Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that the Tesla app now shows charging history, so it sounds like something has changed. Let's see what happens but thanks for the comment. Fingers crossed it gets fixed as it's a bit of a lottery at the moment as to whether my car charges or not. Something is causing my pen fault device to trip and I can only imagine the Octopus app is doing something that trips it out.
Can't see why it would trip based on the app. You can turn off IO completely in the app.

if your charger supports scheduling, just temporarily set it to cover the 23:30-5:30 slot as a short term workaound.

Can't see why it would trip based on the app. You can turn off IO completely in the app.

if your charger supports scheduling, just temporarily set it to cover the 23:30-5:30 slot as a short term workaound.
How do I turn off IO in the app? That might be an option to see how I get on.

I've found if I schedule my charge in the Tesla app it seems to work although some evenings my charge gets interrupted and when I check the charger it's powered off. I then check my pen fault and it's tripped. I can't work out what's causing it but it's all coincided when I started having problems with Octopus

How do I turn off IO in the app? That might be an option to see how I get on.

I've found if I schedule my charge in the Tesla app it seems to work although some evenings my charge gets interrupted and when I check the charger it's powered off. I then check my pen fault and it's tripped. I can't work out what's causing it but it's all coincided when I started having problems with Octopus
Are you using the full Octopus app? If so, click on your Profile (top left) > Intelligent Octopus > Smart Charging (option at the bottom)

Apparently Tesla changed something in their API on Friday, which may be a coincidence but may well have broken IO. I expect it will get fixed tomorrow when the Octopus devs are back.
I think it got fixed Friday night/Saturday as I was able to reconnect on Saturday morning and now have everything working as previously including a charging schedule for tonight.

I had to make several attempts to get a test charge to work which it did only after a button/brake reset of the car followed by reconnecting the car to IO via the Octopus app & it then completed the test charge - all of this whilst sitting in the car. When I tried reconnecting IO anywhere but physically being in the car the test charge failed.

I think it got fixed Friday night/Saturday as I was able to reconnect on Saturday morning and now have everything working as previously including a charging schedule for tonight.

I had to make several attempts to get a test charge to work which it did only after a button/brake reset of the car followed by reconnecting the car to IO via the Octopus app & it then completed the test charge - all of this whilst sitting in the car. When I tried reconnecting IO anywhere but physically being in the car the test charge failed.

You reset your car/apps 5 times a day :D

Does anyone know if this new octopus tarriff is going to work with a 3 pin charger for low mileage user? I’ve read about the tarrif loads and still have little knowledge about it. Just find it confusing to read.

Octopus go was never appealing because I only use a 3 pin and can’t make use of the few hours you get to charge your car in off peak?

Is this new tarriff a little more flexible for granny chargers?

Before anyone asks, on my normal tariff 3 pin is a dream, I only do 100 miles a week and I only really charge once due the day and night and it gets my charge back up so have no need for a fast charger.

Just want a way to save a bit more.

Does anyone know if this new octopus tarriff is going to work with a 3 pin charger for low mileage user? I’ve read about the tarrif loads and still have little knowledge about it. Just find it confusing to read.
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Intelligent Octopus uses the car API to start the charge during the hours Octopus choose to be best. You set your required departure time, so the charge should start somewhere in the 6 hour window overnight to be at the required charge when it's done.

Although for your amount of usage I'm not sure it's really worth the effort of getting it all set up. You also need to change to the tariff, which may have a higher unit rate during the day than you have now, so overall you'll likely be out of pocket. You can check the rates here: Octopus Energy

You do also need to have an iPhone, there's no Android app yet.

Octopus go was never appealing because I only use a 3 pin and can’t make use of the few hours you get to charge your car in off peak?

Before anyone asks, on my normal tariff 3 pin is a dream, I only do 100 miles a week and I only really charge once due the day and night and it gets my charge back up so have no need for a fast charger.

Yes mate it will work. One of the charger options at setup time is "generic 2kW charger", so IO plays nice and adjusts your schedule accordingly.

I use it on a granny charger, and it works great. Depending on how much you need to charge, a granny charger with IO can in some ways be better because the car will often start charging earlier in the evening to reach the target charge level, so you will get cheap electricity all through the evening for any other electricity consumption at home.

