Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No sound, no soul?

Will you miss the sound of an engine and exhaust.

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many of you I have reserved a TM3.I know this will probably not relate to many of you, but for the true gear heads like me, won't you miss the sound of an engine and exhaust? I know 99% of the time, you really don't want to be hearing those sorts of sounds but that 1% of the time when you want to open it up and hear the engine hitting the limiter, the turbo waste gate fluttering. I wish that an EV had that drama just once in a while. I think without those sounds the car has no soul or character. Maybe eventually you will get a in car app which will play those sounds through the speakers, not the same I know

My first post here, in 2009 shortly before my car arrived, wondered if I would miss the sounds too. In fact I also mentioned the possibility of artificial sounds as an option.

After more than 6 years, I can definitely say that I in no way miss the sounds. I find loud cars really annoying now. That's hard for an enthusiast to believe, because the sounds are so awesome. But if you think about it...noise is not a good thing by itself. The reason we like it is simply because we have associated the sound with power. If you drive an EV for a while, the associations will change. As xmetal noted, there are still noises, and you will come to love them. (Oh, how I love the subtle pod-racer sound my Roadster makes!)

I would guess the transition usually takes around 4-6 weeks - if you go full BEV. If you alternate driving an ICE, the noise association may never fully go away, though it won't be as strong.

For me, silence is golden. I love having conversations without raising my voice over the engine noise. I love the smooth continuous transmission that leaves the manual shift cars behind with every shift they make. I love hearing , OMG, HOLY SHIMPT, LAUGHTER, GIGGLES, ETC each and every time I push the accelerator pedal. I love to drive, however, I even love turning on auto-steer on straight boring sections of road and gladly let the car take the strain off my arms and shoulders. It's the first physical object I can Say I Love.

Reactions: AustinPowers
I too thought EVs would not really have a "soul" and simply feel like driving a boring appliance but as soon as I drove a Model S, I was happy to be proven wrong. I have alternatives for engine sounds via other vehicles. For me the silence (or electric motor "whirring") is just part of the experience of this type of car. I would have no interest in artificial sounds for a car like this.

Reactions: Lunarx
I've had various sound environments all the way from driving an open-pipe Harley to the Nissan Leaf (which I had for 3 years/ MS on order). The quiet is definitely preferable; although, before a launch, maybe "Highway to the Danger Zone" from the opening of Top Gun would be fun.

I think I agree with both sides here. One hand is I love the sound of my engine roaring, but as was pointed out, it may be because I associate that noise with power and acceleration. On the other hand, there are plenty of other cars that have the same power and acceleration that my car but don't make such a glorious noise.
Then again, I've never driven a BEV....