Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Central Washington high amperage L2 Charging Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I spent 3 days doing the Cascades Loop this week. We went out along Highway 20, visited a bit in North-Central WA, and then came back along Highway 2 - both are FAR nicer drives than I-90! We charged at Jack's chargers in Winthrop, Omak and Chelan. We also stopped by and tried the Sun Country Highway charger in Leavenworth, though we didn't really need a charge there.

Thanks for putting them in, Jack! We have been wanting to take a trip like that for a long time. Everything went great, and there are already enough chargers to make it easy. I have updated my "Tesla Highway" map with them. If you're thinking of a trip like this, please give it a shot, and make sure to patronize the businesses with the chargers and let them know why you're there. Having site hosts know they are getting more business is the key to getting more site hosts to sign up. In small towns it helps to let other businesses you buy from know you are in town because of the charger.

Winthrop details: The only 240V in the bunch (the others are 208V), so you can get 50mph. Free. At the Pine Near RV Park. Wifi and restrooms 24/7. Nice hosts. Very quiet. The charger is just North of the "office" cabin. Hard to patronize the RV park unless you are spending the night; but if you are, they have RV spots, tipis with futons, and a couple of almost-finished well-insulated cabins that include bedding for $60. If you are just passing through, you might consider a small donation and a thank-you note. While charging, walk across the street, though the Shafer outdoor Museum, and down the steps to explore Winthrop. We didn't have time to try every restaurant, but we had excellent food everywhere we went. The glassblower is an EV driver.

Omak details: 208V 70A, so 43mph. Free. At the Omak Inn; near the Southeast corner of the building near the highway. They have wifi and a pool, look pretty nice and rooms start around $70. Subway on one side, a family grill on the other. There is a small shopping center a block to the Southwest.

Chelan details: 208V 70A, so 43mph. Free. At Campbell's resort, downtown on the waterfront. They have a big complex; the charger is in front of a small building at the corner of Manson highway and Columbia Street. The restaurant is great. I have heard great things about the resort; rooms start about $165.

Leavenworth details: 208V 70A, so 43mph. Free. At the Best Western Plus, on a building at the NW portion of the property. It's at the West end of town; easy to do a walking loop while charging. Looks like a nice hotel, and I have heard the restaurant is great. Enchantment Park is 2 blocks away.

ChadS

Thanks for the report. We are doing the north part of the loop next week - weather looks great. Burlington Supercharger, highway 20, RON at the Omak Inn, and then north to check out some of the Sun Country Highway. Probably Kamloops and then, well, not sure.

I've posted this in some other forums, but I though I'd post it here as well. While not directly part of the NCW hal2 project, a number of us have been working to persuade Seattle City Light to install one or more high amp charge stations at its facilities in Newhalem on Highway 20. I have been informed that City Light is moving forward on this project, and is hoping to have it completed in the spring, possibly with a "grand opening" on Earth Day, April 22. They will need to close Highway 20 in order to bring lines across it, so they are waiting until the highway is closed for the winter. Council members Mike O'Brien and Sally Bagshaw were very helpful in moving this along. Also thanks to JackA and EricH. I will try to post details about any grand opening so that we can get a good turnout and show our support.

Plug-In NCW is working closely with SCL and keeping their project manager up to date on our installations. I have suggested that they consider a "Grand Opening" at the same time as we host our next EVent in Mazama this Spring. Speaking of Mazama. This was a difficult haL2 installation for us because of low electrical capacity in the area. I am happy to announce that I will be delivering a 70A unit to Mazama this week and expect it to be operational within the next five days. Our usual approach is to provide the EVSE unit, monitor and signage while the Host agrees to pay for installation. As long as there is a reasonable parity between what Plug-In NCW provides and the cost of the installation we have a 50/50 partnership. In Mazama our host was required to bring the transformer up to current standards. This involved mobilizing a boom truck and crew to lift the transformer out of place. Then a backhoe dug out a deeper hole and the crew attached mounting points for conduit ("scoops" in industry parlance). Before we wanted access to this transformer the connections were made via direct bury cable which is not acceptable in current practice. Many of you will ask why the owner is being required to pay for this work. Mazama electrical power is distributed by a cooperative and they operate differently than Public Utility Districts and private providers. I got the host to move forward by pledging to attempt raising $1,600 to pay for the transformer retrofit. At this point eight of us have pledged about $900. The Mazama Country Inn has two NEMA 14-50 outlets and will now host a Plug-In NCW 240V 70A unit. Mazama is a critical site for our Leaf driving population if they want to cross the Cascades on the North Cascades Highway. Any financial support you can render will be appreciated!

