly, although I'd deny that if asked). I guess that's where I differ with S'toon in that all loud car owners are obviously not "complete and utter aholes", although I am sure some are.

QUOTE="Wolfsburg, post: 1481324, member: 46274"] Of course, I've always enjoyed cars of various flavors so maybe that's the difference.[/QUOTE]

Yes, right... it's because we don't enjoy cars of various flavors that loud, startling noise annoys us.... :rolleyes:

My hearing is bad from all the years of driving with open windows and loud music (mostly the latter). Now when I drive my ICE (and it's a BMW X5, pretty well cushioned) I cannot hear my wife and kids when they speak. I'm constantly asking for them to speak up or repeat the question. In the Tesla, I can actually hear them. I prefer hearing my family in the car, rather than the car.

Like many of you I have reserved a TM3.I know this will probably not relate to many of you, but for the true gear heads like me, won't you miss the sound of an engine and exhaust? I know 99% of the time, you really don't want to be hearing those sorts of sounds but that 1% of the time when you want to open it up and hear the engine hitting the limiter, the turbo waste gate fluttering. I wish that an EV had that drama just once in a while. I think without those sounds the car has no soul or character. Maybe eventually you will get a in car app which will play those sounds through the speakers, not the same I know

Honestly?

For guys like you there are cars like BMWs, even the i8, that blast artificial engine noise through the speakers.

I am by no means the typical EV fanatic. But the one thing that I always liked the most about EVs (any EV, from UK milk-float in the late 1970s to a 2016 Model S P90DL) was the lack of engine noise.
Perhaps I should add that I hate (loud) noise in general, the louder and annoying the noise, the more I hate it. When one of our neighbours drives by in his Quad or another one in his blubbering V8 BMW M3, I always get a sudden urge of extreme angryness.

So no, I won't miss the sound of an engine or exhaust come the time I own my Model 3. On the contrary, I would vote for mandatory silencers on all cars above a certain exterior decibel level. If one wants to be blasted with engine noise in the interior, he can have it the BMW way without irritating the environment.

Plus, I think the "character" of a car is not measured by how much noise pollution it causes. Quite the opposite.
Quiet is the new sexy.

I think being quiet and understated is fantastic as opposed to see-me-hear-me type performance car. With Model 3, we are looking at a car that is very easy to drive - as smooth a luxury car and relaxing around town and especially in traffic, great comfort all round and performance when you need it. As AustinPowers says above, quiet is the new sexy and has been so for a while now.

Like many of you I have reserved a TM3.I know this will probably not relate to many of you, but for the true gear heads like me, won't you miss the sound of an engine and exhaust? I know 99% of the time, you really don't want to be hearing those sorts of sounds but that 1% of the time when you want to open it up and hear the engine hitting the limiter, the turbo waste gate fluttering. I wish that an EV had that drama just once in a while. I think without those sounds the car has no soul or character. Maybe eventually you will get a in car app which will play those sounds through the speakers, not the same I know
The Saleen 416 tuned model S has the sounds your looking for (but in an authentic electric way) And none of it appears to be fake through loudspeakers etc. Check it out on YouTube. Also, the i8, has pretty cool EV motor sounds while accelerating in EV mode. Nicely augmented by the loudspeakers. Im sure this approach will catch on. EVSM

• Informative
Reactions: Chrisuk83
The Saleen 416 tuned model S has the sounds your looking for (but in an authentic electric way) And none of it appears to be fake through loudspeakers etc. Check it out on YouTube. Also, the i8, has pretty cool EV motor sounds while accelerating in EV mode. Nicely augmented by the loudspeakers. Im sure this approach will catch on. EVSM
I should say maybe the SoundRacer EVSM will allow connection to cars like the model 3 giving augmented and louder electric motor sounds? I think that woukd be cool

eventually your love for the ICE sound will come to only represent lost power in the form of sound, inefficiency in the burning of gas, and destruction of the planet from the exhaust.

Precisely. Those sounds represent nothing less than the death of our planet. Think of it that way and missing them will seem like the most selfish act possible.

• Funny
Reactions: James Anders
I agree. They should definitely pipe in artificial "engine" noise like all the other car manufacturers are doing now (BMW, Mini, etc.). Only, it should be spaceship related sounds, since Elon said the steering controls will be like a spaceship. We especially need a lightspeed/hyperspace jump sound when throttle position is at 100%.

I definitely like this option. Only available on the D though :)

So then, as you admit, it does bother you, albeit rarely. If it bothers even a hardcore loud car enthusiast, then perhaps the owner should be more considerate of the vast majority of people that it obviously bothers much more than just rarely? If not, then perhaps he's an arsehole? I know a lot of people that are nice overall but in certain aspects of their life they are arseholes (including, probably, yours truly, although I'd deny that if asked). I guess that's where I differ with S'toon in that all loud car owners are obviously not "complete and utter aholes", although I am sure some are.

