Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Central Washington high amperage L2 Charging Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Charge Delivered! Winthrop

Winthrop EVSE.JPG
Winthrop Charge.JPG
At 4:16 today, Monday 23 September we proved our first haL2 installation! As you will see in the attached photos the CS-90 is delivering 243 VAC at 68 Amperes. I did not take time to try increasing the rate on my car, we were so excited that this excellent site in Winthrop is now open and ready to use. I will be adding it to the various Apps this evening and tomorrow.
Our installation in Omak is behind schedule however, we are intending to start in Pateros this week. Our next step in Winthrop is to stage an opening with the local business and civic leaders. Time and day to be determined… This milestone would not have been reached without your support and encouragement. Thanks!

Jack,

Well done. We have a farm in rural Wisconsin and have been thinking about doing something like this. A few questions:

- how much does it cost to install each unit ( unit and labor)?
- who owns the unit once installed?
- who pays for the electricity?
- any other details that you see as key?

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Mark

mf66: I have answered with more detail in a PM. In general Plug-In NCW maintains ownership of the EVSE for 36 months. We pay $2,200 to purchase the unit, signs and a monitor module use at each host site. We use a 36 month "Host Agreement" that requires the host to pay for installation, maintain the unit in working order, supply electricity for no cost and allow any EV to use it. At the end of 36 months to host can purchase the unit for $500 and begin collecting usage fees or they can simply stay in the association and continue to provide free charging. The 36 month duration of free status is a requirement of being a tax deductible organization.

Thanks for your efforts Jack. Wanted to let you know that Model S owners are benefitting from them.

I rented one of the new cabins at the Pine Near RV park in Winthrop Saturday night. Anna and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. After the days activities in town went back to the camp ground and plugged in for the night, at 11pm, with 47 rated miles left. Sunday morning had a full standard charge for the trip back to the Burlington SC. Just as we were about to leave Sunday morning another Model S from Seattle arrived to charge so we visited for a few minutes with the owners before departing.

It is more than satisfying to hear about utilization of these charging opportunities! We signed an agreement with Campbell's Resort in Chelan yesterday and will be installing there within the next three weeks. We have some concrete cutting and digging to perform so will take longer than our usual time to install.

Plug-In NCW is very happy to announce two new haL2 EVSE installations on Friday. Chelan and Omak join Winthrop as operational sites. Byron and crew at Campbell’s Resort prepared the pathways to include concrete cutting and trenching and made the mounting backboard in about three days. The installation by Matthew Hepner took about six hours. Omak was wired in less than five hours with only some twenty feet of “dirt work” needed to reach the mounting point. Pateros Lakeshore Inn is next! Jack

EVSE Campbells.JPG
EVSE Omak.JPG

Plug-In NCW lists on: "Recargo", "PlugShare", "Tesla Highway", "Open Charge Map" and "Car Stations EVSE". We were elated to see that one day after validating the Campbell's Resort 70A EVSE station in Chelan it had two check ins! The city is now interested in placing some units. If this were to happen, Chelan would be the leader in haL2 charging opportunities.

JackA. Now that Tesla is going to make CHAdeMo adapters available in the US do you have any thoughts to making them available at the CHAdeMO chargers. Maybe similar to what was done with the roadster to Mod S adapters with donations and lock boxes.
There may be many that would like the option to use the L3 chargers but can't justify a $1000 for the infrequent times it would be needed but would be willing to contribute to an organized group that would make them available to members.

Pricee2: No Plug-In NCW is focused on EVSE that services the widest array of EVs possible. However, I personally will be purchasing a CHAdeMO adapter as soon as they are available and will be willing to lend it. By the way, do you know what CHAdeMO means or stands for?

It seems to be a sort of play on words from the Japanese: O Cha demo ikaga desuku; literal translation; How about some tea? or meaning charging in the time it takes to drink a cup of tea.
One (set of) opinion(s):
CHAdeMO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CHAdeMO is an abbreviation of "CHArge de MOve", equivalent to "charge for moving". The name is a pun for O cha demo ikaga desuka in Japanese,[1] translating to English as "How about some tea?", referring to the time it would take to charge a car.[2] CHAdeMO can charge a car in less than half an hour.
The last statement is interesting, in light of 62.5 kW barely charging Model S' bottom-end 60 kWh battery in an hour rather than a half-hour. For an 85 kWh, it would be more like 1.36 hours (assuming no tapering off).

And that's without even accounting for Model S charging at more like 400V instead of 500V.

And here I thought that was an abbreviation for Charger Has A deMented Originator.

I'm pretty sure there will be tapering so an 85kWh MS will probably take like 2 hrs for a full charge. That would really have to a major cup of tea... Nothing like an SC but beats the pants off of a 6kWh J1772.

I have to say that the dopey capitalizing of chademo grates on me. I've also seen it called a DCFC (DC Fast Charger) which of course Google insists is a band called Death Cab for Cutie. I like the band better than the charger. And, in general, I think Tesla has out thought all the other EVSE guys in all areas - technical, practical and marketing.