Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No sound, no soul?

Will you miss the sound of an engine and exhaust.

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's funny that car manufacturers have developed complicated noise canceling systems and insulation in order to keep out this so called glorious engine sound. Well, except for that 4 banger Mustang that pipes fake engine noises in the cabin WHILE canceling out real engine noise (called "Active Noise Control"). I mean.. really.

The reason why I said this will not apply to everybody is that I'm sure sales rep types and similar are probably definitely not gear heads will be buying the TM3. Not everyone buying the model 3 will have every driven a highly tuned car and probably never wanted to. From my own experience it's kind of a culture thing you get into in your teens and it stays with you. Some people just never are into that kind of thing

Ah. Got it. It just didn't sound like that's where you were going with it initially. It sounded like only "true gear heads like you" could appreciate the glorious sound of tuned explosions. And that maybe the drivers of truly high-performance cars (EVs) wouldn't get it. :)

I know this will probably not relate to many of you, but for the true gear heads like me...

Eh? I have sound. Reus Audio Level 3-enabled sound. It's as close to perfect as there is in a Model S, short of dropping $30K for an even more customized system than the Reus system already is for the exact contours of the Model S interior.

Without besmirching the term, you want to know what's truly ludicrous? That would be piping in tuned exhaust sounds through speakers, as does BMW, or wasting dollars upon getting the sound better through the exhaust itself, as does GM and probably other ICE purveyors.

/goml

IMHO nothing wrong with a louder whirring in an EV. Heck, why not have a louder whirr/spaceship sound when doing a kick down from a standing start?

It's details like this that will expand the EV market even more .

If we really want 'soul' in a car and to tap into 40 000 years of innate learning we can have a soundtrack (thru the audio system and on request) of a horse - walking clip-clop (speed variable) up to, say, 15 mph; a trot increasing up to a canter (at around 30mph); then a liquid canter rising to a brisk canter (30-50mph); and eventually a gallop up to a crescendo of a full race horse at above 70mph.

Horses invoke primal instincts in most people and would be preferable to 'engineered' sounds or fake and irrelevant ICE noises.

Would fit in with Tesla's quirky humour too!

So many people dream of riding horses and never do.............

(Post script - people could have fun driving thru small quiet towns with their windows down and the 'horse' on full volume......!)

hmm. I think i would prefer a loud engineered spaceship sound or a louder real electric motor whine on-demand ... like when engaging insane mode for example. Horses galloping sounds weird to me. Lol

the only automotive "Soul" I know is a Kia... and I'm not touching that hamstermobile with a 10' cattle prod.

That said, I totally bought a 6 figure EV so i can pipe in fake ICE sounds and pretend that I'm driving something else.

Last edited:
It's funny that car manufacturers have developed complicated noise canceling systems and insulation in order to keep out this so called glorious engine sound. Well, except for that 4 banger Mustang that pipes fake engine noises in the cabin WHILE canceling out real engine noise (called "Active Noise Control"). I mean.. really.
I just looked this up. They are doing this with the EcoBoost Mustang. haha. I had no idea. Supposedly they don't do this on the V6 and V8 versions. The sound pipe (or resonator pipe) thing was okay, but "Active Noise Control" is going too far.

If we really want 'soul' in a car and to tap into 40 000 years of innate learning we can have a soundtrack (thru the audio system and on request) of a horse - walking clip-clop (speed variable) up to, say, 15 mph; a trot increasing up to a canter (at around 30mph); then a liquid canter rising to a brisk canter (30-50mph); and eventually a gallop up to a crescendo of a full race horse at above 70mph.

Horses invoke primal instincts in most people and would be preferable to 'engineered' sounds or fake and irrelevant ICE noises.

Would fit in with Tesla's quirky humour too!

So many people dream of riding horses and never do.............

(Post script - people could have fun driving thru small quiet towns with their windows down and the 'horse' on full volume......!)
Love the clip-clop and especially while in reverse. Or a just whinney. Or our EM's favorite, the cowbell. Or...

I just looked this up. They are doing this with the EcoBoost Mustang. haha. I had no idea. Supposedly they don't do this on the V6 and V8 versions. The sound pipe (or resonator pipe) thing was okay, but "Active Noise Control" is going too far.

They actually started with with the Focus ST. That said, Ford isnt the only manufacturer which has adopted this pathetic idea.

Reminds me of this asshattery...

People who buy these things need to be culled.

Reactions: MikeL and Chrisuk83
The main reason I brought it up was not the situation with amplifying the engine sounds, which some manufacturers do. I just think it's funny that they're working both to noise cancel and generate fake sounds.
I'm mostly sure they are talking about cancelling NVH (unwanted). The rub here, though, is that by eliminating NVH you typically deaden other more "wanted" noises. Of course that's rather subjective... I mean have you heard an EcoBoost Mustang at WOT? It's terrible.

• Funny
Reactions: hoang51
I know this will probably not relate to many of you, but for the true gear heads like me, won't you miss the sound of an engine and exhaust? I know 99% of the time, you really don't want to be hearing those sorts of sounds but that 1% of the time when you want to open it up and hear the engine hitting the limiter, the turbo waste gate fluttering. I wish that an EV had that drama just once in a while. I think without those sounds the car has no soul or character...

I don't mind missing not hearing the engine at wide open throttle, VTEC kicking in... I'd rather have that hearing sense be replaced by feeling the g-force kick in and feel it in the seats. That tsunami of instant torque... That's where the thrill is at. Time to replace the old experience with something new. :)

Plus, I can listen to my music with greater clarity.

Since this thread is showing tendencies to veer off unto the absurd, please indulge me...

Some would say that "soul" has something to do with living and life. Some have also likened the ICE as the "heart" of a living thing, which jibes somewhat nicely with the related concept of fire being a living thing. Old ICE car and motorcycle lovers (like myself) tend to see the entire operational noise as the machine's voice. For example, my old Moto Guzzi Griso motorcycle featured a 1,200 cc, DOHC V-twin mill that "sang" in a (to me) thrilling tenor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is what some posters have been referring to as "soul."

Our beloved Teslas, however, are entirely different. My very limited time in a Model S impressed me immensely, but one impression that I did NOT get was of being in a living creature. A sleek and tiny spaceship, maybe, but certainly not a prancing Cavallino (Ferrari) or raging bull (Lamborghini). To the owners: do you anthropomorphize your Teslas? Or do you simply see them as fantastic, but soulless, machines?