Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norcal heat wave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

getakey

Jan 28, 2020
Our forecast starting tomorrow is 104, 103, 103, 106, 108, 107, 102, 101
Its actually dropped a few degrees from the 111 previously forecast for Monday

Thinking about putting my PWs on backup only in case of blackout, but that would only hurt the grid. Anyone else changing their behavior?

Reactions: travwill
I don't plan on changing mine from 40%. I figure the days should be clear so most days the Powerwalls will refill by noon as they did today. And there will be plenty of sun to run the A/C in the morning and still have full Powerwalls going into the evening. The heat is supposed to break for use on Tuesday evening.

We're also forecast for 110+ over the weekend and early next week. Had the same thought earlier today but ultimately I don't think I'll change anything. Time Based Control and reserve at 20%. If things do go sideways and there's a long outage overnight I have an evap cooler I can turn on that will keep things cool enough 'til morning.

I am going to bump up my peak temperatures a degree or so. That way I have a bit more in reserve in case something fails. I might then bump the reserve up after I see how it performs during the day. Basically set my reserve and temps so I get to end of peak at the reserve % with no grid charging during peak.

The real-time marginal energy cost is up to $833.18 (California ISO - Prices, Today's Outlook):
1661998220261.png

• Informative
Reactions: sorka and garrity
I checked later and a dropped even more. I assume as the event goes on Powerwalls hit their reserve setting or 0. At the end of the event the number was under 5 MW.
I was tapped out about 20 min before the end of the event (20% reserve, dumped 80% of 1 PW2 + a trickle of solar during the event) - charging up nicely this morning - no fog today!

Looks like another flex alert is on for today. No VPP notice yet in the app. Maybe they're waiting until later in the day to give the grid a break & let us charge up with solar :D

There's an EEA (Emergency Energy Alert) Watch posted for 6pm - 7pm tonight. Yesterday's VPP event matched the hours for yesterday's EEA, FWIW.