Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Spare Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The idea suggested earlier of slinging a space saver up under the rear parcel shelf seems reasonably practical. Usually the issue I find with boot capacity is the boot floor space, rather than the height. A slim, neatly bagged, spare slung up tight under the parcel shelf probably wouldn't intrude too much into the usable space, nor would it need to be moved around when loading and unloading. Might even be able to get it out if needed without unloading the boot first, although finding a home for the wheel that's been taken off might be a challenge.

Reactions: Empato
What is actually the reason for manufacturers no longer providing a spare wheel, even a space saver? Cost cutting? Saving space? No one knows how to change a wheel anymore? A spare wheel was something you took for granted until relatively recently.

I often drive in remote places, and after recently experiencing a blow out in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal I’ve decided a spare wheel is essential. Has anyone had any experience with Road Hero or any other make?

The reason that I was given when I bought my first car without a spare (Skoda Octavia) was to save weight. Nevertheless I got the garage to add one to the purchase, for peace of mind. Never did need it, although that was lucky. I had 3 punctures in the preceding 6 years.

The idea suggested earlier of slinging a space saver up under the rear parcel shelf seems reasonably practical. Usually the issue I find with boot capacity is the boot floor space, rather than the height. A slim, neatly bagged, spare slung up tight under the parcel shelf probably wouldn't intrude too much into the usable space, nor would it need to be moved around when loading and unloading. Might even be able to get it out if needed without unloading the boot first, although finding a home for the wheel that's been taken off might be a challenge.
I'm not sure what the burst pressure is on the rear seats but I'd be weary of having such a mass high up during a head on collision.

Currently speaking with Bristol parts about procuring a full size spare 18” wheel/tyre

And damn you lot for suggesting loads of tyre related accessories, I spotted Makita make an 18V LXT battery-power compressor and I have the Mikita system so that’s £69 I’m not getting back - although it will also make home tyre pumping a lot easier than messing around with foot pump on a stone driveway.

I was convinced my £8 pressure gauge was good enough. Damn you all ! :)

The idea suggested earlier of slinging a space saver up under the rear parcel shelf seems reasonably practical. Usually the issue I find with boot capacity is the boot floor space, rather than the height.

I have an equivalent to the Road Hero though a different brand. I don't normally carry it around with me but we've been away for a few days and I thought I should take it. It's in a zipper bag and lies on the floor of the boot. I'm not sure that there would be a benefit attaching it under the parcel shelf. It's as easy to put things on top of it as to slide things underneath it. In fact because of the angle of the back seats you couldn't push it as far back if it were at the top rather than at the bottom ... so that would reduce the height of items you could put in the first section of the boot more than when it lies on the floor. It does make you realise how enormous modern wheels/tyres really are ... even in space saver format! I can't really see how you could magic more space into existence to routinely carry a spare on board. It's certainly true that you cannot carry the space saver without a significant curtailment of luggage space. With 2 people travelling fairly light it's no problem but it would be a different story for a family.

I have an equivalent to the Road Hero though a different brand. I don't normally carry it around with me but we've been away for a few days and I thought I should take it. It's in a zipper bag and lies on the floor of the boot. I'm not sure that there would be a benefit attaching it under the parcel shelf. It's as easy to put things on top of it as to slide things underneath it. In fact because of the angle of the back seats you couldn't push it as far back if it were at the top rather than at the bottom ... so that would reduce the height of items you could put in the first section of the boot more than when it lies on the floor. It does make you realise how enormous modern wheels/tyres really are ... even in space saver format! I can't really see how you could magic more space into existence to routinely carry a spare on board. It's certainly true that you cannot carry the space saver without a significant curtailment of luggage space. With 2 people travelling fairly light it's no problem but it would be a different story for a family.

What brand have you got and where did you get it from?

Anyone got any hands on experience of using the type of jack supplied with many of these kits on Model 3? From limited view of images, they don't look a good match for the jacking point with or without jack pads.

I have a scissor jack that I bought but wouldn't really want to use it in anger. Im probably going to have to find an alternative saddle for it to use with jack pads.