Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norcal Bay Area Model 3 Tint/PPF Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read @Vines other post. Probably the work was done by the inexperienced new tint guy.
Moreover, now need to check for defective defrost line.. Nonetheless, Alex should have bring it to the client if he had noticed the damage.

I rejected 3 Model 3 already and waiting for the 4th car. All had different issues but my last reject is due to need complete repaint on two door panels. If Tesla cannot get their QC to act together, I may just get the refund and go back to leasing.

Yikes! 3 rejects ... what were the problems? Must've been really bad to reject 3!

Yikes! 3 rejects ... what were the problems? Must've been really bad to reject 3!

Combination of paint chips on bumpers and door panels, paint nibs and dust under clear coat, scratched center console and steering wheel, clear coat bubble drop on side mirror edge, bad door latch assembly.. etc. Main reason to reject if it’s confirmed by the DA that a panel needs to be repaint.

I was going to pick up my car this morning, but Alex asked me to come in the afternoon instead because he wanted to redo the trunk since he didn't like the way it turned out. I was going to be in Los Gatos anyways so I stopped by early to check in and was a little nervous after hearing about damage on other cars. I left impressed with the work I saw so far and didn't realize how much they take off the car before putting on the wrap. He showed me pictures he took of the car during the process and I was surprised they actually took that much off the car to wrap the edges. I wasn't too worried about that since they have done it on so many 3's by now. I had my X done last year at a different shop that was in the similar price range, but they did not take any trim off so the price is great in my opinion compared to some of the other options. Wrapping under the trim instead of up to it makes a difference over time as there are some edges already starting to come up on my X.

I saw another car that had Ceramic Pro done on top of their film and liked how great it looked and how easy it was to clean, so I asked them if they could hold onto the car and apply the Ceramic Pro as well. Sucks not having the car for a few more days, but hopefully it will be worth it. Also, the group buy is officially closed however the current prices will be honored for any appointments made before the end of the year.

1aa2c8f2fd06003557386c009340d9bbff5e60c7-3.jpeg 1aa2c8f2fd06003557386c009340d9bbff5e60c7-2.jpeg 1aa2c8f2fd06003557386c009340d9bbff5e60c7-1.jpeg

Sounds like this shop bulk cuts everything?

Aren’t you afraid of blade marks on your tesla people?

How does he cut the contour of the car? I’ve seen to many expensive cars have knife cuts. Totally defeats the purpose of protecting your car

Sounds like this shop bulk cuts everything?

Aren’t you afraid of blade marks on your tesla people?

How does he cut the contour of the car? I’ve seen to many expensive cars have knife cuts. Totally defeats the purpose of protecting your car

I don't think they bulk but everything, just places like the hood and trunk. I guess you have to just trust they know what they are doing and are using the knife just to tear the film. Guess I'll find out soon.

@dailo
How is the quality for chrome delete? I would like to know is it smooth and clean. Saw one with chrome delete in the parking lot today and multiple corners are wrinkled especially the door handles.

I didn't get chrome delete done, so I can't speak to that but they do vinyl wrap so I imagine they know what they are doing. I will say that if you are not happy with anything bring it to Alexs attention and he will take care of it. I'm still waiting a few days for some small bubbles to clear but I found a small dust spec under the film and he promised he also redo the panel no questions asked. Ideally it wouldn't have been there to begin with, but I get that mistakes can happen. There were 10 model 3s being parked inside when I picked up my car. Saw one white one in stealth wrap, man that looks good. Makes me wish I got white instead.

Here are a few pics I took, haven't gotten a chance to take more in the sun yet.

