Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Observed public perception of the Model 3 being the inferior budget model coming from 2 Tesla family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's the people I hang out with, but they don't think of Model 3 as the cheap one. They think of Model 3 as the one that was supposed to be affordable, but isn't because Tesla won't/can't build the base model. And BTW, $35k will be the most expensive new car many of them were hoping to buy.
Robin

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
I think the OPs remarks are a little to California centric to be applied to global Tesla sales.

That's just my Midwestern opinion.

As a flyover state resident I agree but on the other hand Tesla is going to sell a lot more cars in California then Montana.

If the op is mainly interested in perceptions, I guess I don't really care. If the question is about future demand there are other threads that discuss that at length, specifically in the investor forum. I'm not too worried, the 3 is going to pull in sales from folks who would never buy a $35k+ car just like the S pulled in people who would never buy a $70k+ car.

The Model X falcon wing doors are genius. Definitely get more looks with those open than anything else these days.

As for the Model 3, Tesla definitely went in the direction of understatement. But there may be some halo affect once we start seeing Model 3 P cars on the road and showing up in youtube and magazine reviews.
Folks, What we are in the middle of is a seachange in the automotive industry and one's driving experience. Tesla has produced a series of all electric cars that outperform in all categories 90% of ICE cars (except in range-- and that too will be surpassed in 3 years!).

The Model 3 (and MX and MS) is equivalent to what impact the Apple Macintosh or Iphone had on their respective industries: one had to think about the computer and phone in a whole other way.

When I introduce my M3 to my friends, the first thing I say is that you have to think of this car as an iPad with wheels. Tesla is creating a new car culture where, ideally, cars are shared, cars are networked to each other and cars are "improved" over the air... minimizing the need for an old school service center and maximizing service at your home or work place.

The quality and service that Tesla offers is also essential in sustaining the already high level of customer loyalty. And that will be know very very quickly -via social media- as new Tesla owners sound off about their car.

400,000+ M3s will shift (pun intended) the American driver from ICE cars to all electric cars... just like Ford's Model T shifted people's idea of personal transportation and how things are assembled. I give it 5 years for the seachange to become the norm-- even if Tesla becomes a financial disaster, the toothpaste is out of the tube and there's no putting it back!

Model 3 was originally designed to be a smaller and less expensive to build Tesla that would allow more of a mass market appeal. It would offer all the EV goodness, OTA updates and access to the Supercharger network...starting at only $35,000. With the Federal and state rebates it would net out at around $25,000 and would be competitive with ICE vehicle of the same size, but offering far more performance.
It was a super compelling idea, and people stood in line to put down deposits, as the demand far outstripped the supply.

Tesla was caught flat footed by this overwhelming demand. They advanced the production by about 18 months and fast tracked the car into production. Since the first year or two had a huge financial burden of all those developmental costs the first production models needed to be more high margin than would be possible a year of two down the line. Tesla handled this just as they had with the Model S. The first ones were only available with many options that allowed the company to recoupe their initial costs. Figured that once they got their volume up to about 5,000 Model 3s a week they could become profitable just makeing a mix of base models and optioned models.

Things seem to be working out as planned. Volume ramping up nicely, people are happy getting the cars early with the nice options and some waiting patiently until the base models become available.

The image of the Model 3 is about to take a big leap upwards as the dual motors and high performance models begin coming down the line. All the magazines and internet articles will be about the great performance of these new models and people will become aware of the prices that people are paying for them.

My counterpoint to all this is that I drive a 2017 X 75. Perception from many I speak with is that the car is much more expensive than I paid. They think of it as a +$100,000 car. Due to Tax credits, rebates, Utility rebates and favorable small business tax deductions my net cost is less than 1/2 that amount.

Real point is that nobody, but the owner, knows what the price is of somebody elses car. It really should be a non-issue.

Enjoy your ride. Teslas feel like the future.

I just don't think it will be an issue. Everyone focuses on the 400K reservations and even some recent reports of 23% or so being canceled. What they fail to discuss is the ripple effect of those early buyers. Let's say half of them convert to sales. Based on what I read here on TMC and other forums, a LOT of those buyers could not afford a Model S. As a result, these folks are going to be socializing their new Tesla to their friends who are often in similar income brackets. This is going to turn into conversations like "Honey, did you see Bob's new car? He got a TESLA! If he can afford one of those, maybe we can too.".

This ripple effect may spread to more than just people who can afford a Model 3...it may (sadly) spread to those who really can't (and should be buying Accords/Camrys). I'll admit, I cringe more than a little bit when I read about folks taking out 84 month loans on these cars. Regardless, I expect we will see sales happening up and down the income level spectrum.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Where I am everyone is excited about the Model 3. Models S/X are the "old ones" or the "big ones" instead of the new hotness.