Mazama 70A Charger is Operational

Plug-In North Central Washington is happy to announce the availability of a 70A charger at the Mazama Country Inn. We validated it Monday evening at about 5 PM. It delivers 243V @ 68A. This location is loaded with interesting trails, shops and places to eat or lodge. The Inn has two NEMA 14-40 (240V 40A) outlets for over night guests and the J1772 240V 70A unit for travelers. I will be getting the EV EVSE Apps updated later to day.

Attachments

• Mazama EVSE SMALL.jpg
    Mazama EVSE SMALL.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 376
  • Mazama EVSE Small 1.jpg
    Mazama EVSE Small 1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
On 11 November Plug-In NCW signed a host agreement with Twisp River LLC. We delivered a 70A EVSE unit to the Twisp River Pub and expect to validate its charging within the next two weeks. The Twisp River Pub is located on Highway 153 the main route between Winthrop and Pateros. They have an onsite brewery, very good food prepared largely with locally produced items, and live music. The pub is also less than a block from the main avenue eateries, shops and services of Twisp. The Managing Partner says that they are very concerned with the environment, sustainability and community. His point to me was that adding an EVSE was a perfect fit for their operation. It was the easiest, quickest presentation to signing I have experienced. Stop in charge and eat... Twisp River Pub

Last edited:
Campbell's Resort on Lake Chelan - 70A EVSE Dedication

Thursday, November 14, 2013. Three electric vehicles, Leaf, Model S and Volt picked up the mayor and several city council members at the Chelan city administrative building. It was a short drive to Campbell's Resort on Lake Chelan but the excitement was palpable. The talk was of the electric cars and the fact that Chelan now had a high amperage L2 EVSE unit. As the caravan neared the entrance to Campbell's volunteers with glow sticks directed them into the parking area beside the 70A Plug-In NCW charger. We heard about Plug-In NCW's successes from our President, Ron Johnston-Rodriguez and how hosting a unit is "good for business" from Anna Kominak owner of the Pine Near RV Park in Winthrop. The Mayor described how this was good timing because the city was voting on a budget for 2014 that includes money to purchase and install two more haL2 units for placement in Chelan. We are sure the budget will pass, with the units included; after all we had half the city council at the ceremony! Finally, Art Campbell was recognized for the long, slow, process he suffered through with us as we "reformed" our infamously one sided Host Agreement. It was dark, it was cold and it was wonderful!

Chelan Charging Wide.jpg
Campbell's Award.jpg

Cascade Loop Association and Plug-In NCW

Plug-In NCW has partnered with the Cascade Loop Association which is a 200 merchant member organization focused on tourism along the Cascade Loop. We are planning an activity for August which will be a miniature version of Sun Country Highway's "Emazing Race/Rally." It is interesting that our Hosts for the EVSE are all members. Plug-In NCW will be helping design the 2014 Guide Book to include EVSE locations and descriptions. This is the 2013 Guide; our intention is that the 2014 version will be more impelling for those not driving an electric vehicle.

Cascade Loop.png

Last edited:
Meeting with the owner of the 59er Diner Thursday at 9 AM to survey both the Cashmere and Coles Corner (Lake Wenatchee Junction) locations for possible haL2 installations. These are on Highway 2 between Wenatchee and Stevens Pass. I will post the results on Friday.

