Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-EAP Cruise Control Controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was initially annoyed by having to reach those tiny plus and minus buttons on the screen while driving, but now with the wheel on the steering wheel I'm getting a "poor man's" TACC since I can easily adjust the speed in many MPH increments in one shot to follow the car ahead of me without touching the pedals :p

And in traffic with regen it's mostly a one pedal driving too which is great.

I was initially annoyed by having to reach those tiny plus and minus buttons on the screen while driving, but now with the wheel on the steering wheel I'm getting a "poor man's" TACC since I can easily adjust the speed in many MPH increments in one shot to follow the car ahead of me without touching the pedals :p

And in traffic with regen it's mostly a one pedal driving too which is great.
I enjoy 0 pedal driving in traffic. :D

Yes - I own a non-AP Model 3 and can double-confirm. Right scroll wheel up/down controls cruise speed, left/right does nothing.

It's still 1000x better than the cruise on my last vehicle, which was buried in one of the 427 buttons on the steering wheel just to turn it on so it COULD be engaged, followed by a different one of the 427 buttons (which had to be pressed in exactly the right area of the button) to actually engage it. Even after 5 years I could not do this by touch, and using the cruise control required several seconds with eyes off the road - only ever happened on VERY long trips. :rolleyes:

Yes - I own a non-AP Model 3 and can double-confirm. Right scroll wheel up/down controls cruise speed, left/right does nothing.

It's still 1000x better than the cruise on my last vehicle, which was buried in one of the 427 buttons on the steering wheel just to turn it on so it COULD be engaged, followed by a different one of the 427 buttons (which had to be pressed in exactly the right area of the button) to actually engage it. Even after 5 years I could not do this by touch, and using the cruise control required several seconds with eyes off the road - only ever happened on VERY long trips. :rolleyes:
That's why I found it really interesting how there was so much concern about the touchscreen replacing physical buttons. I noticed that with physical buttons I still mostly had to look for it and couldn't do it by feel.

The right scroll button does adjust the up/down speed that was set with a double down-stroke action of the right steering wheel stalk, and the screen still has those old +/- icons too, which still work. However, the non-TACC cruise control has no way of RESUMING a previously set speed, with either a single down-stroke of the lever or a respective icon on the screen. You have to bring the car all the way back up to speed again before setting the old speed by depressing twice the right stalk, as a new setting. In this respect, I find the non-EAP cruise control incomplete in its functionality.

Reactions: dlieu
The right scroll button does adjust the up/down speed that was set with a double down-stroke action of the right steering wheel stalk, and the screen still has those old +/- icons too, which still work. However, the non-TACC cruise control has no way of RESUMING a previously set speed, with either a single down-stroke of the lever or a respective icon on the screen. You have to bring the car all the way back up to speed again before setting the old speed by depressing twice the right stalk, as a new setting. In this respect, I find the non-EAP cruise control incomplete in its functionality.

True, but... it's a Tesla. It's not exactly difficult to get back to your desired speed. ;)

Also the standard cruise control (like TACC without autosteer on AP cars) only requires a single tap down on the stalk.

Is there any way to disable the cruise control besides pressing the brake?
The manual says to move the gear lever UP once. Do not hold it up as that will shift the car into neutral. Note that this is in the section of the manual that talks about TACC but I believe it works for regular cruise control. I've not tried this myself: I tap the brake pedal to disengage.

The manual says to move the gear lever UP once. Do not hold it up as that will shift the car into neutral. Note that this is in the section of the manual that talks about TACC but I believe it works for regular cruise control. I've not tried this myself: I tap the brake pedal to disengage.

Yes just lift the gear lever and it will disengage and start regen so keep feet near accelerator :p

I prefer it to braking since regen is usually enough to slow me down when I come up to a slower car.

True, but... it's a Tesla. It's not exactly difficult to get back to your desired speed. ;)
Also the standard cruise control (like TACC without autosteer on AP cars) only requires a single tap down on the stalk.

Yes, it's a Tesla, just like the one with TACC, where the previously set speed speed can be resumed by slightly pressing the accel. pedal. And, you're right the steering stalk needs just a single tap down, not two.