Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Observed public perception of the Model 3 being the inferior budget model coming from 2 Tesla family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...which is funny, because the Model 3 my wife wants (performance + options) will probably end up costing more than our Model S did.

Funny - I was chatting to a Model S75 owner, they asked about the battery/range in my 3 and was "oh wow, that's much further than mine".
Yeah sorry dude, my 3 costs less, goes further, is freakishly cool inside and has the latest compute power built in.
This is where Model S & X are heading, best get used to it now :D

It's like that for a lot of companies. You fully load a lower model car and it can be more expensive than a base model higher level car. A fully loaded M4 can tip the price of a base 7 series. But you're not comparing apples to apples though. Everyone understands that a 3 series is slotted lower than a 5 or 7, even if you can spec up a 3/4 series higher than a base 5 or 7. Doesn't mean the 3/4 is a bad car, even if it's a "lower" model.

The base Model 3 is still going to be a fantastic car, but at $35,000 base, the general public still sees it as a Tesla and thus a "premium" or "expensive" car.

Once Tesla gets their manufacturing up and used ones start appearing on the market in good numbers, I bet certain areas are gonna be flooded with Model 3s from status obsessed folks. I'm thinking SoCal places like Glendale/Burbank or the OC in particular.

But it IS the "inferior, budget model".... It is cheaper and in many ways (purposely) inferior to the X, S and Roadster.
There's NOTHING wrong with that, it's just its place in the pecking order. Is that a surprise to you?
However, in many ways Model 3 is superior to S/X and Roadster. It's a matter of perspective.

100% agree. But I think what Tesla trying to do at first was reach as big of audience as possible. There are many more people buying 35k dollar vehicles as opposed. I'm a day one reservation holder and every so often on facebook or instagram when I post about the model 3, a majority of the comments I receive are "Is that the new cheap Tesla" "Is that the low budget Tesla?". They strongly focused on the whole 35K low price (compared to the S and X) yet I think they left out the other aspects of the car like the ones you mentioned. But in reality, they don't need to explain anything yet to the general audience since the people who will be receiving their vehicles for at least the 6-9 months (in the US) are the enthusiasts. Once they get through the majority of the backlog is when I think they'll really need to change the narrative of the vehicle.

Bob,

Maybe my perspective might help. The model 3 is the first Tesla for me. I'm super excited about it. I've already shown it to all my co workers and have driven them around in it at day two. Already one of my co workers mentioned she was "jealous" and wanted one but she needed an SUV. So I mentioned the model Y reveal next march. I also noticed that another co worker has been watching you tube videos on the model 3...lol

I think this will be a common occurrence for the folks who have reserved model 3s and it's really a great car and this enthusiasm from us new Tesla owners will be a positive drive to the brand.

I can understand what you are saying and I have thought that sometimes myself, however I can say that confidently that those thoughts for me disappear once I drive.

I've never had a new car that I have wanted to just sit in it, just for a little while, (please don't laugh). So I would rest assured, im confident that the quality of the car will drive this brand forward.

The public perception is that Teslas are fiery death traps.

I personally could not care less what people think. I love the Model 3 and I hope the company does well so that it can continue to provide support for my car.

^ lol this... my Mom calls or texts all the time asking if my car has caught fire with her grand daughter in it yet. I've also had people refer to it as "Elon's autocrematoria" and "rolling firebomb". I've sent out the link showing that gasoline cars are 11x more likely to catch fire to at least 2 dozen people but the media is more efficient than I will ever be.

I gladly tell others I own the inexpensiveTesla, I love the look on their face when they actually see it. They say: "This is the CHEAP one?! What does the expensive one look like??". I respond with: "Well it has wings for doors, and believe it or not... the new one actually has rocket thrusters from Elon's space company!"

No one ever looks at my model 3 (only 1 time a guy gave me a thumbs up), but when I'm in a Tesla S I get 4 or 5 people each day starring at me while we sit in traffic. I kind of like the Model 3 not attracting attention. My co-worker also calls it the "cheap one" which is not bad though since more people will know it's affordable. The Model 3 will be the Prius, Corolla, or Camry of the future.

Also, Tesla is already thinking past the Model 3 to the Model Y. They don't have to worry about the mainstream since they prefer CUVs and SUVs. The Model Y will fit that market. I don't think non Tesla followers in 2020 will go onine to buy a Model 3 because he needed a new car. It's either you like Tesla or you don't.

