Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charges for about 45-60 seconds, then stops. Then shows the schedule in the app.

I've done quite a bit of testing about what happens under various conditions. For example if I plug in early, say 2pm, it behaves the same - charges for a minute or so, then stops. Then, around 5pm but sometimes a bit earlier, the schedule will show in the app. So there's no actual need to delay plugging in until after 5pm.
Very strange, my charger is set the same as yours 'dumb' & plugged in but always charges immediately & doesn't stop. It never did this prior to two weeks ago.

I will have to start scheduling charges via the Zappi 23.30-05.30 until Octopus find a solution (or other Zappi users on here advise)

Last edited:
Very strange, my charger is set the same as yours 'dumb' & plugged in but always charges immediately & doesn't stop. It never did this prior to two weeks ago.

I will have to start scheduling charges via the Zappi 23.30-05.30 until Octopus find a solution (or other Zappi users on here advise)
Mine was the same due to the issues last weekend, I had to logout of the app and re-add it all, (thus renewing tesla token) and all is fine again.

Just swapped over to intelligent as my Go tariff ran out :(

Got the app set up and the test charge worked fine but it now seems to be constantly waking my car up. Is this normal? I know people at the start of this thread has issues. It seems to be sleeping for an hour and then waking up for a while. Slept fine until IO was added. I have no other apps keeping it awake. The yellow bar in the graph was the test charge.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-16 at 16.02.40.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-16 at 16.02.40.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 83
Just swapped over to intelligent as my Go tariff ran out :(

Got the app set up and the test charge worked fine but it now seems to be constantly waking my car up. Is this normal? I know people at the start of this thread has issues. It seems to be sleeping for an hour and then waking up for a while. Slept fine until IO was added. I have no other apps keeping it awake. The yellow bar in the graph was the test charge.
Same to me! I am trying to understand wtf..

Ok, here's a quick question:
I usually have it on the Scheduled charging, starting 0:30. As this is/was Octopus Go tarrif.

But how to set up charging the car with IO?
Should I leave it on scheduled or leave in standard charging?

Good question and same as I was going to ask. I set up intelligent Octopus yesterday and all seemed to go fine plus I could see the schedules IO times it decide in the app. I also disabled scheduled and off peak charging in the Tesla app, also as I read that the IO software disregards all this anyway. Woke up this morning and no charging had happened - well it hadn’t reached 80% - which is what I set it to and pretty sure no charge added. Today I changed the Tesla app location settings to always connected. Let’s see what happens tonight.

Turn off all scheduling in the car or on your charger and alow IO to do the scheduling charges.

Also, to allow car to sleep once unplugged and driven turn off the smart charging feature on the Octopus app, it stops the car from staying awake.
but it defies all the purpose of IO.. enable/disable smart charging.
If I understand it correctly, IO has a preferable (new) Go tariff (7.50p) from 23:30 to 5:30? so in essence I can disable smart charging in app and use the better tariff during these hours? so in the end of the day it would behave as go faster.... am I right here?

Last edited:
but it defies all the purpose of IO.. enable/disable smart charging.
You turn off all the car and charger based smart features. IO does the "smart" stuff.

IO has a preferable (new) Go tariff (7.50p) from 23:30 to 5:30? so in essence I can disable smart charging in app and use the better tariff during these hours? so in the end of the day it would behave as go faster.... am I right here?
That's against the T&C's of the tariff. In theory Octopus could chuck you off the tariff for signing up to it then perma-disabling their smart charging from the app. Whether they would is another matter.

But more than that why would you want to do it? I'm getting loads of extra HH off peak slots from Octopus that are outside of the guaranteed window, just by letting them control the charge. Yesterday it went all the way through to 9:30am at 5p.

You turn off all the car and charger based smart features. IO does the "smart" stuff.

That's against the T&C's of the tariff. In theory Octopus could chuck you off the tariff for signing up to it then perma-disabling their smart charging from the app. Whether they would is another matter.

But more than that why would you want to do it? I'm getting loads of extra HH off peak slots from Octopus that are outside of the guaranteed window, just by letting them control the charge. Yesterday it went all the way through to 9:30am at 5p.
well, I am annoyed that currently it's bugged out and it prevents my car from sleeping.
1645444150670.png

of course, once I identify if that's really the case, I can then try to play with the app and time slots...

well, I am annoyed that currently it's bugged out and it prevents my car from sleeping.

Then use one of the two workarounds already mentioned in the thread:
Either:

1) keep the car plugged in if it's at home (this ensures it sleeps)
or
2) Disable IO smart-charging in the app e.g. when you and the car at work. If I'm away with the car, I do this. Then when I park up at home just toggle it back on in the app before plugging in. It's very little faff.