Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-owner config invites have begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya, it kinda sucks for those of us who waited in line for hours to see these online reservation holders receiving invites. But I'm sure there is a method to the madness. One theory I've read is that it's based on availability of delivery center openings. This may be one time when being in the bay area is a disadvantage.
Yes, this, despite early indications that being in the bay area would be THE advantage. I reserved in Sunnyvale around 1pm but still no invite. In happier news, my brother stood in line early down in the Irvine area, reserved by about 11am, and got his invite yesterday. I both congratulated him and got annoyed at him. But mostly congratulated him.

• Funny
Reactions: CaliBear1
Yes, this, despite early indications that being in the bay area would be THE advantage. I reserved in Sunnyvale around 1pm but still no invite. In happier news, my brother stood in line early down in the Irvine area, reserved by about 11am, and got his invite yesterday. I both congratulated him and got annoyed at him. But mostly congratulated him.

My brother who lives 5 miles away got his invite yesterday (he reserved an hour before me and in Palo Alto). I just got annoyed at him.

My brother who lives 5 miles away got his invite yesterday (he reserved an hour before me and in Palo Alto). I just got annoyed at him.

I was in Palo Alto probably 75th in line. Reserved around 30 minutes after they opened the doors (don't remember what time that was.) Got an invite in the first batch on 2/22. Seems like the combination of black and Fremont means a much longer wait. I configured 3/1 and still no VIN. There are more than 20 ahead of me on the spreadsheet with Black Aero who don't have a VIN yet. At this point I don't expect a car for another month. I think Fremont is booked until the end of the month and they start sending cars to delivery centers with more capacity and especially to the East Cost early in the month. I thought those of us close to the factory would get them right away but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Well, I haven't been invited to configure, so they don't yet know what color and options I will be requesting... I think your theory only applies to people that configured and are waiting for a VIN.

I don't have any good theories on why I haven't been invited to configure yet... From what I can tell, it should have happened by now.

Day 1 reservation holder here. I would be more than willing to hand over more money and make it non refundable to let Tesla know what color and wheels I want now, even if the delivery window would say something like “3-12 weeks.”

Just let me configure today.

Reactions: geometro
I was in Palo Alto probably 75th in line. Reserved around 30 minutes after they opened the doors (don't remember what time that was.) Got an invite in the first batch on 2/22. Seems like the combination of black and Fremont means a much longer wait. I configured 3/1 and still no VIN. There are more than 20 ahead of me on the spreadsheet with Black Aero who don't have a VIN yet. At this point I don't expect a car for another month. I think Fremont is booked until the end of the month and they start sending cars to delivery centers with more capacity and especially to the East Cost early in the month. I thought those of us close to the factory would get them right away but that doesn't seem to be happening.
Not sure if this would be good news for you or more frustrating, but a buddy of mine just this past Sunday took a pic of a transport truck on its way out to Hwy 5 (east on 580) with at least a few black 3's with aeros on board (and at least one white one).

This could be good for you, because it seems like an indication that some more black ones probably have been made recently. Or it could be frustrating, because those cars seem to be on their way outside of the bay area . . . . Still, it's a solid data point.

Not sure if this would be good news for you or more frustrating, but a buddy of mine just this past Sunday took a pic of a transport truck on its way out to Hwy 5 (east on 580) with at least a few black 3's with aeros on board (and at least one white one).

This could be good for you, because it seems like an indication that some more black ones probably have been made recently. Or it could be frustrating, because those cars seem to be on their way outside of the bay area . . . . Still, it's a solid data point.

Who knows what is good or bad news. I have given up hope that I will get a late VIN/delivery within this month. I am sure Fremont delivery center is full. They should start to send all cars East again. That is the bad news. However, why did they send tons of invites out unless they have a lot of cars coming out. That should be good news. One scenario is that they are having a quality issue with black OR they are priortiizing other colors due to the profit. They can't continue to hold up black and keep inviting and making the black list take too long though (you would hope!). I expect they ship to the East for the first 10 days and then provide some locally. If they do that I could still make the six week window. What pisses me off is seeing some configure and get their VIN right away with the same config.