• Love
Reactions: Brando and croman
I'm not going to comment on your geographical area but that's definitely not true where I live. If anything the X/S owners I've interacted with are anxious to get Model 3-esque updates to their dated climate and infotainment systems among other things. Outside of Tesla owners... the Deutsche et al. owners I am friends with are quite infatuated with my 3.

X owners here. We get excited every time we see a 3. They're the newest design!

We'd love those cool AC vents (hopefully it is quieter, the small vents on our X are way louder than any gas engine noise would be in our blazing TX heat). Infotainment-wise gimme CarPlay or you're still dead to me, Tesla!

• Love
Reactions: Tezlanian
X owners here. We get excited every time we see a 3. They're the newest design!

We'd love those cool AC vents (hopefully it is quieter, the small vents on our X are way louder than any gas engine noise would be in our blazing TX heat). Infotainment-wise gimme CarPlay or you're still dead to me, Tesla!

I'm really hoping for nice updates to the X/S interiors soon. Surprised we haven't seen it yet.

This isn't that different than a BMW 2 or 3 series compared to a 5 or 7 series. Indeed, there are a number of similarities. The 3 series is the more sporting car and, indeed, it is (in many ways) the quintessential BMW. The one that really made their moniker (e.g. the Ultimate Driving Machine). Admittedly, BMW has lost a lot of the UDM in recent years, but that's a story for another post.

The BMW 3 series interior is nothing to write home about compared to the current 5 series which is pretty darn nice. Indeed, I sometimes wonder if the 3 series interior is purposely a bit more low rent to drive buyer to step up to the 5 series....what am I saying...OF COURSE that's the way it is!

I suspect the Model 3 will continue to play on the "smaller, more sporty" traits that it has rather than compete in terms of outright luxury. It will likely also carve out its place in that segment and do just fine.

Now, one thing that does sort of bug me about the Model 3 relative to the Model S is the looks of the Model 3. The Model S really is a beautiful car. The Model 3 isn't an ugly duckling by any stretch of the imagination, but the longer proportions of the Model S give it that classic coke bottle shape and the 3 really does suffer in comparison with its stubby nose and a little too fat/tall rear. I don't see this level of distinction between a BMW 3 and 5 series....but maybe that's because the better stylist comparison might be between the BMW 3 series and 6 series Gran Coupe.

Driving home from a family event last night we came up next to a 3. My wife and I both noted how it just didn't "grab you" the way the S does. Yeah, yeah, I know...first world problems, right?

• Disagree
Reactions: croman and Brando
This isn't that different than a BMW 2 or 3 series compared to a 5 or 7 series. Indeed, there are a number of similarities. The 3 series is the more sporting car and, indeed, it is (in many ways) the quintessential BMW. The one that really made their moniker (e.g. the Ultimate Driving Machine). Admittedly, BMW has lost a lot of the UDM in recent years, but that's a story for another post.

The BMW 3 series interior is nothing to write home about compared to the current 5 series which is pretty darn nice. Indeed, I sometimes wonder if the 3 series interior is purposely a bit more low rent to drive buyer to step up to the 5 series....what am I saying...OF COURSE that's the way it is!

I suspect the Model 3 will continue to play on the "smaller, more sporty" traits that it has rather than compete in terms of outright luxury. It will likely also carve out its place in that segment and do just fine.

Now, one thing that does sort of bug me about the Model 3 relative to the Model S is the looks of the Model 3. The Model S really is a beautiful car. The Model 3 isn't an ugly duckling by any stretch of the imagination, but the longer proportions of the Model S give it that classic coke bottle shape and the 3 really does suffer in comparison with its stubby nose and a little too fat/tall rear. I don't see this level of distinction between a BMW 3 and 5 series....but maybe that's because the better stylist comparison might be between the BMW 3 series and 6 series Gran Coupe.

Driving home from a family event last night we came up next to a 3. My wife and I both noted how it just didn't "grab you" the way the S does. Yeah, yeah, I know...first world problems, right?

I have noticed that the model 3 is relatively conservative on exterior design, i.e. smooth curves and from the rear no way to tell what it is, unless you know the Tesla symbol. I believe done on purpose to capture as wide an audience as possible.

Don't underestimate the power of design influence if you have or are a current model s or x owner. I say that because when you look at the exterior design differences between other cars on the road and the model 3 there is a much more drastic difference and forward look than current car designs. The most common comment is that the front looks a bit like a porche. If I'm right a little like the 911 style.

• Love
Reactions: Brando