QUOTE="Wolfsburg, post: 1481324, member: 46274"] Of course, I've always enjoyed cars of various flavors so maybe that's the difference.

Yes, right... it's because we don't enjoy cars of various flavors that loud, startling noise annoys us.... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Read what I said. He's saying that all people with loud cars are aholes and I'm saying that's a ridiculous generalization. You and I are basically agreeing so I'm not sure what the problem is. I never said NONE are aholes but it's not something I assume based on how loud their car is. A loud Japanese 4-banger sounds terrible to me and I wonder how the driver could think that sounds good but I don't assume he's an ahole. I might question their tastes, but that's about as far as it goes. I'm just saying it almost never bothers me, perhaps because I've been around cars of various types all my life and I've interacted with plenty of people that aren't aholes that have loud cars...

Last edited:
As this thread demonstrates, there are many who don't like hearing loud cars. That's one of the things that is great about a Tesla. You can enjoy the power without annoying anyone. Though if you really like the sound of a tuned ICE, that's something you just have to give up in order to get all the other advantages. (I like manual transmissions, but was happy to give that up for all the other benefits of my Tesla)

I can't stand fake things on cars. Fake hood scoops. And even more vile, fake engine sounds. When it comes to ICE cars however, Ford actually had a reasonable compromise on the 2011+ Mustang GT where it had a sound tube to pipe more of the desirable engine sounds into the cabin. This means the engine can be quieter overall while still getting nice well tuned sounds in the cabin, and even though one might view the sound tube as a tad cheesy, at least it's not fake engine sounds.

I definitely like this option. Only available on the D though :)
I agree. They should definitely pipe in artificial "engine" noise like all the other car manufacturers are doing now (BMW, Mini, etc.). Only, it should be spaceship related sounds, since Elon said the steering controls will be like a spaceship. We especially need a lightspeed/hyperspace jump sound when throttle position is at 100%.

FISKER has the spaceship sound at low speeds it's pretty sweet sounding!

Like many of you I have reserved a TM3..... Maybe eventually you will get a in car app which will play those sounds through the speakers, not the same I know

Going forward (after taking delivery of my M3) there are only TWO vehicles I'd want to be dead in. I'll let the readers figure out which two with a few clues.

- The first is one of the QUIETEST forms or high speed 4 wheel'd travel while the other is by far the LOUDEST zero wheel'd ULTRA high speed travel.

- One is built by a company who's name sake to a late 19th century inventor who changed the world while the other company has as "mission statement" to '...get your ass to Mars!' (okay not exactly that but I can have some fun) and who's founder has ALSO changed the world.

- They are BOTH designed and built right across the street from one another.

- Both vehicles are built by the same father.

- One has a FRUNK and a TRUNK while the other often flies around with a Dragon in its belly.

So yes, those are the only two vehicles *I* wanna ride in! How they sound is exactly how they need to sound.

• Disagree
Reactions: st50maint
As the owner of an extremely loud straight-piped V8, my neighbours and I are all very much looking forward to the Tesla.

I hear that. So to speak.

I put a SuperTrap on my last motorcycle (many, many years ago). Made me sound all powerful and cool. People KNEW when I was about to show up. And then I started commuting on that bike, and felt terrible starting it in my sleepy neighborhood. After I received a few complaints from my friendly neighbors who wanted to sleep in past 6am, I began pushing that bike down the street before starting it, and then being ever so gentle on the throttle until I was out of the residential area. Two weeks later, I reinstalled the stock exhaust and discovered a few things:

1. The bike was easier to start and ran better.
2. my headaches went away.
3. I could use the bike more conveniently by not having to push it down the street before starting it.
4. I was an idiot for spending all that money for the express purpose of making my vehicle louder.

Reactions: Phthalate
Well, I'm pretty sure that the OP gets the idea by now. Once you have real power at your disposal, there's no more need to tell everybody around you about it.

And to the OP: Just because we drive EVs does not mean that many of us are NOT gear-heads. Quite the opposite is true. In many cases we are driving EVs because we are gear-heads. Being a gear-head does not equate to needing to hear a "throaty roar" to tell us that we're heavy on the go-pedal. It turns out, having real go is much better than listening for the sound of slow inefficiency.

The reason why I said this will not apply to everybody is that I'm sure sales rep types and similar are probably definitely not gear heads will be buying the TM3. Not everyone buying the model 3 will have every driven a highly tuned car and probably never wanted to. From my own experience it's kind of a culture thing you get into in your teens and it stays with you. Some people just never are into that kind of thing