Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-chill acceleration mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On collecting my Model 3 at the start of the month, one of the first things I did before leaving was to set the acceleration to "chill" mode.

Having become more familiar with the car, a few days ago I took it out of chill mode on one of my regular routes.

The first thing I noticed is that pulling away seems a lot less smooth (even being gentle with the pedal, there's a noticeable jolt as the car starts to move). The second thing was that just how sensitive this made the accelerator pedal - very slight variations in pressure would gain or lose 1mph.

Accelerating after leaving a 30mph zone and entering a 60mph zone felt like a rollercoaster drop - and that's just with gradually pushing the pedal down (not really wanting to try flooring it!)

I can understand why people opt to leave chill mode enabled though and I'll probably go back to it (for efficiency as well as comfort.) It's very fun and probably useful for overtaking or if you've turned onto a main road and need to get up to speed quickly, but for driving around town there's not really an appropriate use for it.

Definitely nice to have both options though :D

On collecting my Model 3 at the start of the month, one of the first things I did before leaving was to set the acceleration to "chill" mode.

Having become more familiar with the car, a few days ago I took it out of chill mode on one of my regular routes.

The first thing I noticed is that pulling away seems a lot less smooth (even being gentle with the pedal, there's a noticeable jolt as the car starts to move). The second thing was that just how sensitive this made the accelerator pedal - very slight variations in pressure would gain or lose 1mph.

Accelerating after leaving a 30mph zone and entering a 60mph zone felt like a rollercoaster drop - and that's just with gradually pushing the pedal down (not really wanting to try flooring it!)

I can understand why people opt to leave chill mode enabled though and I'll probably go back to it (for efficiency as well as comfort.) It's very fun and probably useful for overtaking or if you've turned onto a main road and need to get up to speed quickly, but for driving around town there's not really an appropriate use for it.

Definitely nice to have both options though :D
It may just be what you are used to. I have only used my M3 in chill for about 2 minutes and after being in standard mode it felt broken. I think if you keep it in standard mode you will very quickly get used to it and then Chill will feel neutered. The only time I struggle with the throttle is reversing where I would like it to be a lot more chilled by default.

What previous experience do you have with fast cars ? You might not think it now but you learn to adapt to sensitive throttles so leaving it in sport mode you can drive smoothly around town and the like .

No previous experience with fast cars at all, which probably explains my reaction and initial impressions!

I've left it out of chill mode since, to get more used to it. There's a fair bit of stop-start traffic in town on the way back from work, and traffic lights, all of which which gives a fair amount of opportunity to practice gently accelerating from a stop (been fine so far) and also to get used to the new "hold" braking mode.

@Jason71 - I agree about reversing. Chill mode is perfect for what I need when reversing.

In terms of efficiency: Am I right in thinking that simply having the car not in chill mode and using the accelerator gently, it won't necessarily be less efficient? Presumably it's less efficient if I suddenly want it to go a lot faster (like with a regular car) in any case?

I've not tried chill mode yet. Coming from a little BMW i3 the M3 feels really smooth in standard mode. Not sure I'd want it slugged down more, TBH, but might give chill mode a try. My guess is that chill mode may make it feel as dead as my old Prius, though...

• Disagree
Reactions: Yachtsman
In terms of efficiency: Am I right in thinking that simply having the car not in chill mode and using the accelerator gently, it won't necessarily be less efficient? Presumably it's less efficient if I suddenly want it to go a lot faster (like with a regular car) in any case?

The only difference in efficiency, as you say, is if you end up going faster. There is no automatic efficiency advantage of being in chill mode.

For me its the other way around, I put it in standard when i collected it 4 months ago and only recently tried chill mode, I found it strange when coming off of acceleration for some reason it didnt feel as fast to react to the fact id left off the throttle and i didnt like not having the same sort of get up and go for getting out of junctions or overtaking.

I did see a youtube video of someone that had their model 3 on the dyno trying a few different settings, chill mode appears to limit the long range and performance model 3 to around 200BHP with same acceleration for both models.

For me its the other way around, I put it in standard when i collected it 4 months ago and only recently tried chill mode, I found it strange when coming off of acceleration for some reason it didnt feel as fast to react to the fact id left off the throttle and i didnt like not having the same sort of get up and go for getting out of junctions or overtaking.

I did see a youtube video of someone that had their model 3 on the dyno trying a few different settings, chill mode appears to limit the long range and performance model 3 to around 200BHP with same acceleration for both models.

If that is true then it would mean top speed would be something like 125mph. I’d like to see that video as , to my mind, chill mode should deaden throttle response but not, ultimately, affect power.

Chill mode is probably very useful if driving on snow or ice where you don’t want to put power down .

You need more practice, I tried chill for a short period and yes it is easier to drive smoother, but you can be very smooth in sport, I regularly have clients with open coffee, water etc and I don't want it spilling! Also once you have mastered the art of being smooth you will also have the same efficiency. Ultimately I am just as smooth and efficient in sport but I have the punch available, should I need it :) just persevere with it, you will reap the rewards of smoothness, efficiency and performance all at the same time!

You need more practice, I tried chill for a short period and yes it is easier to drive smoother, but you can be very smooth in sport, I regularly have clients with open coffee, water etc and I don't want it spilling! Also once you have mastered the art of being smooth you will also have the same efficiency. Ultimately I am just as smooth and efficient in sport but I have the punch available, should I need it :) just persevere with it, you will reap the rewards of smoothness, efficiency and performance all at the same time!

Agree with this although I think a "chill mode" in reverse would be nice - having 2 mm of play between stopped and reversing at what feels like 100 mph seems crazy! :)

Reactions: m3gt2
If that is true then it would mean top speed would be something like 125mph. I’d like to see that video as , to my mind, chill mode should deaden throttle response but not, ultimately, affect power.

Chill mode is probably very useful if driving on snow or ice where you don’t want to put power down .

Here's the video -

Its around 8:26 they are loading up the results of both cars run in chill mode but you might want to watch the whole thing.

I’ve been driving in standard mode since I’ve had the car (over 2 months) and only just tried chill mode for a short period this evening. I found it to be slow and sluggish - maybe I’ve gotten too used to the zippy standard mode and the drive is as smooth as a baby’s bottom.

Here's the video -

Its around 8:26 they are loading up the results of both cars run in chill mode but you might want to watch the whole thing.

Thanks. That is very interesting and explains why people find it so sluggish. I’m going to have to see what my car tops out on in chill mode as I suspect it will be significantly lower top speed than using sport mode. Talk about Jekyll and Hyde !