Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NOT tinting the Windows with white interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else have white interior and decided not to tint the windows? I think the car is so beautiful, inside and out, and tinting the windows would hide that aspect.

But my question is, does your car seem cooler than cars you had with black interior?

Perhaps if I just put up a sunshade, it would help?

Reactions: Mr X
I could never do that. The sunlight coming in from the windows will heat up your arms, legs, etc as you drive. At least get a light 70% tint that blocks UV and IR. My last 3 cars also had front window tinted with 70% for the same reason mentioned.

Tint also helps allow the AC to run at lower fan speeds. Good thing to have since the AC fan is the loudest thing in the car (besides the speakers)

Depends on where you live.
Tesla’s UV IR coating on glass roof has been enough
With the white interior + preconditioning, heat hasn’t been an issue
I like the look of tint from the outside but hate the visibility on rain days and at night.

Like you, I thought the exact same thing. I waited 6 months to finally make my decision and after driving around for 6 months here are my thoughts:

1. I felt like a fishbowl the whole time, everyone could see me
2. I didn't like the fact that someone could see me since I like to launch the car a lot, I like to be in incognito

Since getting my car tinted:
1. It has look sportier
2. I'm loving the privacy
3. It feels more like I'm more in a bat mobile.

Yes, the white interior is beautiful and I like to show it off but it comes with trade offs (privacy). After getting my car tinted, I realize you can still see the white seats through the front window so if you like the 'show off' factor, it's still seeable.

Depends on why you want to get tint but you want to go about 10% darker since you have white seats. I went with 15% Llumar CIR which I thought I'd never get because 30% has always been the popular choice. It turns out 30% is still very light on a sunny day and people could still see you. Looking back now, 15% was the best choice.

If you want it to be sporty, get 15% or 20% (my local tint shop didn't have 20%).

I looked up every picture I can of Tesla Model 3 15% tint online and the pictures do not do it justice one bit because it's so one dimensional. When you see it in person it is so beautiful.

Again, everyone gets tint for different reasons, you just have to decide what you want more.

Here is the thread I started back in December: Anyone have White Interior with tint?

as you can see 30% looks great, but it's very deceiving base on the angle and lighting it was taken in. I wanted my tint to still be dark on a sunny day which people can still see you but not very clearly.

Reactions: TBrownTX and Mr X
I do not plan on getting my windows tinted on my soon to be Model 3 with white interior.

I use to drive around in my blacked out Chevy Volt with no AC all the time and had the windows tinted.

I do not like dark window tint anymore. Felt like it was just a phase.

I don't let heat affect me because I never think about it, I just deal with it. It's whatever.

But ya, having white interior and getting it murdered out with dark tint just seems like a complete waste concealing it.

And AC can be turned on through the app if its so hot for your body to handle

If any tint, the lightest possible. But show off that white

Like you, I thought the exact same thing. I waited 6 months to finally make my decision and after driving around for 6 months here are my thoughts:

1. I felt like a fishbowl the whole time, everyone could see me
2. I didn't like the fact that someone could see me since I like to launch the car a lot, I like to be in incognito

Since getting my car tinted:
1. It has look sportier
2. I'm loving the privacy
3. It feels more like I'm more in a bat mobile.

Yes, the white interior is beautiful and I like to show it off but it comes with trade offs (privacy). After getting my car tinted, I realize you can still see the white seats through the front window so if you like the 'show off' factor, it's still seeable.

Depends on why you want to get tint but you want to go about 10% darker since you have white seats. I went with 15% Llumar CIR which I thought I'd never get because 30% has always been the popular choice. It turns out 30% is still very light on a sunny day and people could still see you. Looking back now, 15% was the best choice.

If you want it to be sporty, get 15% or 20% (my local tint shop didn't have 20%).

I looked up every picture I can of Tesla Model 3 15% tint online and the pictures do not do it justice one bit because it's so one dimensional. When you see it in person it is so beautiful.

Again, everyone gets tint for different reasons, you just have to decide what you want more.

Here is the thread I started back in December: Anyone have White Interior with tint?

as you can see 30% looks great, but it's very deceiving base on the angle and lighting it was taken in. I wanted my tint to still be dark on a sunny day which people can still see you but not very clearly.
Since you have a pretty dark tint and the white interior, do you see the white dashboard reflection on your side view mirrors? Thats what I'm most afraid of when tinting the front side windows. I want to go ~30% but afraid of that reflection.

I love the white interior and had the same concerns about tint darkening the lightness of the interior too much. That is why I got 55% Xpel Prime XR Plus, their most advanced ceramic tint, on all windows except the windshield . It does reduce the heat in the cabin and reduces how hard the AC has to work, but does not darken the windows.

As for darker tints, I was concerned about the white dash strip being reflected in the side window, night time visibility, and liability issues. So I am definitely happy I went with the 55% ceramic tint.