Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Texas waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting they were so honest because that is my experience of body shop work and some research has shown that it does sometimes happen that something else goes out of line or something gets scratched so I also decided to leave mine alone. No-one who has looked at the car, even those who know Tesla’s have a bad rep and decided to check it themselves didn’t actually notice it as you don’t at a glance, it’s only because we look so closely when we pick them up because we were told to check…
If you do decide to go ahead and have them try and correct it I’ll be interested in your experience but so far I’m having them leave mine well alone.
On a side note I do have a mobile tech coming on Thursday to fit my homelink…
Will let you know if I decide to go ahead with my appointment. It’s set for 10/4. Do you mind sharing pics of what gaps you are seeing.

How long did it take for the paperwork to arrive for y’all after taking delivery?
That's a good question. My FedEx account shows the tracking number listed twice from 9/17 when I picked up, but neither show being picked up yet. One says it is due to be delivered tomorrow (10/1) while the other shows delivery date pending. Both entries have the same tracking number. So, I'm guessing the standard Tesla "2 weeks" answer applies here as well. :)

That's a good question. My FedEx account shows the tracking number listed twice from 9/17 when I picked up, but neither show being picked up yet. One says it is due to be delivered tomorrow (10/1) while the other shows delivery date pending. Both entries have the same tracking number. So, I'm guessing the standard Tesla "2 weeks" answer applies here as well. :)
Good that you have a tracking no. For temp tag expiring 10/10, I don’t have anything after picking it up 9/17.

How long did it take for the paperwork to arrive for y’all after taking delivery?
I got mine within 2 weeks. The first temp tag hadn’t even expired. Took 10 minutes at the local tax assessor office to pay taxes and get permanent plates. No Title Girl or anything was needed, I didn’t fill out any forms either. Tesla packet includes everything, you just take it to the tax office.

Reactions: M-S-M
You picked up 9/17 and your tag expires 10/10? Mine is good until 11/1! That doesn't seem right.
My M3 was picked up 8/21, but my tags expired 9/16 so yeah there was about a week delay somewhere....

And the MYLR I ordered on 9/1 had no EDD for the entire month of Sept, woke up this morning and it's 12/11-12/31 (yay). appreciate the Q4 rush. I figure I'll defer to January though for the EV bill (if it passes).

For us it took 10 days for the FedEx from Tesla to arrive with the required docs for registration. I tried to do the registration on my own through the Austin tax office. The in person registration during Covid is by appointment only here. There are NO appointments available ever. I tried to do a walk up by getting there 30 min before they opened. They said No. They also would not let me make an appointment.

They did say that perhaps I could do it through the drive thru, so I sat in the car in the ridiculously long line for about 2 hours only to be told at the drive thru … NO.

I sent the required docs by FedEx to Title Girl that afternoon. The cost is $250. Their estimate is that it will take them at least 2 to 3 weeks.

I got mine within 2 weeks. The first temp tag hadn’t even expired. Took 10 minutes at the local tax assessor office to pay taxes and get permanent plates. No Title Girl or anything was needed, I didn’t fill out any forms either. Tesla packet includes everything, you just take it to the tax office.
Where in Texas? Austin tax office was a sh*t show for me with 3.5 hours wasted and no registration/plates at the end of all of the hassle.

Last edited:
That’s the way to do it..
Called Hurst office, no appointments necessary. Now just waiting for the packet to arrive. To check on the other side of the tag, I’ll have to take out the tape and all - which is probably what I’ll end up doing if I don’t have the packet by then.

Meanwhile, will call Tesla Monday. At delivery time, I pointed out that I have only 3 weeks and the lady said that should be plenty. Tesla time works different, should’ve known 😛

I'm in Dallas (Frisco, TX) and first attempt was a sh*t show, I made an appointment online for a Monday morning, went in & out in under 15 minutes!
Austin is just overwhelmed. There were no appointments all the way through Oct. I checked our temporary tag and it is not double-sided with a later date version on the back. It expires on Oct 4. I requested a temp tag extension through Tesla, but haven’t received it yet.

It‘s such a widespread problem in Austin that, hopefully, APD will not focus on enforcement.

Just got the paperwork from Tesla. Seemed like 4-5 pages; headed out and will take a closer look later. Wish Tesla starts sending some sort of a tracking number or at least an email to relieve anxiety of existing temp tags.