Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

Don’t you get charged according to supply rating though? So you pay more for being able to consume more power in addition to cost of energy?

I guess it’s how the standing charge is priced. In England it once wasn’t uncommon to pay a standing charge for each metered phase.
Yes, your standing charge is proportional to the "contracted power".
It's just another way of doing things, but I find that particular way pretty annoying.

Reactions: MrBadger
Upvote 0
Don’t you get charged according to supply rating though? So you pay more for being able to consume more power in addition to cost of energy?

I guess it’s how the standing charge is priced. In England it once wasn’t uncommon to pay a standing charge for each metered phase.

I'm in the West Midlands UK, and we only pay a single standing charge (same cost as everybody else), but we just have a single 3-Phase smart meter.

The biggest benefit is being able to charge multiple high demand devices during cheap time-restricted periods.

Plugging in two cars and getting fast charging, while charging home battery storage, plus running the house... without having to stop and think about 'rotation' or 'scheduling' or 'who gets to charge first'... nice

Last edited:
Reactions: phil4 and Pink Duck
Upvote 0
Yep... made £ 10.30 in one hour.

That'll do...

4.58 kWh exported is equivalent of 137 kWh back, in free Grid Power. Which is a lot of free energy in the Winter months.

Screenshot_20231123_204104_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231123_195201_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I exported 8kWh but got a “saving” of around 6.5kWh
I’d been exporting occasionally to make some money and “help the grid” during peak time. I don’t think I’ll be doing that again…
Still, that’s around £14 of electricity or nearly 190kWh for “free”. I’m not complaining. 😄
Roll on the next 11 sessions!

I start exporting every day at about 20:30 to 21:30 ...

I think that should be outside the Saving Sessions maybe? I think the 'peak' times are between 4pm and 7pm

Upvote 0
Results from the last one are in for me. I made 20p but I forgot to turn anything off.
I used precisely 0kWh during the session & apparently earned 9p based on our average usage. This is my second highest payout since the first saving session last year.

It's also a timely reminder to chastise my wife for a target based on her ongoing extravagance compared to my iron will in achieving such a monumental result.

Last edited:
Upvote 0