Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then use one of the two workarounds already mentioned in the thread:
Either:

1) keep the car plugged in if it's at home (this ensures it sleeps)
or
2) Disable IO smart-charging in the app e.g. when you and the car at work. If I'm away with the car, I do this. Then when I park up at home just toggle it back on in the app before plugging in. It's very little faff.
nut that's the problem - in the pic I posted, the long non-sleep was when car was at home and plugged... nevertheless, will monitor and probably will do as you suggest.

Reactions: browellm
nut that's the problem - in the pic I posted, the long non-sleep was when car was at home and plugged... nevertheless, will monitor and probably will do as you suggest.

I think there's some new behaviour going on which may be a combo of 4.5.3 and the API shenanigans the other week. It looks like the IO team have changed something. This is my plugged in behaviour. Previously it would just sleep all the time.
1645447001848.png

OK, so in general, to sum it all up:
  • Car should be on regular charging, not scheduled in order to use IO's smart scheduler (right?)
  • When at home - always connect charger and enable smart charging in the Octopus app.
  • IO will start charging at the scheduled times, but not earlier than 17:00.
  • You always have 6 hrs of GO off-peak tariff despite smart features enabled or not, starting 23:30 and ending 5:30
  • as it stands, you will have car always online (not sleeping) while not plugged or intermitted sleep while plugged with IO Smart Scheduler enabled
  • When car is not sleeping there is ~4-5% vampire drain per day
  • Car will go to sleep when IO Smart scheduler is disabled.

OK, so in general, to sum it all up:
  • Car should be on regular charging, not scheduled in order to use IO's smart scheduler (right?)
  • When at home - always connect charger and enable smart charging in the Octopus app.
  • IO will start charging at the scheduled times, but not earlier than 17:00.
  • You always have 6 hrs of GO off-peak tariff despite smart features enabled or not, starting 23:30 and ending 5:30
  • as it stands, you will have car always online (not sleeping) while not plugged or intermitted sleep while plugged with IO Smart Scheduler enabled
  • When car is not sleeping there is ~4-5% vampire drain per day
  • Car will go to sleep when IO Smart scheduler is disabled.
  • Correct
  • Correct but better is to have smart charging on first THEN plug in.
  • Correct
  • Yes .... but remember the T&C's of the tariff is for you to use smart charging so if it's not used they may kick you off to a standard tariff
  • Correct, Octopus know this is an issue (probably why it's only open to Tesla initially so they can figure out what problems are coming up) hopefully the sleep/wake will get a fix at some point soon.
  • Correct as the car is continually commuinicating back to tesla's servers
  • Correct

Reactions: yessuz
How do you get the chart when your car is sleeping? Is this a third party app?
yes, Teslamate
i use own raspberry pi server to self host it.

there are loads of tutorials how to set it the way you want, as well as there are alternatives, like teslafi, tessie, etc which provide the same more or less.

My test of last night proved it didn’t charge the car. Bump charge works so I have no idea what’s wrong. Tomorrow I am changing back to Go tariff as I really can’t afford the fact that I’m not in control especially when I’ve got a 3 hour journey to make which is quite often. Sorry IO is a fail for me. May suit you if you don’t do much driving.

My test of last night proved it didn’t charge the car. Bump charge works so I have no idea what’s wrong. Tomorrow I am changing back to Go tariff as I really can’t afford the fact that I’m not in control especially when I’ve got a 3 hour journey to make which is quite often. Sorry IO is a fail for me. May suit you if you don’t do much driving.
My first charge through IO failed also, I think it could have done so due to the fact i'd done the test charge in setup and left it plugged in, I think it needs to be unplugged then plugged in after 5 to work out the correct charging slots. But evey night since it's been perfect.