Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NTB can't jack a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a slow leak in the left rear tire of wife's P85+. Took the car to NTB and they said two hour wait. Came back two hours later, gave them the keys and asked if they know how to drive and work on a Tesla. Supervisor said one of his guys does. I wasn't so confident. 20 minutes later he came back and said they don't have the ability to jack a Tesla. WTF?

Guess I'll call the service center tomorrow morning. They have my P85D for body repair and didn't give me a loaner. The tire would be a non issue if both Tesla's weren't down.

I normally go to Discount Tire for tire issues, but they were closed today. The guys at NTB always act like dicks.

Do tire shops have the ability to jack a Tesla? I told the dick at NTB that the manual tells how to jack the car. Am I wrong?

Do tire shops have the ability to jack a Tesla? I told the dick at NTB that the manual tells how to jack the car. Am I wrong?

Seems like instead of calling the guy a dick that you should be glad that they were honest with you and didn’t try to work on the car and damage it when they were unsure about what to do.

You even said at the beginning of your post that you didn’t think they would know how to work on your car, so I’m not sure why you’re so surprised when they came back and told you that they weren’t able to do so.

• Helpful
Reactions: LuPapa
Seems like instead of calling the guy a dick that you should be glad that they were honest with you and didn’t try to work on the car and damage it when they were unsure about what to do.

You even said at the beginning of your post that you didn’t think they would know how to work on your car, so I’m not sure why you’re so surprised when they came back and told you that they weren’t able to do so.

Thanks for your input. Do you have anything helpful to say or just want to criticize? Trust me...they have always been dicks when I go there. Not like Discount where they have positive attitudes and greet customers with a smile. NTB has always acted like I'm inconveniencing them by walking in the door.

The local NTB has replaced the tires on our S P85.

The console's instruction manual provides an explanation of how the car is to be lifted.

But you should let them do it only after you've verified they understand those instructions.

Though if you have a Tesla extended warranty - Tesla may be able to provide a replacement tire with their mobile service.

Tesla Tires.JPG Just got tires replaced at America's Tire (Discount Tire) about a month ago, watched closely but it seemed like they knew what they were doing. 4 jacks, carefully placed at each jack point. Just lifted high enough for some off roading!!

Discount Tire publishes instructions for their employees on how to do it. I took mine there and they even had to ask me why they couldn’t find my jack mode option. (I don’t have air suspension, so no jack mode).

Good to know for the future. I really prefer to go to Discount Tire, but they are closed on Sunday. After calling the SC this morning, I told the wife to just take it there today and they would have it fixed within 30 minutes or give her a loaner. It's only 15 minutes away and I feel much better having the Tesla pros handle the car. Well worth the extra cost for repair IMO.

America's Tire near me didn't lift my car correctly.
They used the Quick Jack type lift on my battery without using blocks on the lift pads.

What happened to that car in the picture?

The battery pack protrudes downward and lower than lift points. That Quick Jack lets the battery sits on it first then the weight of the entire car crushes the battery pack upward until the lifts points are reached!

Wife took the car into the SC today and they found a nail on the inner sidewall that I couldn't see. Obviously not repairable, but they replaced the tire with free labor and 30% off the price of the tire since they were only 2 months old. Had her out the door in no time. Love the customer service!!!

Got a slow leak in the left rear tire of wife's P85+. Took the car to NTB and they said two hour wait. Came back two hours later, gave them the keys and asked if they know how to drive and work on a Tesla. Supervisor said one of his guys does. I wasn't so confident. 20 minutes later he came back and said they don't have the ability to jack a Tesla. WTF?

Guess I'll call the service center tomorrow morning. They have my P85D for body repair and didn't give me a loaner. The tire would be a non issue if both Tesla's weren't down.

I normally go to Discount Tire for tire issues, but they were closed today. The guys at NTB always act like dicks.

Any tire shop should be able to do it. I did it myself and it was easy to spot the jacking points. Not rocket science.

• Helpful
Reactions: TravisT
What happened to that car in the picture?

I'm driving it everyday!

The battery pack protrudes downward and lower than lift points. That Quick Jack lets the battery sits on it first then the weight of the entire car crushes the battery pack upward until the lifts points are reached!

True the battery pack rails are lower than the lift points, but I don't think the battery pack has been "crushed". It's stronger than that.
The only way to know for sure is to measure the distance between lowest point of the battery pack to the lift points.

If anybody wants to do that and share their numbers that would be great.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Costco is open 7 days a week- and they have done my Model S- had to teach them where to find the torque specs the first time, but that was a couple of years ago- So now they know. Otherwise, Monday - Saturday Discount Tire should be able to jack it correctly. I've been there too and they had no problem, used the right jack points with out issue and didn't use the quick jack, just a regular floor jack

• Helpful
Reactions: TravisT