Attachments

• 771DFEB6-2206-4D56-8B49-FA98B6A9725C.jpeg
    771DFEB6-2206-4D56-8B49-FA98B6A9725C.jpeg
    524.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 80C3B379-D3F7-467E-8B3E-81466D3B6636.jpeg
    80C3B379-D3F7-467E-8B3E-81466D3B6636.jpeg
    622.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 8D7A21CB-906C-4810-8E63-C09A4DD42DC8.jpeg
    8D7A21CB-906C-4810-8E63-C09A4DD42DC8.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 190
  • D3D61BE4-3195-4C35-BF32-FE8BCE75889E.jpeg
    D3D61BE4-3195-4C35-BF32-FE8BCE75889E.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 194
Reactions: zonela
That definitely need rework, but risk getting the same or worse (scoring on clearcoat) if it was performed by the same inexperience people. Wondering why some people here are getting more quality work than others. Maybe some are overseeing it.

While this example is definitely very bad, I think it also has to do with expectations. If I saw spots as bad as what @Vines I would have definitely noticed it, but I’m sure my job isn’t as good as the other expensive shops in the area. I didn’t want to spend 10% of my car purchase on protection so I settled for something less expensive. There are definitely areas where the seams are not perfect, but you have to look real close to see them. I also hope the quality also isn’t going down due to the volume of cars they are trying to do.

Hi all. I just dropped my car off for Tint and PPF to the San Jose location. I’m a little worried because the person who checked me in told me they’re using Xpel Prime XR film. I assumed he meant they use Xpel Prime PLUS XR but now I’m not so sure. The group buy is for the better Plus XR film, isn’t it? They have a sign for Prime XR on the wall which is what the guy showed me.

Attachments

• 2BFFE842-A619-4977-8F78-2123E955BAD5.jpeg
    2BFFE842-A619-4977-8F78-2123E955BAD5.jpeg
    558.9 KB · Views: 184
I would call back and go to the Los Gatos location. They definitely use Plus there. I was paranoid and asked to see the box. The sign said XR in front but they use Plus only.

Attachments

• CA253B3A-AC69-497A-8D70-4C5964FE79B4.jpeg
    CA253B3A-AC69-497A-8D70-4C5964FE79B4.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I went back to the shop to clarify. I called Alex from there and he assured me he only uses XR Plus for the group buy installations and that I would get a warranty card that says it is indeed XR Plus. This film comes in 45% unlike Prime XR so that’s what I requested on all of the windows. I still can’t figure out why there are boxes and boxes of “XR Prime Black” film in their shop (see photo). What’s XR Black?

Attachments

• 84DDD6D4-DCD4-46F8-8D33-160ABF88EB8A.jpeg
    84DDD6D4-DCD4-46F8-8D33-160ABF88EB8A.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 178
A question for those who already got PPF on their 3.

Years back I had PPF on my Lexus IS300. It did its job to protect the bumper, but the film is rubbery to the touch and over time it just yellows and had kind of an orange peel effect on it. I recalled back then it was done with pre-cut film and I only did partial hood, so dirt and wax could be trapped on the film line.

Just wondering years has past and has the film technology improved?

How do you guys like the Xpel film being used?

Dropped my car off at Los Gatos yesterday to have the back glass tint redone, and today my P3D has 4 more miles on it. Someone at the Los Gatos shop there clearly took it for a joyride yesterday.

I'm a little miffed that they are joy riding my car, The work better be damn good this time.

From what I am told, the Prime film should last 10 years without yellowing, longer if you keep it coated with something to reduce the UV damage. I'll let you know in 10 years lol. Right now, its basically invisible, and nobody can even tell there is anything different between the front half where the PPF is, and the back half where its just ceramic.

Last edited:
Dropped my car off at Los Gatos yesterday to have the back glass tint redone, and today my P3D has 4 more miles on it. Someone at the Los Gatos shop there clearly took it for a joyride yesterday.

I'm a little miffed that they are joy riding my car, The work better be damn good this time.

From what I am told, the Prime film should last 10 years without yellowing, longer if you keep it coated with something to reduce the UV damage. I'll let you know in 10 years lol. Right now, its basically invisible, and nobody can even tell there is anything different between the front half where the PPF is, and the back half where its just ceramic.

What about your PPF? Did it get redone to an acceptable quality level? I still need to bring mine back to have the hood re-done.