Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now that autopilot is included......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla prices change all the time so it's reasonable to say "prices went up and now you get AP for free". Like anything else you can slice and dice it however you like. I paid far more for my car than those buying now, and far more for EAP than those buying now. Certainly looks free to me.

I guess you could say that if the increase in price and the inclusion of AP didn’t happen at the exact same time. Then in Tesla’s own words they use the price increase and the cost of AP to explain the increase in overall cost.

8454EEAC-13E0-4EDA-915E-E6AA23DE660A.jpeg

It’s pretty clear Tesla wants the extra cash on each vehicle sale and are justifying it by forcing AP on each car purchase.

Reactions: phantasms
I guess you could say that if the increase in price and the inclusion of AP didn’t happen at the exact same time. Then in Tesla’s own words they use the price increase and the cost of AP to explain the increase in overall cost.

View attachment 396220

It’s pretty clear Tesla wants the extra cash on each vehicle sale and are justifying it by forcing AP on each car purchase.
However we look at it I'm not really fazed. I paid 7k for EAP after all. :)

However we look at it I'm not really fazed. I paid 7k for EAP after all. :)
That's great but the bottom line is you ordered it because you wanted it. I had no desire to order AP, now I'm forced to and oh yeah the price jumped as well. I'm not complaining about something that is free as you put it, the price went up and now includes an option that I wouldn't have ordered in the fist place. Sorry you got screwed paying $7000 for EAP but as you put it..."Tesla prices change all the time.... Bottom line is it's not going to effect if I buy the car because frankly I don't really care about the option, I'll hardly ever use it, which is why I wouldn't have ordered it, but now that its "bundled" into the car I wanted to know what it does in its present iteration. My point on the boring comment was not to "complain" but rather comment on its rather underwhelming current capabilities from what I had read in the past.

Interesting. Back in the day, you had to enable auto lane change separately from AP in the center console. I just looked and didn't see that option, but it might be worth reading the menus and maybe calling Tesla before you give up.
I have and there reply was lane change is no longer part of AutoPilot and is now FSD. Too bad their documentation does not match.

• Informative
Reactions: Saghost
I have and there reply was lane change is no longer part of AutoPilot and is now FSD. Too bad their documentation does not match.

We all agree Tesla should update the manual to cover not just existing EAP owners, but the new AP-only owners....but as you've already been repeatedly shown-

The parts in the user manual that mention lane change mention them as part of enhanced autopilot, which is not what you purchased.

The video showing lane change clearly says enhanced autopilot right near the start, which is not what you purchased.

The description of the CURRENT AP being sold on the page you buy it from clearly says IN YOUR LANE for autosteer and TACC. with 0 mention of being able to change lanes.

We all agree Tesla should update the manual to cover not just existing EAP owners, but the new AP-only owners....but as you've already been repeatedly shown-

The parts in the user manual that mention lane change mention them as part of enhanced autopilot, which is not what you purchased.

The video showing lane change clearly says enhanced autopilot right near the start, which is not what you purchased.

The description of the CURRENT AP being sold on the page you buy it from clearly says IN YOUR LANE for autosteer and TACC. with 0 mention of being able to change lanes.

But in fairness, Auto Lane Change has been a part of Autopilot since about 2015, in all of the original non-enhanced versions of Autopilot. It was certainly reasonable to expect that it would be in the new definition of AP, until Tesla provides a clear answer (which they've apparently done in answer to his query.)

Reactions: HyperionMark
But in fairness, Auto Lane Change has been a part of Autopilot since about 2015, in all of the original non-enhanced versions of Autopilot. It was certainly reasonable to expect that it would be in the new definition of AP, until Tesla provides a clear answer (which they've apparently done in answer to his query.)

I agree. When I purchased the new basic AP I just assumed that it would have the basic feature of switching lanes with the turn signal because even the very first version of AP1 had this basic feature. How that basic feature became a “FSD” feature I have no idea because it’s a manual function.

Reactions: vickh

AP1 was not only never offered on the Model 3, it uses a completely different set of sensors, technology, and code, all from a different company that stopped working with Tesla several years ago. It would make no sense to think that had anything to do with current Model 3 offerings.

