Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NPR all things considered review.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure "revised" is the proper description. The article you cited is an excellent read about the physics of electric range. But it is not referring to a particular model or trim level. By saying "approximately" Elon can describe all Model S models while giving what might be a top line, lowest common denominator type of number.

The (optional) spoiler on the performance model (as an example) would likely change the Cd either up or down. We have no clue what the magnitude or direction of that change is but I've heard that an otherwise cosmetic spoiler can add or subtract Cd on the scale of 0.01.

My basic point stands. We don't have real data and Tesla has an incentive to under promise and over deliver on all of their claims. Likely they will only succeed in matching most of their claims, but it would not surprise me in the least if the Model S Performance turns out to accelerate faster than 4.4 0-60.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. The 0.22 number came from Elon in a video where he's standing in front of a prototype. The 0.24 number comes from an official post that has published charts related to production vehicles. I choose to believe the latter is our "best answer" to date.

My basic point stands. We don't have real data and Tesla has an incentive to under promise and over deliver on all of their claims. Likely they will only succeed in matching most of their claims, but it would not surprise me in the least if the Model S Performance turns out to accelerate faster than 4.4 0-60.

Wiki has the Model S as the 2nd best Cd of any car ever made. After the Ev1.

Even if this third round of electric transportation dies an inglorious death. EVs would still come back in 10 years. Memories are short and the technology and costs will be even more undeniable.

PS
Love my Rooodster!

"...enchanting Scottish brogue..."
I know a woman from Scotland. She sounds just like that. Lovely accent. While we're off topic, I also love a Carolina accent, and I love the way people in and around Madrid speak Spanish. Texas is an ugly accent, as is the way people in Seville, Spain, speak Spanish.

Back on topic, that was an excellent report.

Edit: But a Glasgow accent is unintelligible!

IIRC, Top Gear defended itself after blatantly lying about the Roadster by saying that it is a comedy show, not a car review show.

The guy is clearly talking about the Roadster. Some editor mistakenly stuck in the wrong clip. That's easier for me to believe, than a car reporter not knowing that a roadster is a small two-seat sports car, not a big sedan. My customer advocate told me my non-sport Roadster would do 4.1 if charged in Standard mode.

Pretty worthless little clip. I quit listening to ATC a long time ago.

I agree with Daniel. That's the problem with the press... doesn't matter who the publication or media channel is - they always get at least one or two things wrong (if not more). It's very difficult to manage from a company PR standpoint, particularly print, and radio. Even TV in how they edit, which can take things out of context, and change the slant/focus.

Heard a short blurb on NPR this morning (about 10 seconds) announcing today's release of the Model S.

It was fine except at the very end they said "Tesla has lost almost a billion dollars selling their high-end electric Roadster sports car."

That was disappointing to hear. That's not right, I'm prettty sure. Sounds like they're including CAPEX and other things in there, and just calling it a loss. Usually I like NPR, but come on guys...it costs a little money to start a car company...

Heard a short blurb on NPR this morning (about 10 seconds) announcing today's release of the Model S.

It was fine except at the very end they said "Tesla has lost almost a billion dollars selling their high-end electric Roadster sports car."

That was disappointing to hear. That's not right, I'm prettty sure. Sounds like they're including CAPEX and other things in there, and just calling it a loss. Usually I like NPR, but come on guys...it costs a little money to start a car company...

Yeah, they've lost like $800 million to-date, but to characterize that as "selling the Roadster" is completely wrong. The Roadster only cost like 300 million to get on the road, and is very profitable. Elon has said, if they weren't developing the Model S, they would have been profitable a long time ago.

Margins on the Roadster were like 28% or something like that in the last quarter they sold them in the U.S.

That's the problem with the press... doesn't matter who the publication or media channel is - they always get at least one or two things wrong (if not more). It's very difficult to manage from a company PR standpoint, particularly print, and radio. Even TV in how they edit, which can take things out of context, and change the slant/focus.

On almost all things that I know quite well - what I hear / read in mass media (not specialized outlets) is always wrong on some facts and in the slant. Now I almost expect that - given that the journalist would be working on a story for just a short time and won't have the context and knowledge that comes with months of engagement.

That also means - we should learn to take everything in the media with a grain of salt - esp. on subjects we don't know much about.

Yeah I listen to NPR every day (most weekend days to actually) and they are generally pretty good. But they do mess up.

I find that their coverage of sports is often bad and ill informed (the few times that they cover sports). Except when Frank Deford Rants! But those are just entertainment, and opinion.