Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notable Gaps in Supercharger Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find a significant gap in the proposed SC locations that will hopefully be filled early on.
There are no proposed SC stations between Phoenix and San Antonio. A trip between California and Texas is not feasible at this point. I don't know if this would be a highly traveled route....but I would think that many people would like to see this added to SC network.

I find a significant gap in the proposed SC locations that will hopefully be filled early on.
There are no proposed SC stations between Phoenix and San Antonio. A trip between California and Texas is not feasible at this point. I don't know if this would be a highly traveled route....but I would think that many people would like to see this added to SC network.

No SC stations on I8, either. Unbelieveable. It looks to me like somebody was tasked at the last minute to come up with an SC station map. Back to the drawing board, please.

While I'm at it, I question the whole idea of solar power for the SC stations. How's that going to work out for Portland in the winter months? Or the SF Bay area, for that matter.

No SC stations on I8, either. Unbelieveable. It looks to me like somebody was tasked at the last minute to come up with an SC station map. Back to the drawing board, please.

While I'm at it, I question the whole idea of solar power for the SC stations. How's that going to work out for Portland in the winter months? Or the SF Bay area, for that matter.
For reference, the best remapping of the announced superchargers I've seen is daxz's, found HERE.

The California--Texas drive is feasible, but only via Oklahoma City. Fail.

What really surprised me was the lack of a Phoenix--LA link, and then to Tucson. Something near Blythe on I-10 and near Yuma on I-8 would be useful. Then on to Tucson, Las Cruces NM, and something before the I-20/I-10 split.

From a New Englander's POV, there should be:
  1. One further north on I-95, near Portland ME (or even further to Augusta). Very popular skiing/vacation areas up there.
  2. Shift the Connecticut SC to New Haven. The best route between NYC and Boston is through Hartford, not through Providence; this shift puts the SC on the best route from NYC to Hartford, Boston, and Providence.
  3. Add a SC at Wareham MA, which is a chokepoint getting on to Cape Cod. Again, a very popular driving destination.

I posted a more complete assessment of the New England SCs over in the New England forum.

Looks like the San Antonio to LA would be covered by 5 year plan roll out. I agree that the other places, Maine and Kansas-Denver look like areas that need additional SCs.

The proposed locations are definitely doable if you're willing to travel less than or equal to speed limts for a 85kWh pack - it would be difficult to get across with 65kWh pack though. On my map using radius distance of 89 (60/85*250)/2 where circles don't meet it shows where it would not be possible. It would be tough to go ~65mph and make across I-80 in WY and I-40 in numerous locations (TX, MS, GA).

Looks like Tesla's map was using is about 190miles as distance radius. So they are looking for about a 80% charge for 85kWh pack.

Looks like for me in my regular Denver-Chicago run it would take me about 20% longer from going slower or out of way to make the distances with a 60kWh pack. As a plus most of the stops are around where we normally stop anyway. (using http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/ to find speed needed on elevation changes) 85kWh would be about 5% longer with Ogallala to Denver needing 65mph instead of 75mph to make it up the elevation increase.

I think the best thing about the map is that it tells me that a 60kWh pack is workable for what I drive with a little compromise on speed.

+1 on the Denver to KC and on to St Louis path needing another SC or two.

Also, notice how the southern CO SC site moves between Year 2 and Long Term. It looks like they moved that site to avoid a gap in coverage in western KS in the year 2 map. Certainly implies some fudging.

As nearly as I can tell from the maps, it seems like the Northeast is isolated from points west of eastern PA for the first two years. There is a black dot along I80 in northwestern PA that would bridge this gap if it were instead in the two-year rollout. Then we could go from NYC (and points north) to Chi-town and vice versa.

Bummer that i have to wait up to four years to go over to Ohio and toast my father's vaunted V8s. At least in the meantime I can get to FL and smoke my brother's new Jag.

Last edited:
It's important to remember that the slides that Tesla put up for their long-term or even 2-year plan are a result of marketing design, and very likely not a representation of actual locations under discussion, let alone contract.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/8070-Suggested-Supercharger-Locations

And link to it often in correspondence with Tesla Motors. They do listen.

I also noticed the gap in LA to Phoenix. It's normally a 5 hour drive in an ICE vehicle. Our current options (once the SC network is out) are to either go up to needles and charge, taking the 40; or stopping in Palm Desert for a 14-50 charge. Either way, it looks like it will make for a MUCH longer trip than it otherwise would have been.

LA to Dallas looks even worse! I must say, I'm a bit disappointed, especially since I had been lobbying Tesla very hard for a supercharger in one of the desert cities to make the drive to Phoenix (one I do regularly) more convenient.