The purchase page is pretty clear on what the current AP offers-

Tesla.com model 3 order page said:
AutopilotIncluded
  • Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.
That's it. Within its lane. Hard to be clearer than that.

I agree. When I purchased the new basic AP I just assumed that it would have the basic feature of switching lanes with the turn signal because even the very first version of AP1 had this basic feature. How that basic feature became a “FSD” feature I have no idea because it’s a manual function.

how well does AP1 do w/ switching lanes with the turn signal ?

I'm a little disappointed that my exact car configuration is $4500 less than when I bought it, and includes basic autopilot (a 2000 upgrade). Even though I got the 7500 tax credit, I could still buy the same car today for less than I spent lass year tax credits included.

I know prices change and some will think I am whining. I am just disappointed, that's all. It hurts my resale value relative to someone who orders today.

Preach it. Everyone also seems to assume that 100% of buyers have a tax liability greater than $7500, thus making them eligible for the entire amount. I was finally relieved to ee AP for $2k and FSP for $3k. Saves up for two weeks, went online to purchase and discovered it went up to $11k and that pricing was a "mistake". The douche waffle I spoke to on the phone about it apologized for not notifying people of public information, being a prick and thinking it was in the blog when it wasn't.

I am holding out and will continue to express concerns of the pricing decisions that are increasingly unfair to early adopters. Purchasing the car I could personally have $90 less on my payment with AP included.

Basically acts like the 2019 Hyundai I rented.

Exactly which is why AP is now included.

Every car maker is adding this, Tesla needs to stay ahead of the game in terms of features AND value, not fall behind. Soon everyone will have a ground-up design EV, including VW with a $22k variant. Tesla will be pretty much forced to give away AP at that point. They are close to it now.

Reactions: SammichLover
I'm a little disappointed that my exact car configuration is $4500 less than when I bought it, and includes basic autopilot (a 2000 upgrade). Even though I got the 7500 tax credit, I could still buy the same car today for less than I spent lass year tax credits included.

I know prices change and some will think I am whining. I am just disappointed, that's all. It hurts my resale value relative to someone who orders today.

It is understandable, but you had a choice - you could have NOT bought it. You wanted it and you were okay with the price.

Today the same iPhone costs less than mine did when i got it. Same goes for my laptop. Same goes for my other car, too. It's a 2017 and I can buy it for about $8k less than I paid for it, about one year later. I knew this going in. I hope you did too.

This is how the world works. If you wait for a few years FSD will be even better, and included. Life is short though, and deep inside you know this. You want your Tesla NOW, as do I :)

And the current listing of Full Self Driving has no mention of lane change on turn signal so how is one to know before one purchases. Many of us feel Tesla did a bait and switch. Below is a graphic I used when I purchased. A graphic I later found was wrong.
A3C65DE5-5F12-4831-B9CA-990C8A2FC7CE.png

And the current listing of Full Self Driving has no mention of lane change on turn signal so how is one to know before one purchases. Many of us feel Tesla did a bait and switch. Below is a graphic I used when I purchased. A graphic I later found was wrong.
View attachment 396795

Uh...that's a graphic a forum user made up you realize?

If you're basing purchasing decisions on pictures made up by random people on the internet that just MIGHT be your own fault when it doesn't work out quite how you expected.

How you think that is tesla bait and switching is.... bizarre.

I already quoted what tesla actually listed on the purchase page for what you bought. It makes 0 mention of changing lanes, in fact it explicitly makes clear it only works within its own lane.

The problem I have with it is the loud AP disengage/engage sound that happens every time you have to do this gets pretty old, especially on a long drive where you might have kids or other passengers sleeping in the car.
I got used to this, though maybe I wish I could turn the volume down a touch on it to help it fade even more into the background?

I started on EAP and have FSB but this still happens in use. I fact I'll drop out of AP semi-regularly when I want the car to do something, go a place in among cars I know AP isn't really up to, so I still drop out. At first the sound was the sound of failure (!) but now it's just something that happens and doesn't really bother me.