Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Central Washington high amperage L2 Charging Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Organizing these things is a LOT of work. Thanks a lot, Jack, we really enjoyed ourselves.

I hope you got enough money to make some progress on those EVSEs. I also hope enough people in Chelan saw enough EVs driving around that they support the idea of EV tourism, too.

I agree--it was a delightful event, we were very visible and got lot a lot of attention, and we owe Jack many thanks for the whole organization. Thanks for the top up, too, Jack. My carfull did our best to support the local winery economy, as well as the L2 project.

Thanks for the positive encouragement! I want to thank Dr. Thornton for working the charging schedule and showing up way early to help out. Matt Moreno and Chad Schwitters need some attention too. After the dinner when the overnight charging started we over loaded the RV park circuit breakers. Matt and Chad diagnosed the problem, found the right people for access to the breaker box and physically managed the dial down of cars to balance the load. All were fully charged by morning.

We are working on an EVent for next summer, not a winery tour and NOT a fund raiser! It will involve driving, mountains, driver skills, photo taking abililties, card luck and other "activities". Stay tuned. It will be easier to stay up to date with Plug-In NCW because we raised $3,025 designated specifically for updating our web site at the Winery Tour. We have started the process and expect to have an updated presence on the Internet by December. Sean; to answer your question on donations, we are still counting but I can tell you that we have arranged an order of five additional CS-90s from Sun Country Highways!

Jack, any chance you could get your sites integrated into the new Sun Country map for Washington, perhaps using different colors for "planned" and "operational"? It would be nice to see a single map with all the high amp stations (include the new Port Angeles station as well).

Plug-In NCW is participating in the national Plug-In Day by sponsoring drives and rides for people in Wenatchee. The Wenatchee Convention Center has cleared our request to use their parking lot as a staging area. There are two L2 and one L3 there so it will be a great place to meet people, talk with them about the practicality and pure fun of driving electric and allowing them an opportunity to ride in or even drive an EV. This is a no cost event that we believe will pave the way for more central Washington residents to buy an EV.

On another note; we raised $3,025 at the Electromotion EV Winery Tour for use in administrative efforts. The PINCW Board has given the go ahead to use this money in redesigning our website. Our intention is to make the website more active, a place to allow drivers to post experiences and that sort of thing. We are meeting with a web developer nexy week to review our requirements list and talk about what a redesign might look like. If you have input; please post it...

September the 10th was a big day for Plug-In NCW. We have scheduled installation of three 70A EVSE units in central Washington along the North Cascades Highway. Winthrop, Omak and Pateros will have service by late September. Mazama and Chelan are next. On September the 25th I will be making a presentation to the Coulee City Council. My intention is to sell them on the concept of sponsoring a 70A charger at their city RV park on Banks Lake which is 100 feet off of Highway 2 between Wenatchee and Spokane. If installed this will provide service at the "half way" or "point of no return" between Spokane and Everett.

September the 10th was a big day for Plug-In NCW. We have scheduled installation of three 70A EVSE units in central Washington along the North Cascades Highway. Winthrop, Omak and Pateros will have service by late September. Mazama and Chelan are next. On September the 25th I will be making a presentation to the Coulee City Council. My intention is to sell them on the concept of sponsoring a 70A charger at their city RV park on Banks Lake which is 100 feet off of Highway 2 between Wenatchee and Spokane. If installed this will provide service at the "half way" or "point of no return" between Spokane and Everett.
Excellent!

Thanks for all your efforts on this Jack! I can't wait to road trip in that area next!

Cheers!

Friday of this week the Pine Near RV Park in Winthrop will have a 240V 70A charger installed. Plug-In NCW got a call from the GM at Sun Mountain near Winthrop. Seems they have gotten enough requests for EV charging that they are asking us to assist. I will be making a presentation early next month. Based on their location I am most likely to recommend a series of NEMA 14-50 (240V 40A) outlets to provide charging for their overnight guests. If you have been there and see it differently I would appreciate you input. To all of you who have contributed money, ideas, recommendations time and effort to this haL2 project your payoff is about to be made.

That's awesome, Jack. Sun Mountain is a fine resort, been there a number of times. A NEMA 14-50 would be great for Tesla owners but a J1772 might be a bit more flexible. Of course the NEMA will be quicker and cheaper. Maybe give them a set of options.

This would be really great for EV tourism as we can now point to a major resort that is supporting EVs to motivate others to do similar.

And, you can tell them that I will be making a reservation as soon as they have something in.

Which EVs are routinely able to make use of the NEMA 14-50? I assume all of them can purchase adapters, but how many of them are likely to carry adapters for the 14-50? Obviously, this would be great for the Tesla community, but for overnight charging, I'm thinking that J1772s might serve a wider audience, even if they are only 30 amp.

NEMA 14-50 and J1772

Which EVs are routinely able to make use of the NEMA 14-50? I assume all of them can purchase adapters, but how many of them are likely to carry adapters for the 14-50? Obviously, this would be great for the Tesla community, but for overnight charging, I'm thinking that J1772s might serve a wider audience, even if they are only 30 amp.

Seems that nearly all battery EVs and many hybrid EVs either have this connection as standard or one they commonly carry. I have checked this with the Leaf owners group and seems to be very common. At the Odell House in Spokane we unplugged their 30A GE Watt Station and plugged into the 14-50 outlet to get 40A. Because this is not an uncommon experience many drivers are equipping themselves with an array of connecter options.

Seems that nearly all battery EVs and many hybrid EVs either have this connection as standard or one they commonly carry. I have checked this with the Leaf owners group and seems to be very common. At the Odell House in Spokane we unplugged their 30A GE Watt Station and plugged into the 14-50 outlet to get 40A. Because this is not an uncommon experience many drivers are equipping themselves with an array of connecter options.
Good to know! Then I agree, NEMA 14-50 is a great and inexpensive solution for overnight charging.