We performed site surveys at both the Coles Corner and Cashmere 59er Diner locations yesterday. We found a source for 240V 90A power at Coles Corner just beside the restaurant. A Plug-In NCW 70A charger connected to this source should prove out at 50 miles of range per hour of charge (MS/Twin chargers). The installation is estimated to be very inexpensive, the owner is motivated; he drove my car, so I believe we will have this installed an operational by 31 December. The Cashmere location has two potential sites one with 208V the other 240V. The better voltage requires agreement with the building owner which might take a bit more time. Both diners are owned by the same person so the motivation is there, we just need to work through the access issues at the Cashmere location.

Paterors EVSE Validated

Plug-In NCW is pleased to announce validation of one 240V/70A charger as well as four 120V/15A outlets for guests and travelers at the Pateros Lakeshore Inn. Check in at the office for directions to outlets. The J1772 70A charger is free for all travelers. Donations for maintenance and expansion will be gladly accepted at the hotel front desk. There are many activities nearby to occupy your time while charging. The Rivers Restaurant, convenience store, Lakeshore Inn, museum and beautiful lake side City Park are all within a very short walk of this site. Check it out, you will be amazed.

Pateros Validation.jpg
Pateros Validation 2.jpg

Coles Corner EVSE Validated

Plug-In NCW is happy to announce the validation of a 70A charger at the 59er Diner located at Coles Corner on Highway 2. This location provides a charging opportunity between Stevens Pass and Leavenworth. It delivers 238 Volts at 68 Amps for 50 miles of range per hour of charge. The 59er Diner is a favorite eating place for many traveling Highway 2 plus they have cabins for rent. They also serve one of the best milkshakes in the state! Across the highway you will find a Put Put Golf course and walking trails. There is also a convenience store and small hotel located within a short walk. Coles Corner is at the intersection of Highway 2 and SR 207 which is the Lake Wenatchee State Park turnoff.

Coles EVSE 2.JPG
Coles Sign.JPG
Coles Validation Dash.JPG

Waterville, WA haL2 installation planned. Plug-In North Central Washington is finalizing plans for installing a 70A charger at the "Highway 2 Brew" in Waterville, WA. Waterville is at the "half way" mark between Spokane and Seattle on Highway 2. This installation is requiring a new service connection with transformer and meter. The Douglas County PUD has never been involved with supplying energy to an electric car charger so there have been meetings and phone conferences covering every imaginable issue! But, we are very close. I am confident that by June of this year we will have this site operational. In north central Washington there will be eight haL2 (240V 70A) EVSE units allowing travel along highways 2, 97 and 20. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to make this a reality.

Waterville, WA haL2 installation planned. Plug-In North Central Washington is finalizing plans for installing a 70A charger at the "Highway 2 Brew" in Waterville, WA. Waterville is at the "half way" mark between Spokane and Seattle on Highway 2. This installation is requiring a new service connection with transformer and meter. The Douglas County PUD has never been involved with supplying energy to an electric car charger so there have been meetings and phone conferences covering every imaginable issue! But, we are very close. I am confident that by June of this year we will have this site operational. In north central Washington there will be eight haL2 (240V 70A) EVSE units allowing travel along highways 2, 97 and 20. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to make this a reality.

Great work, Jack!

I have two questions:

1. Does Plugin NCW have a website that shows the locations of these stations on a map, explains how the projects are structured, offers a way to make contributions, etc.? I tried to show my brother in California what you all were doing, and the best I could come up with was this thread.

2. Any word on the progress of the Seattle City Light project in Newhalem?

Thanks,

Doug

Plug-In NCW Web Site and Map

Plug-In NCW will have a very professional website up by the end of May 2014! Here is current system map. View attachment EV Charging Stations Compressed.pdf

Check the first post in this thread for how to contribute or participate. We are willing to share our with others. If you Private Message me contact information I'll follow up.

Last communications with Seattle City Light Project Manager indicated that they would be completed before Highway 20 opens for the 2014 season.

We only have three reservations for our "North Cascades Rally of Discovery" North Cascades Electric Vehicle Rally of Discovery Registration, Mazama - Eventbrite which is a "Fun" Raiser, not a "Fund" Raiser! This will be a great opportunity to see and experience the EVSE installations in north central Washington!

Last edited: