Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nobody noticed the range bump?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 range increased by 10%....322 to 353, yet model Y range increased by only 3%......316 to 326. Model 3 range advantage is now 27 miles and previously only 6 miles. Model Y should have received the same center console and auto dimming side mirrors update as model 3. Hopefully the side mirrors could be swapped. I can't remember the last car I drove that didn't have such an important basic feature. No heated steering wheel mentioned on the Tesla site for the 3 or Y as someone else had speculated. I ordered a LR AWD MY MSM on 9/24, still no VIN, so I'll likely get a 2021.

Could it be weight savings from the new megacasting? same batteries?[/QUOTE
Could it be weight savings from the new megacasting? same batteries?

For the model 3, all around it got newer wheel designs which have less drag.
Panasonic has been supplying a more energy dense battery cell in the current size. Also uses less cobalt (we will see how this affects long term durability in 5-10years i guess).
Improvements in castings have reduced weight.
Center console change allowed for some internal climate parts redesign which are supposed to improve efficiency there while also cutting down on the musty smell people have in some cars.

In the land of the model Y it already had the better castings from day one and the wheels. So less of a gain just due to battery cell improvements.

People keep saying model 3 heatpump but at this point it isnt there. Within a week or 2 we will have more people pulling them open but the one from earlier in the week said it wasnt there.

Reactions: DanDi58
Model 3 range increased by 10%....322 to 353, yet model Y range increased by only 3%......316 to 326. Model 3 range advantage is now 27 miles and previously only 6 miles. Model Y should have received the same center console and auto dimming side mirrors update as model 3. Hopefully the side mirrors could be swapped. I can't remember the last car I drove that didn't have such an important basic feature. No heated steering wheel mentioned on the Tesla site for the 3 or Y as someone else had speculated. I ordered a LR AWD MY MSM on 9/24, still no VIN, so I'll likely get a 2021.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the mirrors showup but they didn’t update the site for it. The wheel has the internals on the back end. It’s just does the wheel itself have the elements in there and does it just need a software update to turn on like the heated charger port.
Model Y will always have the disadvantage of being much larger. It’s why a corvette can get better mpg on the highway than a medium sized crossover (4cyl turbo) in ice land.

Center console change allowed for some internal climate parts redesign which are supposed to improve efficiency there while also cutting down on the musty smell people have in some cars.
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, what's the reference for this?
Improvements in castings have reduced weight.
There only seems to be one casting machine in Fremont and Elon has been very public about it being for the Model Y. I dont think casting for the Model 3 has been implemented or I have seen no references to it... although it does seem inevitable that this will happen eventually

Heated Steering Wheel on the 3 is mentioned here
Tesla officially launches Model 3 2021 refresh with more range and features - Electrek

That was one feature I really wanted in an EV. All three of my Volt's had it going back to 2012 and it allowed me to use nothing but the seat/wheel heaters on many fall, mild winter and spring days without using the resistance heaters thus saving the battery for more range.
Don't think it's heated. It's not listed in the new specifications through Tesla

Yea that Electrek article is the only one that mentions "Metallic finish" and heated steering wheel. Looking for confirmation on that but there were many rumors about new steering wheel and it could be possible that the changes are subtle.

so any 2021 VIN for model Y should have the new range of an additional 10 miles of range. Nice. Probably going to see the interior refresh for Y mid year. But, you need to just purchase and not worry what's coming next. It's nice that they listen to the owners and change things in their cars (like the matte finish on console of Model 3).

Yea that Electrek article is the only one that mentions "Metallic finish" and heated steering wheel. Looking for confirmation on that but there were many rumors about new steering wheel and it could be possible that the changes are subtle.
No. It says "which is now apparently heated". There's no confirmation it was. It shares the same steering wheel part number as 2020 Model 3.

Reactions: Clark_Kent
No. It says "which is now apparently heated". There's no confirmation it was. It shares the same steering wheel part number as 2020 Model 3.
The wheel is different now than it was in 2020. No more seams. So they did some type of redesign. Maybe it’s a PN revision since a heated wheel works fine on a older car just without heat?

Anything extra would be nice. I’m not of the omg heated steering whee group.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, what's the reference for this?

There only seems to be one casting machine in Fremont and Elon has been very public about it being for the Model Y. I dont think casting for the Model 3 has been implemented or I have seen no references to it... although it does seem inevitable that this will happen eventually

For the reference, i couldnt tell you. When im at work i listen to alot of stuff that cycles thru after a start video but they had info and showed some proof.

As far as the casting I cant say if its one piece, 2 piece, or how many. But it was simplified by quite a bit and it may have been a mid year change on the model 3. Unsure if the EPA ratings would have been changed mid year.

Just saw this on Facebook. If its real, the range increase is software.

Attachments

• CA712071-3AC5-4F79-8D6F-FA39B3A34C63.jpeg
    CA712071-3AC5-4F79-8D6F-FA39B3A34C63.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 73