Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No tech - no way (manual or automatic) to dim the rear view mirror?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In all my old cars I've usually had a small fold tap to pull/push manually to dim the rear view mirror (the one inside the car and above the center console).
I know the model s dosent come with auto dimming unless you get the tech package, I was fine with that. But I did expect a manual function to dim the mirror.

What gives? anyone else out there non-tech that has noticed this?

Manually dimmable rear view mirror comes standard on just about all other brands I know of, it seems with the model S you either get the tech for auto dimming or nothing?

Am I missing something?

mine surely does NOT feel like it's auto dimming, during these dark cold winter days I have several times felt the need to lower my head to get the light beams reflected from the mirror off my eyesight.

Interesting. If you look at the back of the mirror (the part facing forward) there will be a small opening for the forward ambient light sensor IF the mirror is auto-dimming. That would be one way to tell.

yup I have the sensor, which made me think it has the auto-dimming feature. Maybe mine is just coincidently faulty?

I can see the ring quite clearly in mine, but it stopped dimming some time ago (it gradually got worse until dimming was zero). The hatch sunscreen works well to dim the rearview mirror, but I have to put my hand up to block the driver's wing mirror. The SC didn't seem particularly interested when I mentioned it, but I haven't pressed the issue either.

How can a service center not seem interested in a defect that you've brought to their attention? I'm curious about how that happens. When I give my service center a list of concerns, they address all to my satisfaction. That is their primary job function.
Right. Seems odd. I've given my SC a list of things to look at, and they go through every item. Even if they don't address something, the provide some justification (considered normal, within tolerance, etc.). I can think of no justification for ignoring a completely malfunctioning component. Sounds like a communication issue where your concern didn't make it onto the car's "to-do list" while it was in for service. Not that this excuses it, of course. I always verify everything I want looked at made it onto the visit's paperwork (my SC emails the document after I drop the car off).

I've read quite a few reports of the auto dimming gradually getting less and less effective as usage goes on.
It's a common failure for the technology. It's essentially electrifying a thin conductive layer of gel that darkens when current is flowing through it. The gel degrades chemically over time, reducing its efficiency. Certainly it shouldn't be failing in a car that's, at most, 2 years old, though.

How can a service center not seem interested in a defect that you've brought to their attention? I'm curious about how that happens. When I give my service center a list of concerns, they address all to my satisfaction. That is their primary job function.

My experience has been that they do things you specifically ask, plus they do things that Tesla says are due for your particular car or that they find during one of the test drives. I didn't do a specific request to look at it, just mentioned that they no longer worked as well as when they were new (at the time they hadn't gone out completely). At the Dallas SC, they are short staffed, totally overworked, and are in a way too small facility. So I consider this more my fault than theirs.

I've only had my girl for 3 months (today, as a matter of fact) and I have already noticed that the interior mirror does not dim as much as when new and dims much slower than the side mirrors. At first, it got way too dark-couldn't see a thing. Now it barely dims at all. I thought it might just be me, but I think a visit to the SC is in order.

I've read quite a few reports of the auto dimming gradually getting less and less effective as usage goes on.

Interesting. I have an Auto Dimming mirror that I removed from my 1994 Eagle Vision TSi before I sold it to re-install in another car I have that didn't have the feature. It still works like new. Both of the interior and exterior mirrors on my almost 2 year old Model S are also working just fine.

I think that Tesla Service would be all over getting broken ones fixed. Isn't having some sort of dimming capability on the mirror, either a manual flip switch or electronic some sort of compulsory safety feature? I don't think I've seen a car in the last 30 years that doesn't have the feature.

I can confirm as a non-tech owner, the rear-view mirror is NOT auto-dimming. There is a "flip" tab that allows you to flip it up or down to a dimming/reflective view. My VIN is 42XXX.

well, mine does not have a flip tab, perhaps they've made Auto dim standard with the "Sensor upgrade", my car is a bit newer than yours, VIN 51XXX (post sensor upgrade oct 14)

However, it dosent seem to dim auto either :/

well, mine does not have a flip tab, perhaps they've made Auto dim standard with the "Sensor upgrade", my car is a bit newer than yours, VIN 51XXX (post sensor upgrade oct 14)

However, it dosent seem to dim auto either :/

Clearly it should do one or the other. Sounds like its either malfunctioning or a mistake was made. Either way, time to involve Tesla.