TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Noisy Model S wipers since new?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by joninmelbourne, Mar 17, 2017.

1. joninmelbourne

joninmelbourne Solid Black S60 new face

My 2016 late Model S has had noisy wipers since day one. They squeak and vibrate when it is raining even heavily. Happens when windscreen is very clean or very dirty - the bottom of the drivers side wiper vibrates when it moves. Is this just a problem with mine or everybodies? Cheers

2. jeraldinho

jeraldinho Member

Same issue here with same late 2016 model S. Have only had one day of rain so don't know if its a temporary or permanent phenomenon.

3. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

We had Tesla work on our wipers twice, and finally, they are now silent.
    Before they would thunk at the bottom of the down-stroke.

As my sig states, we have an early 2013 S...

4. Homer

Homer Member

My wipers are very noisy too - squeaking as they move over the glass. They came on the other day during light showers and the kids asked what the noise was. I was wondering whether the rubber might have dried out because I haven't had the car out in the rain very much?

5. Petra

Petra Member

My wiper motors are noisy and, yeah, the bottom half of the driver's side wiper blade shakes when moving across the glass on mine as well. Now that you mention it, I should probably have the service center take a look at it the next time I'm in.

6. WA-T3sla

WA-T3sla Member

They are dodgier than the wipers on my old 1971 Datsun.

7. DJ 240V

DJ 240V Member

Service centers are ware and will replace it. They apparently switched out the vendor . Initially the told me they will change it during my 1 yr srvc , I asked nicely and he did it on the same day.

8. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

do you know when this was?

My 12/2015 wasn't too bad only chattered sometimes,
    Then they changed the wiper blades at the last service and now they both chatter all the time. Annoying.
    In antything other than heavy rain I now have to switch them off auto and jab the button on the end of the stalk occasionally.

Perhaps this is to make the AP2 guys feel better?

9. DJ 240V

DJ 240V Member

I got mine changed mid dec 2016

10. Socalcommuter

Socalcommuter Member

My model X has squeaky wipers as well :(

11. garyjac

garyjac Member

Wiper "scrubbing" is possibly the issue. Take your normal windscreen cleaner and clean the screen thoroughly. Then, clean the wiper blade with the window cleaner. This will leave black residue on the cloth so use a disposable cloth (e.g. Chux). If this does not resolve the problem, get some Autoglym Glass Polish (not cleaner, POLISH) and polish the windscreen thoroughly, paying particular attention to the lower part where the scrubbing is happening. If none of these measures works, then you may have an issue with the wiper blade or mechanism. Tesla wiper blades are a Bosch part (aerotwin) models, readily available on eBay and elsewhere.

12. MMinehan

MMinehan Member

There has been heaps of discussion about this on the US forums.
    Mine chattered almost all the time, almost stuttering as they swept across the windscreen. The most success people had in solving the problem was swapping out the blades for new Bosch ICON blades (28OE and 18OE).
    So I purchased some from Amazon, swapped them out, and now they work perfectly. They are not cheap, but worth it in my opinion.
    Amazon.com: Bosch 28OE ICON Wiper Blade - 28" (Pack of 1): Automotive
    Amazon.com: Bosch 18OE ICON Wiper Blade - 18" (Pack of 1): Automotive
    Cheers, Marty.

13. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

^ excellent advice ... if only they were available in the uk!

14. joninmelbourne

joninmelbourne Solid Black S60 new face

Thanks everyone, going to try the glass polish and if that doesn't work, order the wipers from Amazon. Will report back what works!

15. Homer

Homer Member

My car was in for its first 12-monthly service yesterday and I reported the squeaky wipers. They told me they have Bosch wiper blades which are allegedly better (i.e. quieter) than the factory ones and they switched them over at no cost. I haven't tested them yet. So maybe the tip is just to ask at the SC?

16. garyjac

garyjac Member

Wiper blades are actually part of the 12 month service routine, I believe.

17. Homer

Homer Member

I think you're right but, for the avoidance of doubt, I am suggesting that if you have noisy wipers just ask the SC to replace them instead of waiting for your 12-month service.

18. garyjac

garyjac Member

Indeed, why not ? I've heard that the wipers are Bosch branded but made specifically for Tesla. You'd think Tesla would pay to have their name on their own wipers though.

19. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

#19 Blue heaven, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Those Tesla engineers had this one covered early on, they designed the music volume to go up to 11, so when your driving along with Spinal Tap cranked up to 10, then the wipers start playing up you just turn the volume up to 11, problem solved, pure genius!

20. Campos

Campos New Member

my brand new model S made this noise at first but after 1 month it's not making it any more