Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nobody mentions that the acceleration boost is too much power for the stock suspension of the non-performance model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first bought the AB on my model 3 I too thought they need the chill, standard, and sport. I came to the conclusion after driving it for a while that the standard setting just wasn't needed, because it was so tame, until you put your foot into it. so long as you weren't mashing the throttle the car really drove as if it were in standard mode. AB is a nice bonus, I think you'll be pleased you got it.
Maybe we can call it Wife mode? Or Spouse mode. 🤣

Seriously though, my wife isn't that keen on the harsh acceleration (I love it). I could see where a setting between Chill and Sport would be useful for non-enthusiast drivers (and maybe for kids). So many opportunities.

I bought the acceleration boost last night and I am driving it today.

I've seen so many videos about it and I decided that it was something that I wanted.

However as soon as I drove it for the first time, it is quite clear that the factory suspension of the non-performance model y isn't stiff enough to handle the extra torque.

When you slam on the accelerator, the entire vehicle sways backwards like a boat.

You have the exact same shocks I do, you just have longer springs... So, your car has more suspension travel before it hits the rear bump stops than mine, I would not call that a flaw, it is a feature.

Keith

I've always wanted this. I don't know why it's so difficult to implement. Let's start a petition like they did for "Ice/Snow Regen Mode". ;)

I think it is because your right foot is the mode controller between standard and sport... if you don't slam your foot down you are in standard mode... if you do slam your foot down you are in sport mode :)

Keith

Reactions: tangible1

I've seen so many videos about it and I decided that it was something that I wanted.

However as soon as I drove it for the first time, it is quite clear that the factory suspension of the non-performance model y isn't stiff enough to handle the extra torque.

When you slam on the accelerator, the entire vehicle sways backwards like a boat.
Look, if you are planning to race the car you should've purchased S Plaid. If too expensive then MYP or M3P.
MYLR is a well balanced car. If you don't like it then place an order for MYP and have fun. It's also a good time to sell your MYLR.

I have a MYP.

When I mat the accelerator, it sways back. So if you want something that doesn’t, you’ll need to upgrade. MPP coil over system could do it.

Look, if you are planning to race the car you should've purchased S Plaid. If too expensive then MYP or M3P.
MYLR is a well balanced car. If you don't like it then place an order for MYP and have fun. It's also a good time to sell your MYLR.

Or you can just get the springs from a MYP owner who has upgraded to a replacement suspension... they should be available for cheap. Be aware that MYP owners get ride of them for a reason :)

Keith

Reactions: JonB65
I returned the acceleration boost to see just what it's like withou it. And my observations are basically that the factory LR AWD is already extremely fast and has a very refined acceleration feel.

Adding the acceleration boost, although it makes it faster, you lose the refined feel of the acceleration. When you're booking it in sport mode. It feels a little jittery, it's a lot more power.

If there were 3 settings, chill, standard and sport. I may be more compelled to keep it because then i could drive the standard power band for day to day and switch on sport for special occasions.

• Helpful
Reactions: MY-user
I returned the acceleration boost to see just what it's like withou it. And my observations are basically that the factory LR AWD is already extremely fast and has a very refined acceleration feel.

Adding the acceleration boost, although it makes it faster, you lose the refined feel of the acceleration. When you're booking it in sport mode. It feels a little jittery, it's a lot more power.

If there were 3 settings, chill, standard and sport. I may be more compelled to keep it because then i could drive the standard power band for day to day and switch on sport for special occasions.
That is not my experience at all. I found that the level of refinement in the acceleration was exactly the same before and after the acceleration boost. There was simply just more speed/power available on the top end of the throttle position with acceleration boost.

Teslas might have a relatively low center of gravity but a Y is definite going to have a higher cg than a 911. Given that, greater squat is pretty much to be expected. Physics is a cruel mistress.
Physics is indeed a universal constraint.

However, I'm guessing (didn't do the math) but the numbers suggest CG isn't too much different between the two.
Porsche 911's on average have about 4.3" ground clearance, weigh about 3500lbs these days (500-700lbs more than the good old days)
MYLR has 6.6" clearance and weighs 4416lbs, most of which is down low.

The big factor after engine torque values is suspension - Porsche has had 60 years to work on it. Tesla engineers are young.
Torque is king; suspension and tire contact patch size deliver it.

Last edited:
Physics is indeed a universal constraint.

However, I'm guessing (didn't do the math) but the numbers suggest CG isn't too much different between the two.
Porsche 911's on average have about 4.3" ground clearance, weigh about 3500lbs these days (500-700lbs more than the good old days)
MYLR has 6.6" clearance and weighs 4416lbs, most of which is down low.

The big factor is suspension - Porsche has had 60 years to work on it. Tesla engineers are young.
I think MY center of gravity is lower. Porsche is 20.7 and Y is about 17.
Regardless, it's not a fair comparison.

I think MY center of gravity is lower. Porsche is 20.7 and Y is about 17.
Regardless, it's not a fair comparison.
what constitutes fair?
The OP suggested MY was the higher of the two, and was probably incorrect. As I alluded.

The primary point of the thread is the MY body response to acceleration, and a comparison to a standard-of-the-industry sports car is a reasonable metric.
And no one was suggesting the MY had to be in that universe.

Of course, the MY is 60K and the 911 is 135K.
Is that your objection? Meh.
I think people know you get what you pay for.

what constitutes fair?
The OP suggested MY was the higher of the two, and was probably incorrect. As I alluded.

The primary point of the thread is the MY body response to acceleration, and a comparison to a standard-of-the-industry sports car is a reasonable metric.
And no one was suggesting the MY had to be in that universe.

Of course, the MY is 60K and the 911 is 135K.
Is that your objection? Meh.
I think people know you get what you pay for.
Yes, I was implying the cost difference.
Somehow people expect MY to be the fastest, safest, 7-seater hatchback, family car that is inexpensive to drive, while comparing performance with the cars that cost 2x- 3x more but has the cost of ownership similar to a high end Honda Accord.

Yes, I was implying the cost difference.
Somehow people expect MY to be the fastest, safest, 7-seater hatchback, family car that is inexpensive to drive, while comparing performance with the cars that cost 2x- 3x more but has the cost of ownership similar to a high end Honda Accord.
It's a blog !!!
and it's not unique to Tesla
what gets to me is the self-righteous climate acolytes

:eek:

This is one of the strangest complaints I've ever read, nuttiness...

rufklaus3um.jpg