I assume that octopus intelligent will be much better suited for 3pin chargers right cos they charge it in off-peak and
I use it on a granny charger, and it works great. Depending on how much you need to charge, a granny charger with IO can in some ways be better because the car will often start charging earlier in the evening to reach the target charge level, so you will get cheap electricity all through the evening for any other electricity consumption at home.
yeh so I swapped it today. Will keep an eye on bills to see how things go. Plugged it in at 5pm, and it started charging at 5pm, and my schedule for charge based on IO was 5pm until 5:30am at 7.5p, bargain.

Scheduled my washing machine tonight for midnight. Jobs a gooden so far. I’ll have to keep an eye on things and I’m considering buying a 7kw charger but I’m doubting I’d need to.

Be interesting to see how the scheduling windows play out.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Intelligent Octopus uses the car API to start the charge during the hours Octopus choose to be best. You set your required departure time, so the charge should start somewhere in the 6 hour window overnight to be at the required charge when it's done.

Although for your amount of usage I'm not sure it's really worth the effort of getting it all set up. You also need to change to the tariff, which may have a higher unit rate during the day than you have now, so overall you'll likely be out of pocket. You can check the rates here: Octopus Energy

You do also need to have an iPhone, there's no Android app yet.
Well my chunky devices are a dyson heater in my sons room, mostly use at night so scheduled it to only operate between 23:30-05:30…. I have a washing machine which I’ve just scheduled washes at night now, my car is a super sucker so that’s taken care of at the lower rates.

And well, I have a hot tub, so that’s going to sting me a little at a 30p day rate so will see, only up 9p so will have to see how things pan out I guess.

It’s either 15+kw heater, 1kW washing machine, 10kw+ car, 7kw hot tub per day all on 21p

Or everything on 7p other than the hot tub. I’m hoping the later one prevails

Did anyone get an error when registering, the app (which octpus says is a better way to switch as the website didnt ork for me!) is telling me that it is unable to register vehicle, the email addresses are not replying to me and i'm getting quite frustrated as i've only got a few weeks until I drop off go faster.

Did anyone get an error when registering, the app (which octpus says is a better way to switch as the website didnt ork for me!) is telling me that it is unable to register vehicle, the email addresses are not replying to me and i'm getting quite frustrated as i've only got a few weeks until I drop off go faster.
I had this yesterday morning g, what I think is happening is that it’s still doing a test charge in the background because like all of us, we’re all a little click happy and I think it just overwhelms the app.

I closed the app down a few times, kept going in and then suddenly it was ok.

Finally after nearly 2 weeks of faffing around I managed to get intelligent octopus to link to my car, then it took nearly a day to get it to do the test charge.

So last night was the test, all scheduling on the car off, charge limit set on the octopus app but it didn't charge, when I tried to preheat the car this morning it was stuck in it's deep sleep and unable to wake from app (happens to me every now and again, app only wakes from sleep after I actually go out to the car and get in). Looks like it'll be tonight's charge session that'll be my first session then!

I've been having difficulties with IO again, having re-set it last weekend after it only charged on the first IO slot, ignoring the rest. Since then I hadn't been home to try another charge until last night.
  • Plug in after 5pm, Zappi charger set 'dumb' (Fast 7kW mode) - it charges immediately but indefinitely at peak rate so I have to stop manually even after the IO schedule appears on the app (I didn't let it run more than 5 minutes but I believe it should stop charging after 60-90 seconds?).
  • As above but delay the immediate start using the Tesla app with car charging scheduled from 23.30. However it then charges from 23.30, ignoring the IO slots & completing when the target SOC is reached.
The second option above always worked on-off for each IO slot until two weeks ago - I've asked the Smart team at Octopus about this but all they say is disconnect the device and reconnect (since IO initially failed, the car and Tesla app have both been reset/reconnected as has the Octopus app several times including completed test charges so that isn't the solution).

Is everyone else now able to plug in after 5pm, receive a schedule and the car not charge until the first slot then work correctly for all subsequent & if so what are you doing differently?

So what happens when you initially plug in after 5pm?
Charges for about 45-60 seconds, then stops. Then shows the schedule in the app.

I've done quite a bit of testing about what happens under various conditions. For example if I plug in early, say 2pm, it behaves the same - charges for a minute or so, then stops. Then, around 5pm but sometimes a bit earlier, the schedule will show in the app. So there's no actual need to delay plugging in until after 5pm.