Granted a Tesla is a Tesla and just being a Tesla they get revered. S/X doesn't get the same reaction as Model 3: "OMG that's one of the new ones"

People drive into the parking lot of our local service center just to scope out any Model 3s which might be outside.

Dudes working at a fast food joint outside Maumee OH supercharger (across the street) saw my car last year and said they needed to touch themselves and called over the entire staff. They gushed and gushed until we got our food and drove away.

At Mishawauka IN this past May I was backing up and a lady yelled across the parking lot: OMG, is that a Tesla?

So YMMV.

If someone calls it a cheap Tesla just correct them and say it's the newer, lower priced, sportier Tesla. ;)
I've never had anyone use the adjective "cheap". When it comes up that I've got one coming this year I personally refer it to as "the smaller one", as most people do assume a Model S $100K car. The concept that there is a Tesla arriving shortly with a price tag meant for people that have lesser means than "filthy rich" isn't as widely known as you might expect.

Tesla needs to do more in marketing the car and instead of stressing on the $35k part
which everyone on the Tesla forums knows is not even out yet (or when it will be...).
If they marketed the car as an electric sport sedan, A4/3 series/C class fighter...

No need to worry about the M3 maketing less issue...
BMW might started been worrisome about making the i3 Rex flop insteado of continuing the ActiveE.

De9WxlhUwAAj3Px.jpg:large

Im glad we all enjoy our Teslas,
Im just thinking about what will the demand look like once the 400k backlog is filled.
Tesla has all these ramp goals of hitting 5-10k per week and all the reservation holders are excited to get their hands on the cars.
But if production goals are met and future demand is not there because it's viewed as the inferior step child t
hen people will likely look elsewhere and might not be great for Tesla.

Only issue for EVs in the $30k-40k would be for owners living in an apartment instead of a separate house,
and relying on city chargers if they cannot plug in their parking, or have to park in the street or outdoor parking lot.

In my experience, 10% of people think of the model 3 as the "cheap Tesla". These tend to be model S/X owners. 90% of people think of the model 3 as "WOW a Tesla, how can you afford that!" These tend to be people who have no specific familiarity with Tesla other than a high priced electric car that is not good for long trips. This allows me to educate in a casual conversation.

Completely agree. The only people I've ever heard say the 3 is the "cheap" one is models S/X owners.

But they're right. It is the cheap one compared to their cars.

The general public hears Tesla, and they think expensive. Even before the pricing came out, my dad (who believes photoshopped crap on Facebook) thought the 3 was gonna be $60,000 even though it was the lower model. He was basically spot on.

Tesla does NOT need to market. They don't and don't need to. They've got a huge backlog. They're properly spending all their money on trying to fix manufacturing before spending any money on marketing. Honestly, it's stupid to say they need to "market" anything at this point. The periodic free tweets from Elon is all they need to do to steer conversation, but the general public perception of the 3 is pretty accurate at this point IMO.

Funny - I was chatting to a Model S75 owner, they asked about the battery/range in my 3 and was "oh wow, that's much further than mine".
Yeah sorry dude, my 3 costs less, goes further, is freakishly cool inside and has the latest compute power built in.
This is where Model S & X are heading, best get used to it now :D

I have had my Model 3 for over a month and X for the few months before that. I actually prefer the 3 over my X for it's improved screen interface, zippy city performance, much longer range. X can't be beat in hauling more people and storage and falcon wing doors make it easy to get in for passengers. Hardly anybody bats an eye or shows much interest in the Model 3 in socal, and the ones who do ask if its "the cheap one." While whenever I take the X out people think its some ultra exotic like a Ferrari/Bugatti even though there are plenty on the roads in California. I think Tesla will have no issue selling the Model 3 till the back log is filled but needs to think beyond that. The Model 3 is basically marketed as a one trick pony in that its $35K and thats all non enthusiast people know about it. Tesla needs to do more in marketing the car and instead of stressing on the $35k part which everyone on the Tesla forums knows is not even out yet (or when it will be...). If they marketed the car as an electric sport sedan, A4/3 series/C class fighter and show it can hold its own in that class and that it comes in a variety of trims and price points then it would be slightly less confusing to people who have next to no knowledge about Tesla. Being known just as the "cheap one" is not good for company image and Tesla needs to fix that before its too late. Anyone have thoughts/experiences on this?
Not at all but then from my parts a $50k auto is anything but cheap. And all have been impressed with it. Far more value from my end versus the other Tesla models.