Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cloxxki

Aug 20, 2016
Rotterdam
https://electrek.co/2019/04/09/tesla-model-3-performance-nurburgring-race-track/

A nice first look, something many recovering petrol heads have been waiting for.

NOT driven in Track Mode here.
The updated P brakes do overheat within minute, driver decides to take it easier. So we don't know how much extra the drive train had to give. Hopefully soon we'll see a Track Mode lap from the same driver who really seems to know his way around the track driving well within himself and the respecting safety of other.
Not sure how much the stronger TM regen might help those poor brakes. One less passenger will help it get one or two corners further, maybe.

To those less familiar with track driving let alone this particular track, overtaking a hundred or so cars here says more about the driver than about the car. It's not racing, it's used as a public road here, without speed limits. Keep right when a car shows up behind to let them by.

Dynamically, the car looks really good considering it will be over 2 tons as driven.
Very curious to see a more serious attempt by a pro driver that knows the track and has gotten used to the car to be able to extract most from drive train and brakes. Such pro drives against are done without members of the public going for a little outing on the track at the same time. Someone needs to rent the whole track and its facilities to be able to do such a lap. You can't just show up and buy a ticket, start an out lap, do a flying lap and then an in lap. Just "out and in" laps allowed most of time. Time keeping prohibited.

Reactions: Nocturnal
I have done a few hundred laps on the Nordschleife. Not in a game but in reality.

In fact I also took my old Model S P85D to that track.

I honestly think that this video tells you nothing about the car's potential, it's just a cruising lap.

The track can get very difficult if you get within 20-30s of the car's real Limit and this is where things get very hairy because all those very fast corners get very narrow. It's ok to improve from 8:30 to 8:00. But from 8:00 to 7:45 it is a big step and most people will never achieve that level.

From what I know about the Model 3 Performance I have no idea how it behaves around the ring. It's got great traction and massive torque but cornering speed is only average and the brakes poor at best. Furthermore I am not too confident about the car's high speed stability.

I think a full lap within 8:20-8:30 would be very respectable for a car which has never been tested before on that track.

I am planning to take the Model 3P around the ring in track mode within the next weeks.

I have done a few hundred laps on the Nordschleife. Not in a game but in reality.

In fact I also took my old Model S P85D to that track.

I honestly think that this video tells you nothing about the car's potential, it's just a cruising lap.

The track can get very difficult if you get within 20-30s of the car's real Limit and this is where things get very hairy because all those very fast corners get very narrow. It's ok to improve from 8:30 to 8:00. But from 8:00 to 7:45 it is a big step and most people will never achieve that level.

From what I know about the Model 3 Performance I have no idea how it behaves around the ring. It's got great traction and massive torque but cornering speed is only average and the brakes poor at best. Furthermore I am not too confident about the car's high speed stability.

I think a full lap within 8:20-8:30 would be very respectable for a car which has never been tested before on that track.

I am planning to take the Model 3P around the ring in track mode within the next weeks.
I wonder if just replacing the stock brake fluid would make a big difference.

Reactions: wenkan
Look forward to hearing about it. How do you mitigate the "traffic" issue? Are there better times of the day, or of the week, to go drive on the Ring? I assume when a manufacturer runs their vehicles for a benchmark they are able to book a slot for a measure of exclusive access?

Last edited:
The Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio did 7:32.

A car whose time was beaten with the updated Track Mode.

Tesla Model 3 Performance with Track Mode beats a Ferrari's record in closed circuit test

Seems that time should be the target for a factory attempt with Model 3 Performance.
Would the brakes be up for it, though? A 1:29 lap is not the same as a 7:30 lap.

If I'm not comparing the wrong Alfa, it seems an unfair fight. A very significant weight advantage as well as peak power. Higher price as well.

Last edited: