Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20170903-093639.png

Hello, I don't have first hand experience yet, as I ordered my Model S this week. But I am willing to find out details for you if you need (I'm Finnish)? Coincidentally we planned with wife to do a trip and drive up north to Norway some time, but we didn't put that into calendar yet.

There was a blog post in Finnish Tesla club about driving to Norway, you might want to google translate that: Tesla Club Finland

I love the ironical start of it "since we are consistently reminded that you cannot drive an electric car to Lapland, we drove to Norway, as Lapland is nicely there in the middle".

There is also a a blog post in English about Finnish EV practicalities for tourists on the club page.

Thanks, but the post for driving to Norway was in September. I want to drive in December (or probably late February).
The highest point on the road to Alta (E8 and Rv. 93) is about 400m and the road seems pretty tall. I could not find out, if the road will be closed during winter. The route planner also says, that I should also use the 50 kW Fortum CHAdeMO in Sikka/Levi (+40min. over Rv.80/79) which would give me 4x faster charging than a AC-Charger (Single Charger, max.11 kW). Same was also used in Blog post above.

Found the blog Post about Tourist's Guide to EV Charging in Finland also interesting. I own Plugsurfing and NewMotion and even a Fortum Key (not yet tested).

I contacted our local travel agency regarding driving to Norway in february.
They claimed I would need 'special' winter tires (with spikes) once I go higher up then Trondheim ?
(ps I'm already looking into purchasing Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 tires...)
Also most hotels are closed that period.
Now they got my wife worried...

Any comments so that I can convince my wife and drive to see aurora borealis ?

I live in (the southern part of) Norway and have Hakka R2s on my S90D. I would not be worried using those in the north, and would not buy studded snow tires for such a trip. You could consider buying Autosock or (low profile) snow chains in case you encounter conditions where you need them (or ask to borrow/hire a set from a Norwegian on your trip in the Norwegian Tesla Owners facebook group).

I will start the trip to North Cape before Christmas 2017 and return in early January.
I just bought and installed 4x Nokian WR A4 245/45 R19 102V XL tires. I will use them most of the time in central Europe and also for the drive to Sweden, Finland and Norway. I have also snow chains with me.
If someone is interested I can also post the hotels I used in the northern parts of the trip.

Please do post the hotels and review the experience. I may be doing same trip one day. Most likely going to ski in northern Lapland next spring at least. One private cabin owner wanted 60 euros per week for electricity... I am telling him good luck with extra greedy pricing. Surely it is marginal cost if the cabin is four figures, but I refuse to be ripped off, as I will need one or two charges.

Rock - paper - scissors of winter tires:

Studded tires - Example: Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9
  • good for snow
  • good for icy road
  • average for wet road (noisy but ok grip)
  • average for dry road (noisy)

"Nordic" winter tires - Example: Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
  • excellent for snow
  • average for icy road
  • average for wet road (silent but poor grip)
  • good for dry road (silent but soft)

"Central European" winter tires - Example: Nokian WR
  • below average for snow (dangerous on slush)
  • poor for icy road (dangerous)
  • good for wet road (silent and good grip)
  • excellent for dry road (almost like summer tires)
Snow chains: Only for special situations, I have never even considered using any for almost 20 years. Never seen any being used by locals.

I will start the trip to North Cape before Christmas 2017 and return in early January.
I just bought and installed 4x Nokian WR A4 245/45 R19 102V XL tires. I will use them most of the time in central Europe and also for the drive to Sweden, Finland and Norway. I have also snow chains with me.
If someone is interested I can also post the hotels I used in the northern parts of the trip.
whow, looking forward to your experiences !

Received my S75D last week. For Christmas and New Years eve, I'll be driving to Finnish Lapland for family visit with the Tesla for the first time. Normally I drove a Landrover Defender with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's. Wanted to have the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 under my Tesla, but unfortunately Tesla NL only offers the Pirelli's as winter tires with their cars in the Netherlands.

Pirelli sottozeros are not designed for icy or snowy conditions, which is the normal winter condition for arctic Lapland. They are "central european" type tires and likely very good in above freezing temperatures.

For your comfort and safety, you should get nordic type tires for that trip.

Spent 2 weeks on a cruise with Hurtigruten. Got to see the northern lights. Really enjoyed being in your wonderfull country. Saw many Tesla.

Attachments

• IMG_2999.jpg
    IMG_2999.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 101
  • P1080292.JPG
    P1080292.JPG
    557.1 KB · Views: 109
  • P1080302.JPG
    P1080302.JPG
    605.2 KB · Views: 110
  • P1100229.JPG
    P1100229.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 109
  • P1080262.JPG
    P1080262.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: Hoffa
The last 14 days where really great experience with 2 highlights:
- Polar Lights
- visit North Cape in Winter

Poolcracks day by day Blog in German starting at Day 1

Hotel List (as mentioned, a lot hotels are closed during that period, even big ones):
- Hotel Villa Gulle, Nyborg, Denmark (didn't like it, to expensive for what it is, will not visit again)
- Best Western Hotell, Soderhamn, Sweden (was ok)
- Comfort Hotel Arctic, Lulea , Sweden (was ok on the 24th Dec., should be good during the year)
- Motelli Jätkänkolo, Pello, Finnland (Budget with Sauna!)
- Scandic Alta, Alta, Norway (good, but expensive)
- Scandic Bryggen, Honningsvåg, Norway (good, but expensive)
- Scandic Fauske, Fauske, Norway (good)
- Scandic Lerkendal, Trondheim, Norway (good)
- Smarthotel Oslo, Oslo, Norway ‎(Budget, small, service and interior bad, will not visit again)
- Hotel Ansgar, København, Denmark (good)

Some pictures, including one as a warning to everyone. Even locals with spikes make mistakes. They had a lot of luck, the black part in the picture just behind the car is the sea!

WARNING: This is not a holiday trip, it's dangerous and one has to be well prepared.

IMG_9567.JPG IMG_9572.JPG IMG_9566.JPG 2017-12-28_23.45.00.jpg DSC_1445.JPG

Reactions: bjornb
Only the videos:
- Nordcap in Winter - YouTube

Some statistics:
- 14 days
- 8186 km / 5087 miles
- 1888 kWh, 1510 kWh on Supercharger, 2x 65 kWh in Alta
- 231 Wh/km / 372 Wh/mile
- lowest temperature: -26C / -13F (day 5 in Finland)
- longest trip without break:
- - Supercharger Tanumshede, Sweden - Supercharger Falkenberg, Sweden
- - 235km / 146 miles, 2h15m, 105 km/h / 65 mph over all