Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No tech - no way (manual or automatic) to dim the rear view mirror?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
slightly off-topic, but does anyone else find the auto-dimming mirrors to be too dark? had the MS for one week, and i'm noticing that while at night it is much nicer to have the headlights not glaring into my eyes, it's also harder to identify non- light sources. hypothetically, someone could have a hard time trying to identify certain types of official cars in their rearview. hypothetically.

I'l be contacting Tesla about this now, it's weird seeing so many with different ranges of VIN and non-tech having and not having auto-dimmable rear view mirror.

Thanks for all the replies, I'l post what they say.

slightly off-topic, but does anyone else find the auto-dimming mirrors to be too dark? had the MS for one week, and i'm noticing that while at night it is much nicer to have the headlights not glaring into my eyes, it's also harder to identify non- light sources. hypothetically, someone could have a hard time trying to identify certain types of official cars in their rearview. hypothetically.

There's a thread on this, but I like them when new as they really cut out the glare. after 21 months, they have faded to practically no dimming.

slightly off-topic, but does anyone else find the auto-dimming mirrors to be too dark?

Nope. I like it, but my wife finds any dimming mirror (manual or automatic) to be too dark and never uses them. This is a problem with the Model S because as far as I can tell, there is no way to turn the auto dimming off. On my past cars, there was a switch on the mirror that would disable the auto dimming feature.

- - - Updated - - -

after 21 months, they have faded to practically no dimming.

Mine (both inside and outside) are still quite dark. Could the Texas heat have anything to do with that?

I would think the non-tech early VINs having the auto-dimming mirrors is similar to my having chrome inserts in my frunk but not in my trunk. Or nappa leather on my door armrest. They simply hadn't made the change on the production line to different parts yet.

As for the OP, it's really odd that A) you got the auto-dimming without the tech package and B) that it doesn't work. It could be defective but more likely is that the harness was never routed to the mirror. It requires power to operate. Definitely have the service center look at it.

it's also harder to identify non- light sources. hypothetically, someone could have a hard time trying to identify certain types of official cars in their rearview. hypothetically.
If you have any need to identify those official cars they will become a light source pretty quickly...

I could actually rant about that a fair amount as someone who drives one type of official vehicle, If the red lights aren't flashing, you don't need to treat me any different from any other car. You wouldn't believe how often someone acts weird because an ambulance is behind them even though the lights and siren are off. (of course that's still far better than those who don't get out of the way when the lights ARE going...)

True, but sometimes it's hard to tell what flavor of official vehicle it is. An ambulance is pretty obvious but fire marshals, park police, train cops, and so on can look similar to a county or state policeman. The latter would be happy to give me a speeding ticket if I drove "normally" with them behind me.

and it's not just official vehicles. the dimming is dark enough that often at night, all that can be made out clearly is the lights themselves. sometimes vehicle outlines aren't discernible. saw another post about blocking the dimming sensors on the mirror housing, which may be helpful.