Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-chill acceleration mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does limit total power apparently. Tweaking the curve (but also keeping max power availability) sounds interesting but I think you risk ending up with a nice gradual phase of throttle initially but then the power band is compressed into a smaller range further up the range so may make the transition to full power more sudden so less predictable... just my thoughts.

Yes, that's why it's a personal preference.

It's always unpredictable until you learn to predict it, hence it would definitely need to be a custom option.

In terms of efficiency: Am I right in thinking that simply having the car not in chill mode and using the accelerator gently, it won't necessarily be less efficient? Presumably it's less efficient if I suddenly want it to go a lot faster (like with a regular car) in any case?
Chill mode improves efficiency with Autopilot on. Autopilot adjusts speed more gradually.

A conscientious driver could probably achieve equivalent efficiency with careful driving in standard or sport mode. I haven’t been able to, though.

Tapping my degree in Engineering-Economics, it’s a trade-off between energy cost and hedonic return. If I’m stretching to reach the next Supercharger, then I will sacrifice pleasure for range. Climate control off, or close to it; chill mode acceleration; moderate speed...

If the road is empty, then I allow the car to express its capability. Sport mode, vanishing point acceleration, brisk curves... Burning electrons for the thrill of it.

I had eco mode in my Ioniq. Apart from stifling it a bit, it didn’t really alter economy.
I’ve used chill mode in the M3. It just turns it into the Ioniq.
My wife always turns chill off if I’ve left it on. :eek:

We've played with both since we had the car yesterday, we prefer chill mode because it's more forgiving with pedal fluctuations and makes for a smoother ride. We found standard makes us feel a bit sick as any pedal movement either accelerates or starts regen breaking instantly and so it's a rougher ride.

Chill mode isn't exactly slow if you floor it though, and if we want to have a bit of fun we can always move to standard :)

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
In my experience, it will take you only a couple of days to adjust, if you leave it in normal mode.

Each to their own of course, but one pedal driving, with full acceleration and deceleration control (mostly) from one pedal is different, and quickly becomes second nature.

We've played with both since we had the car yesterday, we prefer chill mode because it's more forgiving with pedal fluctuations and makes for a smoother ride. We found standard makes us feel a bit sick as any pedal movement either accelerates or starts regen breaking instantly and so it's a rougher ride.

Yes, it's a new skill ... in driving "normal" cars we are not used to having any sensitivity when lifting off the pedal ... you very quickly adapt you're style and drive very smoothly in standard. Using chill is ok of course but it will delay acquiring that light touch that you need.

Since this has been bumped, thought I'd add that I've not put the car back into chill mode since taking it out of it.

The extra kick is great if you need it to get going quickly from stopped/slow, though I have sometimes given my passenger(s) a bit of a jolt. Could be because I do most of my driving alone so I like to have a little fun with the acceleration where safe to do so.

Need some kind of steering wheel button mapping for a quick toggle between Chill and Standard/Sport modes. Explosive acceleration when I need it (even if it's only 1% of the time) is one of the main reasons for buying a Tesla. Being in Chill mode and not being able to switch out of it, except through the clunky menu, is worse than being in Standard/Sport mode and having to learn to smoothly modulate the accelerator.

The pedal kick down from Chill to Standard/Sport would also be a good idea.