Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noisy Model S wipers since new?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joninmelbourne

Solid Black S60 new face
Jun 29, 2016
Melbourne
My 2016 late Model S has had noisy wipers since day one. They squeak and vibrate when it is raining even heavily. Happens when windscreen is very clean or very dirty - the bottom of the drivers side wiper vibrates when it moves. Is this just a problem with mine or everybodies? Cheers

My wipers are very noisy too - squeaking as they move over the glass. They came on the other day during light showers and the kids asked what the noise was. I was wondering whether the rubber might have dried out because I haven't had the car out in the rain very much?

My wiper motors are noisy and, yeah, the bottom half of the driver's side wiper blade shakes when moving across the glass on mine as well. Now that you mention it, I should probably have the service center take a look at it the next time I'm in.

Service centers are ware and will replace it. They apparently switched out the vendor . Initially the told me they will change it during my 1 yr srvc , I asked nicely and he did it on the same day.

do you know when this was?

My 12/2015 wasn't too bad only chattered sometimes,
Then they changed the wiper blades at the last service and now they both chatter all the time. Annoying.
In antything other than heavy rain I now have to switch them off auto and jab the button on the end of the stalk occasionally.

Perhaps this is to make the AP2 guys feel better?

do you know when this was?

My 12/2015 wasn't too bad only chattered sometimes,
Then they changed the wiper blades at the last service and now they both chatter all the time. Annoying.
In antything other than heavy rain I now have to switch them off auto and jab the button on the end of the stalk occasionally.

Perhaps this is to make the AP2 guys feel better?

I got mine changed mid dec 2016

Wiper "scrubbing" is possibly the issue. Take your normal windscreen cleaner and clean the screen thoroughly. Then, clean the wiper blade with the window cleaner. This will leave black residue on the cloth so use a disposable cloth (e.g. Chux). If this does not resolve the problem, get some Autoglym Glass Polish (not cleaner, POLISH) and polish the windscreen thoroughly, paying particular attention to the lower part where the scrubbing is happening. If none of these measures works, then you may have an issue with the wiper blade or mechanism. Tesla wiper blades are a Bosch part (aerotwin) models, readily available on eBay and elsewhere.

There has been heaps of discussion about this on the US forums.
Mine chattered almost all the time, almost stuttering as they swept across the windscreen. The most success people had in solving the problem was swapping out the blades for new Bosch ICON blades (28OE and 18OE).
So I purchased some from Amazon, swapped them out, and now they work perfectly. They are not cheap, but worth it in my opinion.
Amazon.com: Bosch 28OE ICON Wiper Blade - 28" (Pack of 1): Automotive
Amazon.com: Bosch 18OE ICON Wiper Blade - 18" (Pack of 1): Automotive
Cheers, Marty.

My car was in for its first 12-monthly service yesterday and I reported the squeaky wipers. They told me they have Bosch wiper blades which are allegedly better (i.e. quieter) than the factory ones and they switched them over at no cost. I haven't tested them yet. So maybe the tip is just to ask at the SC?

Those Tesla engineers had this one covered early on, they designed the music volume to go up to 11, so when your driving along with Spinal Tap cranked up to 10, then the wipers start playing up you just turn the volume up to 11, problem solved, pure genius!

Last edited: