Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obstacle Detected - Power Reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a car passing in front of me as I was pulling out of my driveway and knowing that I'd clear the car I tried accelerating but got a message that said "Obstacle Detected - Power Reduced".
While I think this is a great feature that could possibly reduce many accidents from inattentive drivers, the way to reset it seemed a bit dangerous. The car says something along the lines of "reapply accelerator to reset". I think the system should allow for acceleration once it no longer detects the object because I was in the middle of a busy street and my car wouldn't let me go past 5mph. I needed to release the accelerator and then press it again to get going.
It's a great feature but I think it can be worked on. Has anyone else experienced this?
AP2 on 17.26.92

knowing that I'd clear the car
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I want to say "wow, that's awesome that the Tesla is able to detect things like that". On the other hand, which I think I side with more -- the Tesla should not be reducing speed unless an imminent collision is going to happen, while a human operator is behind the wheel.

This is probably a consequence born out of all the "my car accelerated on it's own into a wall" cases in the past. If so, I can't blame Tesla for doing this. On the other hand, I agree, it is annoying when it's not supposed to come on and you have to deal with it in situation as described by OP.

This is a dumb "feature" since it's not spelled out in the user manual of how it works, and there is no way to disable it.

Everytime I've seen it talked about on here it's due to causing some issue for someone.

The car is simply trying to be too smart for it's own good, and it's going to cause an accident.

So Tesla is ready to limit my acceleration in the name of safety, but won't let emergency braking brake harder if a collision is detected?

I've experienced AEB only barely slowing down a few times since I got my X. All below 28mph. So much for giving the driver control.

Seems to be a trend.....Aren't the best consumer products easy and intuitive to use?

btw the "beep beep" happened after the other car had completely cleared his car - couldn't keep up?

and he didn't hit the other car, yet had to pull off onto his lawn bc the car disabled itself post "incident"
The beeping is the sound that the car gives whenever there’s an error message that comes up, for example trying to drive the car when the charging cable is still plugged in. The car should remove the restriction once the obstacle passed, but judging by the error message, they purposely keep the power off.

looks like operator error
????????

I'd email this to Tesla, this is a lot more dangerous than it looks. Seriously. Do it now. With the video.

In a situation like this you ALWAYS favor false negative (miss potential avoidable accidents) than false positives (stop the car when you shouldn't).

I've done stuff like that many times (where I KNOW I can make it in the gap), but if the car decides "well *sugar*, let me reduce acceleration" I KNOW I'd be in accident.

It actually took me a bit of time to realize what was happening and I couldn't stay in the middle of the road so I did a quick turn onto my front lawn

Here's a video of it happening. You can tell that the car completely cut the acceleration even though my foot was all the way down
With the 50-60mph speed limits on surface streets around here, that "feature" could get someone killed...

It actually took me a bit of time to realize what was happening and I couldn't stay in the middle of the road so I did a quick turn onto my front lawn

Here's a video of it happening. You can tell that the car completely cut the acceleration even though my foot was all the way down

That's just downright scary. If the car is going to do this, might as well get rid of it now and never look back. Going to die getting hit from the side trying to pull out into traffic.

I'd email this to Tesla, this is a lot more dangerous than it looks. Seriously. Do it now. With the video.

In a situation like this you ALWAYS favor false negative (miss potential avoidable accidents) than false positives (stop the car when you shouldn't).

I've done stuff like that many times (where I KNOW I can make it in the gap), but if the car decides "well *sugar*, let me reduce acceleration" I KNOW I'd be in accident.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just sent the email. I told them they could check the vehicle logs if that helps them in any way

Reactions: Max*
Count me among those who do not want the car deciding how or when I use my accelerator pedal. Half the time I use it accelerate OUT of harm's way, not the other way around. This is the problem with too many features like this... the vehicle can never take the place of a human being in making these sorts of judgment calls.

Count me among those who do not want the car deciding how or when I use my accelerator pedal. Half the time I use it accelerate OUT of harm's way, not the other way around. This is the problem with too many features like this... the vehicle can never take the place of a human being in making these sorts of judgment calls.

See this thread for a similar issue about a year ago merging onto a high-speed freeway from a stop sign:
"Obstacle detected" - blocking acceleration - very dangerous!

Not sure if anything has changed since then.

Or anything else - like when I can fold my mirrors; I'm really angry that the mirrors now unfold at 10 MPH (UK). I don't like being dictated to!