Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you already have another EV?

I thought we could not switch to IO until in possession of an EV and charger?

My charger is being installed on 19th Sept, and am collecting the car on 21st.
Is it worth me trying to call back and try again? Same as you though, very impressed with their speed and service so far.
Thanks
Sry for late reply - yes, currently have a BMW 330e plug-in hybrid, so I got the test charge completed.
Everything seems to be running nicely now, and confirmed my M3P being delivered on 28/09 - beyond excited :D

Reactions: _Dave_ and browellm
For those with SMETS1 worries, I have an Elster AS300P installed by EON. I swapped to Octopus Flexible last Tuesday, they connected to my meter and I was on Intelligent by Saturday. If you download Loop and can retrieve you meter readings via DCC, then Octopus will be able to also read your meter and you’ll get on Go.

Reactions: MattM76
For those with SMETS1 worries, I have an Elster AS300P installed by EON. I swapped to Octopus Flexible last Tuesday, they connected to my meter and I was on Intelligent by Saturday. If you download Loop and can retrieve you meter readings via DCC, then Octopus will be able to also read your meter and you’ll get on Go.

yeah I have an AS300P from british gas and its fine. The Gas however has lost contact with Octopus but thats single rate so less of an issue, can give meter readings monthly

Switched as of 1Sep as new customer and they can’t read the meter so far, was told that they would need to check software somehow and if still not accessible, meter will need to be replaced…it is a shame more calls/investigations in the way before all can be sorted…wouldn’t it be great if tech/systems did work straight away majority of the time….
Interesting that they told you that they would switch the meter as I switched to Octopus a couple of weeks ago and was then told my SMETS1 meter wouldn’t do half-hourly and they weren’t allowed to replace it as I already had a smart meter. They said that they have to do a modification which can take up to 6 months to implement. Has anyone else been told this?

Interesting that they told you that they would switch the meter as I switched to Octopus a couple of weeks ago and was then told my SMETS1 meter wouldn’t do half-hourly and they weren’t allowed to replace it as I already had a smart meter. They said that they have to do a modification which can take up to 6 months to implement. Has anyone else been told this?
If you download Loop and can retrieve you meter readings via DCC, then Octopus will be able to also read your meter and you’ll get on Go

Reactions: HowieR
If you download Loop and can retrieve you meter readings via DCC, then Octopus will be able to also read your meter and you’ll get on Go
Thanks. I’ve tried your suggestion and Loop says it’s a first generation smart meter and can’t read the results so I guess that’s what the issue is with Octopus. However, my previous supplier, BG, seemed to do so with no problem?

Started my switch to Octopus today, moving onto the SVR initially, but I explained the situation (i.e. impending EV) to the nice chap on the phone, and said I'll be best calling back in a couple of days to get onto the Go tariff - fingers crossed that goes smoothly so I can get locked in for the next year.

Will be interesting to see what Lizzy announces this week on energy.

I had this in mind whilst on hold with Octopus, but thought it was better to get the ball rolling either way. I've had no real issues with EDF over the years, but they've stopped their EV tariffs currently, which kind of forced my hand. Have heard a lot of positives related to Octopus over the years (more recently from these forums) so decided to bite the bullet.

Started my switch to Octopus today, moving onto the SVR initially, but I explained the situation (i.e. impending EV) to the nice chap on the phone, and said I'll be best calling back in a couple of days to get onto the Go tariff - fingers crossed that goes smoothly so I can get locked in for the next year.
Worked for me, once you get the switch confirmation you can either follow a link to apply for go or call up. Also consider Go Faster where you can chose your off peak period (and don’t forget to tell them a referral code to pick up £50 credit for you and someone on here).

Reactions: rowedav
There are no exit fees with Go, so if something better comes along you can switch it out.

Also the most optimistic scenario is a fix on Octobers prices throughout winter and beyond and this lasting for a while to pay back what the government cover when gas prices drop.

There are no exit fees with Go, so if something better comes along you can switch it out.

Also the most optimistic scenario is a fix on Octobers prices throughout winter and beyond and this lasting for a while to pay back what the government cover when gas prices drop.
True but I don't want to pay the higher KWh and daily rate for Go for a month if I don't have to. Retired and low mileage so the overnight rate does not help much. Need to read the small print to see if a fixed tariff exempts you from the expected payback later if the standard rate is capped. As I said, spreadsheet at the ready!
Blue

True but I don't want to pay the higher KWh and daily rate for Go for a month if I don't have to. Retired and low mileage so the overnight rate does not help much. Need to read the small print to see if a fixed tariff exempts you from the expected payback later if the standard rate is capped. As I said, spreadsheet at the ready!
Blue
That’s fair. I have two kids, one of whom is a teenager and teenagers are like a plague of locusts on a households resources.

Reactions: _Dave_
Blue
Personally I would lock the Go price in now just in case it does go up. Then exit free if it ends up not good for you after the support announcement. Nothing to lose, all to gain.

I'm getting far too into the bloody smart meter monitoring (it's the new 'Tesla Shipping'!).

I'm on Octopus Go. I have smart plugs, set to come on at 1-3am, which charge the kids' iPads and phones, games controllers etc (not always or all of them each night, but a couple), plus a dishwasher on around the same time. It's 1hr 9mins for the eco load.

I'm waking up and checking the meter about 7am and it's saying I've spent £1.15-odd already (each day). I'm using 0.06p/hr or thereabouts at that time for whatever is on or on standby (Fridge, Microwave, etc etc).

As I understand it (and I won't tell you what my wife called me when I suggested I'd stay up till midnight for a check...), at midnight, it should reset to 0.00 (the meter, not the clock :D ) and probably then instantly applies the daily standing charge of 41.39p (unless I have that wrong and it would ensure my day finishes at at least that amount each day?). So how am I reaching £1.15-ish by 7am each morning? I've not worked it out yet. The app isn't too much help in terms of detail, but seems OK and as expected. Today, I can only see detail for Yesterday/Sunday (and we had 5 extra members of family staying over, having coffees and showers etc, hence the spike at 8 or 9. Not that I was counting or resenting each time the kettle went on... ).
But as you can see there's a little jump at 2am as expected. According to the smart meter, we're ending the day on about £4.50 spent.

Anything I'm missing? Worth a call to Octopus?
thanks!

IMG_5029.jpg
IMG_A7358D5D1D7E-1.jpeg